Went To Do Baptisms For The Dead

My family just went to the temple today to do baptisms for the dead.  While we were waiting our turn, the family before us had no males, so they asked a temple worker to do the baptizing of the family.  And I was asked to be one of the witnesses.

I soon noticed that the worker had Down's Syndrome.  It was an interesting thing to watch.  To be honest it was both inspiring & distracting.  I was wondering about this brother (he appeared to be about middle age).  He was at a first grade reading level.  He slowly read each word at a time.  He couldn't remember the sister's name and had to be reminded each time.  He had help with each name that was being baptized. 

But the one thing he remembered was "Jesus Christ."  Each time through, he forgot each and every single word and had to re-read the entire prayer.  But he remembered the name of Jesus.

Sometimes people wonder if someone with such a handicap can actually have a testimony or even comprehend what the gospel is about.  After watching this man perform this ordinance, witnessing the validity of the ordinance he was performing, I felt something of his spirit.  He was so happy with each and every baptism.  That innocent smile of pure joy.  If my impressions are to be regarded at all on this matter, I'd say that he did indeed have a testimony. 

He may not understand all that we (supposedly "normal" people) understand.  But I believe he understood enough, and that he understood something on some level more than we do.  He knew the name of Jesus.  And he knew who He was.  I believe that his testimony was true and pure.

After the baptisms, he was my partner in confirming all the same people who were just baptized.  He had a very happy smile and disposition.  I really like being around someone so pure.  I just feel relaxed around them.  I still have some tender feelings as I think back on him.

I have thought about him many times today.  I considered how much difficulty he had with reading, speaking, understanding procedures, etc.  But somehow he understood how important it was that we do ordinances in the temple.  I'm having difficulty getting my business growing.  But he has difficulty reading.  I often feel ashamed for being so shallow that I don't give thanks for the things I take for granted so often.

We might study the letter of the law.  We might even ponder the great meaning of deep doctrines.  But here was this gentle brother -- simply participating in pure religion undefiled before God and feeling the great Spirit that came with it.

• 5 years later...
On 5/23/2018 at 3:00 PM, Guest said:

My family just went to the temple today to do baptisms for the dead.  While we were waiting our turn, the family before us had no males, so they asked a temple worker to do the baptizing of the family.  And I was asked to be one of the witnesses.

I soon noticed that the worker had Down's Syndrome.  It was an interesting thing to watch.  To be honest it was both inspiring & distracting.  I was wondering about this brother (he appeared to be about middle age).  He was at a first grade reading level.  He slowly read each word at a time.  He couldn't remember the sister's name and had to be reminded each time.  He had help with each name that was being baptized. 

But the one thing he remembered was "Jesus Christ."  Each time through, he forgot each and every single word and had to re-read the entire prayer.  But he remembered the name of Jesus.

Sometimes people wonder if someone with such a handicap can actually have a testimony or even comprehend what the gospel is about.  After watching this man perform this ordinance, witnessing the validity of the ordinance he was performing, I felt something of his spirit.  He was so happy with each and every baptism.  That innocent smile of pure joy.  If my impressions are to be regarded at all on this matter, I'd say that he did indeed have a testimony. 

He may not understand all that we (supposedly "normal" people) understand.  But I believe he understood enough, and that he understood something on some level more than we do.  He knew the name of Jesus.  And he knew who He was.  I believe that his testimony was true and pure.

After the baptisms, he was my partner in confirming all the same people who were just baptized.  He had a very happy smile and disposition.  I really like being around someone so pure.  I just feel relaxed around them.  I still have some tender feelings as I think back on him.

I have thought about him many times today.  I considered how much difficulty he had with reading, speaking, understanding procedures, etc.  But somehow he understood how important it was that we do ordinances in the temple.  I'm having difficulty getting my business growing.  But he has difficulty reading.  I often feel ashamed for being so shallow that I don't give thanks for the things I take for granted so often.

We might study the letter of the law.  We might even ponder the great meaning of deep doctrines.  But here was this gentle brother -- simply participating in pure religion undefiled before God and feeling the great Spirit that came with it.

Did you know that several Latter day Saint near death experiencers were shown specifics on exactly how certain people benefited in their afterlife state after Latter day Saints went through Baptism for the Dead.... on their behalf!  If you do a search for Latter day Saints on near-death  .com you can find these accounts.  

Dr. Harold Widdison and Dr. Craig Lundahl’s Near-Death Experience Research

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Hi, again, Dennis.

Hi again Carborendum......  I visited the Latter day Saint Temple in Brampton, Ontario on Saturday, (and as always I was truly impressed).  Latter day Saints were still there at the Temple after three pm because they were about to get baptized for a deceased person or two or three, or perhaps even more.

I have been studying near death experience accounts since 1990 and I feel that they are playing a role in the fulfillment of this promise and prophecy.  

"The anger of the Lord shall not return, until he have executed, and till he have performed the thoughts of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it perfectly." (Jeremiah 23:20)

I could be wrong... I often am.... but I have the impression that near death experiencer Rabbi Alon Anava is an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi that Latter day Saints attending Brigham Young University in Jerusalem might want to be in contact with.  His actual near death experience reminds me of Matthew chapter four on many levels.... and his simple teaching since his brush with death remind me of Matthew chapters five, six and seven.  I believe that communication between Latter day Saints with Rabbi Alon Anava and with his students can play a role in the fulfillment of Ezekiel chapter thirty seven.....

16 Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim and for all the house of Israel his companions:

17 And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand.

18 And when the children of thy people shall speak unto thee, saying, Wilt thou not shew us what thou meanest by these?

19 Say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel his fellows, and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand.

20 And the sticks whereon thou writest shall be in thine hand before their eyes.

21 And say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will take the children of Israel from among the heathen, whither they be gone, and will gather them on every side, and bring them into their own land:

22 And I will make them one nation in the land upon the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king to them all: and they shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all.

23 Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwellingplaces, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God.

24 And David my servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them.