Guns and Stuff.

2ndRateMind

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

But I guess this guy is too old? 

1433778532Pai_Mei_Beard.gif.09617a8fb5f6df90b19d46fbd22ab309.gif

I think he could take you.

Bruce Lee carried a .45 wherever he went. If it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me. 

11 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

Make them go to school year round with a couple of 2-3 week vacations here and there.

Sounds hellish. I assume you will make provisions for those loving parents who don't want their children raised by government employees.

12 minutes ago, Vort said:

Sounds hellish. I assume you will make provisions for those loving parents who don't want their children raised by government employees.

Most of the world is similar.  As for the parents that want to damn their kids to social awkwardness and a college degree in history, sure, I have no problem with that. 

4 minutes ago, Grunt said:

You think gun regulations will stop that?

Thanks.

Stop as in eliminate?  No.

Reduce?  Absolutely

i don't think most people who do this sort of thing are consistently hell-bent, year after year, to get a gun through any illegal means possible and go in and murder children at a school, shoot up their workplace, kill their wife., etc.,.  i think making things 20-30% harder would put it past the reach of quite a few for the time it needed to.  

And again, i recognize the right people have to own guns.  Anyone who says i am for the elimination of all guns has every right to say/believe that, but i'd have to disagree.

Anyways, will leave it there.  Just my (imperfect) thoughts.  

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

Thanks.

Reduce?  Absolutely

i don't think most people who do this sort of thing are consistently hell-bent, year after year, to get a gun through any illegal means possible and go in and murder children at a school, shoot up their workplace, kill their wife., etc.,.  i think making things 20-30% harder would put it past the reach of quite a few for the time it needed to.  

And again, i recognize the right people have to own guns.  Anyone who says i am for the elimination of all guns has every right to say/believe that, but i'd have to disagree.

Great points  @lostinwater

9 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

Thanks.

Reduce?  Absolutely

While you are entitled to think and feel this way... It is an emotional response that runs counter to the evidence.  In the USA the more restrictive the gun laws... the higher the murder rate.  (aka Chicago).  I am all for stopping the gun violence among school kids... but I want something that we have evidence might work..    Not an emotional, feel good, do something, response that does nothing but make things harder for the people that obey the laws.

2 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

Most of the world is similar.  As for the parents that want to damn their kids to social awkwardness and a college degree in history, sure, I have no problem with that. 

Pack your bags.  We're going on a threadjack...

I hope you were joking.  After all we've said on the forum about homeschooling...?

1433778532Pai_Mei_Beard.gif

images.jpg

Guest MormonGator
Just now, lostinwater said:

You are far too kind!

i suspect that sentiment may not be shared.  And even if it was, i'd have to truthfully admit that i just stole those points from someone else!  :) 

lol. It's a good thing to express other viewpoints. Sometimes this place can be an echo chamber. And if you plagiarized them-well, that's how @Carborendum made it through college, so don't worry about it. 

(national pick on @Carborendum day. Every day is pick on @Vort day) 

3 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

You are far too kind!

i suspect that sentiment may not be shared.  And even if it was, i'd have to truthfully admit that i just stole those points from someone else!  :) 

It's a good thing to express other viewpoints. Sometimes this place can be an echo chamber. So don't worry about it. 

Right, @MormonGator?

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Carborendum said:

It's a good thing to express other viewpoints. Sometimes this place can be an echo chamber. So don't worry about it. 

Right, @MormonGator?

lol. That's awesome. Lol 

7 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Pack your bags.  We're going on a threadjack...

I hope you were joking.  After all we've said on the forum about homeschooling...?

1433778532Pai_Mei_Beard.gif

images.jpg

I think I just pushed the hyperspeed button.

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

lol. It's a good thing to express other viewpoints. Sometimes this place can be an echo chamber. And if you plagiarized them-well, that's how @Carborendum made it through college, so don't worry about it. 

(national pick on @Carborendum day. Every day is pick on @Vort day) 

:) 

i read a book recently about an old Jewish man who observed that as long as you plagiarize enough times from enough unique sources, it transforms plagiarism into research!

Along the lines of national days....actually, this week is National Peace Officer's Week.

In the hope of somewhat atoning for the extreme side of the gun control movement, i want to personally thank @mirkwood and @Just_A_Guy - and any other law/peace officers i am not aware of - for all the times they've bravely had to use firearms to help keep all the snowflakes like me who are floating around out there safe.

5 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

I think I just pushed the hyperspeed button.

You know what was really funny?  I didn't even add those images.  They got left over from a previous post and inserted on their own.

When I saw them pop up on the post, I thought,"PRICELESS!!!"

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, lostinwater said:

In the hope of somewhat atoning for the extreme side of the gun control movement, i want to personally thank @mirkwood and @Just_A_Guy - and any other law/peace officers i am not aware of - for all the times they've bravely had to use firearms to help keep all the snowflakes like me who are floating around out there safe.

Beautifully said!

1 hour ago, Lost Boy said:

However, I know a lot of gun owners that talk up how they would take out a perp as if a perp is not human.  They are scum, but still human.  So I don't think a lot of people have truly thought it through.  I would dare bet that many don't realize what they have done until after the deed.  I have heard of people needing a lot of counseling afterwards.  That is why I don't talk up self defense.  I have a german shepherd to keep the peeps out of the house and to go on walks with the girls.  I doubt she would really do anything, but her bark is intimidating enough.

Good luck

8 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

:) 

i read a book recently about an old Jewish man who observed that as long as you plagiarize enough times from enough unique sources, it transforms plagiarism into research!

Along the lines of national days....actually, this week is National Peace Officer's Week.

You’re very kind, but though I work with law enforcement I’m not actually a police officer.  @mirkwood is, though. 

9 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Dear Mr. Hippo,

What are you stuffed with?

--- Curiously, The Grindstone.

hippo2.thumb.jpg.69b33c0b88d1e16572a48db4a69896c6.jpg

(You'll have to forgive Mr. Hippo for missing the closing parenthesis - he's not a programmer, you know.)

Edited by zil