Top 5 Countries you have Visited

Lost Boy

5 hours ago, Carborendum said:

They don't like Americans either.  In the front, the waiters and stewards are all smiles because it is a service industry.  Sales clerks will be nice and polite because they need to sell something.  As soon as the Americans are out the door, they will huff and puff about "Yet another puritanical hypocrite who doesn't care about anyone else but Americans."

They have to be nice so we will spend money there.

Korea does the same thing.  A friend in the military was also a returned missionary from Korea.  It was because he spoke the language fluently that he was given priority for assignment there.

He went into a store to browse.  While browsing he heard the conversation of the clerks.  They were complaining about how they have to deal with these "Americans".  They admitted that Americans were the primary source of income, so they continue to be polite.  But sometimes they wished they could deal with more Korean customers.  They then went on a long American bashing fest.

As he brought his item forward to the counter, the clerks both smiled brightly and spoke very polite broken English.  He asked them in perfectly fluent Korean why they would speak so badly about the customers that supported their business.  

You can imagine all the apologies.  This man and they guy with him walked out with more free stuff than the stuff that they actually had to pay for.  He said that this happened a lot.

That sounds similar to experiences in Japan, though there I think it is that they are very racist.  The way they categorize people seems to be Japanese at the very top.  Then, you go down quite a ways and you have Americans (US).  Then, much further down you have others (such as Chinese).  And then even further down you have others.  They are VERY polite though and unless you see what goes on after someone leaves you will never even have a clue that they have such feelings.

It will be ironic that you will have Americans who think that Japanese put Americans higher then themselves, but as soon as that American leaves the gossip (or backbiting or what ever one wants to call it) starts fiercely.  I know one Japanese History Professor who took this in a very bad way.  He understood everything they were saying about him at various places and developed a nasty case of anger towards them in that way (an irony seeing what he specialized in).  He liked to point out that he knew their language, history, and other aspects of Japan even better than they did.  I'm not all that certain that improved their view of him or not.  They did seem to react even more polite when he started talking to them, but I never saw what their reactions were after we left.  From their reactions prior, I'd imagine not good, but since I didn't see it, can't be sure.

I don't have a ton of experience with the French people.  My brief encounters, to me, seem to make it feel like their attitudes are very close to Americans (US) in many ways, perhaps closer than others in Europe.  The area where I do see a lot of the French influence is entertainment.  They are a pretty big into making movies in France as well, kind of like a Hollywood of Europe.  Their movies do not seem to make the transition to the US as much, but some of them get pretty well distributed in parts of Europe. 

Edited by JohnsonJones

I've only got three.  Canada, Mexico and the Netherlands.  Mexico was a quick trip to Tijuana so I don't really count that as culturally significant.   I loved Amsterdam but could never live there.  Canada was beautiful (Vancouver and I really loved Victoria). 

On 5/18/2018 at 8:12 PM, bytebear said:

I've only got three.  Canada, Mexico and the Netherlands.  Mexico was a quick trip to Tijuana so I don't really count that as culturally significant.   I loved Amsterdam but could never live there.  Canada was beautiful (Vancouver and I really loved Victoria). 

My favorite thing about Vancouver is you can be in 75 degree weather and if you decide you want to enjoy some snow, you just drive up the mountain.  It's perfect for Filipinos who like to enjoy winter activities but not quite commit to not being able to wear flip flips everywhere.  Hah hah.

13 hours ago, anatess2 said:

My favorite thing about Vancouver is you can be in 75 degree weather and if you decide you want to enjoy some snow, you just drive up the mountain.  It's perfect for Filipinos who like to enjoy winter activities but not quite commit to not being able to wear flip flips everywhere.  Hah hah.

You should move to California.  No need to go to Canada.:)

There is a large Filipino community here in the Bay Area.  Many Filipino restaurants etc. etc.

Edited by mrmarklin

My top five that I have actually visited in order of preference:

England.  This was the HQ of a large empire, and it shows.  Many spectacular buildings, and historical places.  The food has improved significantly since I first started going in 2002.

Germany  This is the model train capital of the world, and that's my main hobby.  I've met many fine people from this country that I now count as friends.  I have been all over Deutschland and even have studied and picked up a little German language skills.

Mexico  The variety of scenery and historicity in Mexico is unmatched in the western hemisphere.  Food is also awesome.

Peru  If you have not been to Machu Picchu and Cuzco you need to put it on your bucket list now.  It's world class.  The Seafood in Peru is world class as well  None better and I've eaten in some of the world's finest restaurants.

I'll stop at four, because none of the many other countries I've been to stand out in particular.  All places I have been have very nice attractions.  That's why I went in the first place.

The above being said, living here in the USA is still the best combination of lifestyle and value.  Except for the politics, I love California.  As to weather, scenery, recreation and food options, we have it all.  Luckily, the nasty politics (as well as ridiculous housing costs) will keep many people from moving here.<_<  We have way too many people now.

Edited by mrmarklin

12 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

You should move to California.  No need to go to Canada.:)

There is a large Filipino community here in the Bay Area.  Many Filipino restaurants etc. etc.

Been there, done that.  I lived in San Francisco, San Jose, Van Nuys, and West Covina.

2 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I’d rather drive pencils in my ears.  

