Remembering Infancy

SilentOne

A couple weeks ago I was wondering what was going on in my cousin's young son's mind. This lead to thoughts of the speculations some have made about the veil not being fully there yet for babies, then thoughts about when the veil would be removed from our minds.

And then I wondered if when the veil was removed, we would remember our babiehoods.

What do you think? Will we remember what it was like to be babies? Will we remember what we knew and remembered as babies? If so, when do you think these memories will be restored?

1 hour ago, SilentOne said:

then thoughts about when the veil would be removed from our minds.

Here is an AskGramps answer regarding "when" it will be lifted.
The same gradual process of removing the veil 'may' be the same kind of gradual process by which the veil is originally placed on us?

Along this same thought, on lds.org in Introduction to Family History Student Manual  Chapter 9: The Spirit World  and Redemption of the Dead, Elder Neal A. Maxwell states:  “The veil of forgetfulness of the first estate apparently will not be suddenly, automatically, and totally removed…”

If it is not suddenly "removed", perhaps it is not suddenly "placed" either?

44 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Here is an AskGramps answer regarding "when" it will be lifted.
The same gradual process of removing the veil 'may' be the same kind of gradual process by which the veil is originally placed on us?

If it is not suddenly "removed", perhaps it is not suddenly "placed" either?

My mother believes that the veil comes and goes in infancy

I have had incidents where someone has reminded me of something that happened in my earlier life and then suddenly it all comes back to me.  I have other parts of my life I can't remember at all.  For example I remember the year I was a Junior in college and had to help with the graduation because I worked on campus at the time, but I don't remember a thing about my own graduation at all.  I don't remember the venue, or walking across the stage or anything.  I don't know why.   I wonder if I missed it for some reason, but I don't remember that either.

I do remember sitting on a couch in my basement when my grandpa was putting decorative tiles on the ceiling.  I was probably less than 2 years old.

But I believe all of my memories will be restored, to the detail where I will know every name of every person I ever met, every detail of every event in perfect clarity.

7 hours ago, SilentOne said:

A couple weeks ago I was wondering what was going on in my cousin's young son's mind. This lead to thoughts of the speculations some have made about the veil not being fully there yet for babies, then thoughts about when the veil would be removed from our minds.

And then I wondered if when the veil was removed, we would remember our babiehoods.

What do you think? Will we remember what it was like to be babies? Will we remember what we knew and remembered as babies? If so, when do you think these memories will be restored?

Of course we would.  Why wouldn't we?  The thing is that I don't think there will be much to remember.  We ate, slept, and pooped.  What is there to remember?

Come to think of it... how is the rest of our lives much different? :) 

22 hours ago, SilentOne said:

Early childhood is a very mysterious thing. I think Wordsworth was well aware of that. ("Not in complete forgetfulness and not in utter nakedness...")

When my daughter first started to talk, she was always telling us about her "cat". It was always "my cat this" and "my cat that". We actually had a family cat - Tabitha - (very old then, and no longer with us now) but she was very clear that "her cat" was not "Tabtabuth" (as she called her).

Around that time I read a book by Doreen Virtue (my wife is a great fan of her's - in fact I've even met her), which talked about how we have "animal guides" in our early youth. I often wondered if my daughter's "cat" might have been one of those.

When I ask my daughter about it now, she does not remember at all.

23 hours ago, SilentOne said:

If memories of my experiences as a baby were sweet ones, then the prospect certainly sounds appealing--for example the memory of the first time I saw my parents faces. (I'm not sure I would enjoy the ability to remember experiences that made me cry, unless remembering such experiences were of themselves to have a constructive impact on my eternal progression. It seems to me that they are of no value to me in this mortal sphere since an experience unremembered strikes me as being the same as not having the experience in the first place). And if, as a baby,  I possessed any memories of the pre-mortal existence I wonder how to describe them beyond dream-like images.  

Edited by Mike

On 5/20/2018 at 6:59 PM, Carborendum said:

Of course we would.  Why wouldn't we?  The thing is that I don't think there will be much to remember.  We ate, slept, and pooped.  What is there to remember?

I'm mostly interested in remembering what I remembered and what I thought about.

On 5/20/2018 at 12:08 PM, SilentOne said:

You never remember the start of a dream or the moment you went into a hypnotic trance.  Coincidence?

On 5/26/2018 at 7:19 PM, SilentOne said:

I'm mostly interested in remembering what I remembered and what I thought about.

I could tell you, but people would have a tendency to stone me.