‘Boy Scout’ Policy Requires Condoms to be ‘Readily and Easily Accessible to All Participants’ at World Jamboree Scouting Event

mirkwood

The guidelines require that host organizations, who in this case include the former Boy Scouts of America (now Scouts BSA),

“… ensure that condoms are readily and easily accessible for all participants and IST [staff] at a number of locations on the site. Heads of Contingent must be informed in advance and made aware of their responsibility in communicating this policy to their Participants, Unit Leaders, Contingent Staff, and IST in an appropriate way.” (See Guideline 7.3 on page 10 of the document.) 

https://drrichswier.com/2018/05/21/boy-scout-policy-requires-condoms-to-be-readily-and-easily-accessible-to-all-participants-at-world-jamboree-scouting-event/

https://flfamily.org/press-releases/boyscoutsworldjamboree2019

Ok.  I see two news stories pointing to the official Scouts 24th World Scout Jamboree page.    It's a link to a document on scout.org.  The scout.org website also has a link to the WSJ page here: https://www.2019wsj.org/

These two news stories both claim this document, which talks about making condoms available, is an official governing document of the WSJ.  However, the link they provide is not a link to the WSJ, but instead is a link to a a place called issuu.com, which is a free document hosting website unaffiliated with any organization.

What I do not see, is a link to this document with a scandalous section 7.3, from the WSB. 

At this point, not sure if this is real news or fake news...

3 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

At this point, not sure if this is real news or fake news...

The fact that we're wondering if this is real or fake rather than dismissing it out of hand for its ridiculousness is already telling of how far the BSA has gone down the sewage pipe.

"This decision was made by the World Organization of the Scout Movement, not Boy Scouts of America; condoms have been available at these events since the early 1990s and an official policy mandating condoms was implemented in 2002; the 2019 World Scout Jamboree won’t be the first such event with women and girls in attendance.

What isn’t clear from Snopes is whether the Scouts BSA isn’t part of the organization of the World Scouts. Fortunately a quick look at the about section of the Scouts BSA answers that question in the affirmative."

-Keachfan (Reformed Baptist)

hey, looks like JAG already got. I'll just add another

On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country, and to obey the scout law, to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight. 

There goes:

Duty to God.

Mentally awake.

Morally straight.

Scouts of the BSA.... Whatever....

I have to admit this new policy makes me wonder why the Church is waiting through the end of 2019 to leave the BSA. It also reinforces my decision from this year not to donate one cent to friends of scouting.

On the other hand I continue to believe the number 1 reason the LDS Church left BSA is its desire to develop a unified world-wide program. 

That said, I also have to say I have yet to see a satisfactory explaination of why this move is needed. The line spewed by some "scouts do not exist in msot of the world outside the US" is just plain false. The national with the most scouts, several times the US number, is Indonesia. India has more scouts than the US, but probably fewer per capita, especially for the eligible age range. In India scouting and guiding (more or less like girl scouts in the US) merged into one nationwide body, but individual local units remain single sex. On the other hand Canadian scouts have been fully coed since the late 1990s, and started going coed in the late 1970s, yet the LDS Church has sponsored scouts Canada units to the present and will through Dec 31, 2019.

I think there are real reason the LDS Church does not sponsor scout troops in Britain and many other countries, but the reasons remain unclear. I believe the LDS Church did sponsor scouts troops in Germany before the rise of Hitler, but the Church was forced to end them when Hitler destroyed scouting and started the Hitler Youth. I am not sure if the LDS Church ever sponsored scouting in post- World War II Germany.

20 minutes ago, John_Pack_Lambert said:

I have to admit this new policy makes me wonder why the Church is waiting through the end of 2019 to leave the BSA.

Takes time to develop the new program.

On the other hand I continue to believe the number 1 reason the LDS Church left BSA is its desire to develop a unified world-wide program. 

Same.

That said, I also have to say I have yet to see a satisfactory explaination of why this move is needed. The line spewed by some "scouts do not exist in msot of the world outside the US" is just plain false. The national with the most scouts, several times the US number, is Indonesia. India has more scouts than the US, but probably fewer per capita, especially for the eligible age range. In India scouting and guiding (more or less like girl scouts in the US) merged into one nationwide body, but individual local units remain single sex. On the other hand Canadian scouts have been fully coed since the late 1990s, and started going coed in the late 1970s, yet the LDS Church has sponsored scouts Canada units to the present and will through Dec 31, 2019.

These are all haphazard programs that are all different, with different values, and don't exist all places.  Much simpler to have one worldwide program to teach LDS values to LDS young people worldwide.

I think Jane Doe is onto something when she says that Boy Scouts programs have different values in different places. 

There may also be an issue with the latitude various scout organizations give to sponsoring organizations in running the program per their values.

There is also an issue of how much scouting promotes values of nationalism. While in the Church we teach to be good citizens, some argue that scouting in some ways teaches valuing the nation you live in too much.

I think the inherent difficulty and oddity of the LDS Church sponsoring an organization not controlled by the LDS Church is in and of itself reason enough for the Church to leave scouting. This is the only non-LDS controlled outside organization that the Church sponsors in this way. While the Church does support and work with outside organizations in some other contexts, those do not invovle the Church giving people callings to work in those organizations.