When I migrated to the US, I didn't have a specific destination.  So I went to San Francisco because of Silicon Valley.  I got tired of living in a 1-bedroom apartment with 7 other people so I moved to San Jose.  It was still too expensive for me and I couldn't save up so I moved to Van Nuys which was crime infested so my uncle in West Covina took me in.  Nice house overlooking the valley, the view at night was breathtaking.  The Filipino community made me feel weird - they ask me what my visa status is before they ask me my name.  The drive from West Covina to LA was a headache - the traffic is ridiculous and you see this gray haze like a blanket over LA.  I moved to live with my cousin in Houston.  Didn't quite feel comfortable there either so I moved an hour east of Cleveland.  Didn't last more than 2 winters there so I ended up in Florida.  Loved it but I didn't have family there at the time.  I  tried New Jersey, New York, New Hampshire, the Carolinas, Mississippi.  They're all ok, but Florida is more... me, so I decided to stay in Florida.  Then I met my husband so I stopped moving around.

Anyway, I don't think I'll ever live in California again.  The Pacific is cold even in the summer.  The Atlantic is more my style.  The Gulf is too much like a big swimming pool, not much action.

On 5/18/2018 at 12:08 AM, MaryJehanne said:

I've never been outside the country (yet!), but I can list my top 5 wishlist (not really in order except by location)! (By the way, just 5 was near murder, so added honorable mentions :))

• Japan
  • China
  • France
  • UK
  • Ireland

Honorable mentions: Italy, Greece, Russia, Thailand

Okay, I spent way to long deciding what should go on this list! Suffice to say it's a possibility I might move some around if I were polled again in the future. ^_^

Ouch, never been outside the country?  So much to see.  I lived in Japan for 6 years.  Absolutely fascinating country.  So much to see and do there.  Temples, shrines, beautiful mountains, rivers, lakes, hot springs, food, ocean, etc.

I go back on occasion and never tire of exploring.

31 minutes ago, bigcreek said:

Ive only been to three countries. USA, Fiji for a layover in the airport, and New Zealand for a couple years. New Zealand was absolutely amazing but of course there is no place like home as they say.

Home is home, but man I love to explore.

22 hours ago, anatess2 said:

When I migrated to the US, I didn't have a specific destination.  So I went to San Francisco because of Silicon Valley.  I got tired of living in a 1-bedroom apartment with 7 other people so I moved to San Jose.  It was still too expensive for me and I couldn't save up so I moved to Van Nuys which was crime infested so my uncle in West Covina took me in.  Nice house overlooking the valley, the view at night was breathtaking.  The Filipino community made me feel weird - they ask me what my visa status is before they ask me my name.  The drive from West Covina to LA was a headache - the traffic is ridiculous and you see this gray haze like a blanket over LA.  I moved to live with my cousin in Houston.  Didn't quite feel comfortable there either so I moved an hour east of Cleveland.  Didn't last more than 2 winters there so I ended up in Florida.  Loved it but I didn't have family there at the time.  I  tried New Jersey, New York, New Hampshire, the Carolinas, Mississippi.  They're all ok, but Florida is more... me, so I decided to stay in Florida.  Then I met my husband so I stopped moving around.

Anyway, I don't think I'll ever live in California again.  The Pacific is cold even in the summer.  The Atlantic is more my style.  The Gulf is too much like a big swimming pool, not much action.

Dang, I thought I had moved around a lot.  I like the North West the best, but I don't currently live there.  Maybe some day.

On 5/18/2018 at 2:51 PM, JohnsonJones said:

That sounds similar to experiences in Japan, though there I think it is that they are very racist.  The way they categorize people seems to be Japanese at the very top.  Then, you go down quite a ways and you have Americans (US).  Then, much further down you have others (such as Chinese).  And then even further down you have others.  They are VERY polite though and unless you see what goes on after someone leaves you will never even have a clue that they have such feelings.

It will be ironic that you will have Americans who think that Japanese put Americans higher then themselves, but as soon as that American leaves the gossip (or backbiting or what ever one wants to call it) starts fiercely.  I know one Japanese History Professor who took this in a very bad way.  He understood everything they were saying about him at various places and developed a nasty case of anger towards them in that way (an irony seeing what he specialized in).  He liked to point out that he knew their language, history, and other aspects of Japan even better than they did.  I'm not all that certain that improved their view of him or not.  They did seem to react even more polite when he started talking to them, but I never saw what their reactions were after we left.  From their reactions prior, I'd imagine not good, but since I didn't see it, can't be sure.

I don't have a ton of experience with the French people.  My brief encounters, to me, seem to make it feel like their attitudes are very close to Americans (US) in many ways, perhaps closer than others in Europe.  The area where I do see a lot of the French influence is entertainment.  They are a pretty big into making movies in France as well, kind of like a Hollywood of Europe.  Their movies do not seem to make the transition to the US as much, but some of them get pretty well distributed in parts of Europe. 

I've spent plenty of time in Japan myself.  Lived there 6 years and speak the language quite well.  Yeah, the Japanese are racist.  That said their racism is somehow different from American racism.  I am not saying it is good... just different.  Basically, I think they think of themselves as intellectually superior.  I've been to around 40 countries and what I can say is that there are smart and stupid people wherever you go.

The Japanese are usually a bit more disciplined though.  

And yes, I will catch people talking about me all the time on the train and in stores, etc.  However, when I first went there it was kind of shocking to them to hear a foreigner speak Japanese.  Now not nearly as much.

What is fun is going there with an American Japanese that doesn't speak Japanese.  You go to a restaurant and the waitress will always turn to the Japanese person to take the order.  Of course that person doesn't have a clue as to what is being said.  Good times.