Consumption Sequence Theory

zil

So, there are some foods you can buy (usually the kind you probably ought not to buy) which come with multiple colors or multiple shapes (perhaps both) in the same package.  For example:

hqdefault.jpg

and

mms-bulk-25-pounds-1.jpg

The question is, what is the proper sequence for consuming such things?  Do you eat all the same color/shape until they're gone, then move on to the next color/shape?  Do you accept them coming randomly?  Do you eat one of each and then start over?  Does it make a difference if (like those butter cookies, or Skittles), they don't all taste the same?  I'm thinking there's an Institute (not the Mormon kind) somewhere that's probably studied this, and might benefit from additional data points.

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

Proper sequence.

Step 1: Place in mouth.

Step 2: Chew until a peanut butter to pudding consitency.

Step 3: Swallow.

Right, so random / no plan or organization.  Noted.  I'll forward that on to the Institute (as soon as they identify themselves).

1 minute ago, zil said:

Right, so random / no plan or organization.  Noted.  I'll forward that on to the Institute (as soon as they identify themselves).

I don't see any 'repeat' in my sequence above.  I'm simply saying "Pour the whole shebang into your mouth and start chomping.  Yeah, baby!!!

20 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I don't see any 'repeat' in my sequence above.  I'm simply saying "Pour the whole shebang into your mouth and start chomping.  Yeah, baby!!!

Right, dump that whole can of Danish butter cookies in your mouth at once.  OK, Cookie Monster.

21 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

So, we're calling your technique "concurrent" rather than "sequential".  Notes updated.

Step 1:  Take the tin and hide.

Step 2:  Eat the prettiest first, the ugliest last.

Step 3:  If you fail in Step 1 - just grab whatever everybody else is not grabbing.  Slapping their hands away on the way to the cookie would produce better results.

Most foods like this I eat by a random grab, but with M&M’s, I like to put 6 in the palm of my hand and in rainbow order: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, brown. Then I start at one end, doesn’t matter which, and eat one by one. I’ll keep doing this until the rainbow gets smaller. Idk just more fun, I guess. 

For M&Ms and skittles, I eat least favorite flavor/color first. I like to save the best for last! If it’s a large bag of candy I take a handful , separate them, eat those, and then take another handful. For a small bag, I separate the bag of candy into respective favorite colors and then eat them. If for some reason I don’t separate my candy, I feel strange eating them randomly. I must be a little OCD.🤔

3 minutes ago, LadyGator said:

If I’m out I will eat my m&ms however they come out of the bag, if I am home or just not on the road I will sort them by color and eat them from the fewest to the most if there is a tie it is alphabetical order 😊 I know it’s weird and I’m okay with that. 

Heh  I have done that...  I have also grouped them such that one (and only one) of each color is in each group... Until I run out of one color... then I make another set of groups with one of each of the remaining until I run out of a color... then I make another set and I repeat until I only have a small group of the same color that can't match with anyone else.  Then I eat that group and work my way up to larger groups...

Man I wasted a lot of time sorting back in the day

If they are M&M's I just eat them as they come out of the bag/box.  I don't have a particular order, they all taste the same.

If the candy has different flavors I typically will see what comes out and try to bunch the same flavor with the same flavor and eat those together.  Otherwise, no particular order when I eat sweets.

On 5/26/2018 at 10:03 AM, Bini said:

Most foods like this I eat by a random grab, but with M&M’s, I like to put 6 in the palm of my hand and in rainbow order: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, brown. Then I start at one end, doesn’t matter which, and eat one by one. I’ll keep doing this until the rainbow gets smaller. Idk just more fun, I guess. 

BINI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW ARE YA???

I start with an empty pill box. I put one m&m in the Saturday slot. The remaining slots take on the value of the day of the week (Sun=1, Friday=6). I roll a die, and if the slot is empty for that value then I put an m&m in there. If there is already an m&m in there then I eat that m&m. When all 7 slots are filled I get to eat all 7 and finally put the m&m's away.

On 5/25/2018 at 8:41 AM, anatess2 said:

Step 2:  Eat the prettiest first, the ugliest last.

I'm shocked.  Everyone knows you eat the ones you like less first, and save the ones you like most for the end.  It's called "laying up stores against the season thereof".  It's part of our biblical and pioneer heritage. 

Although I suppose if one is at risk of having their goodies pilfered by neer-do-wells, one might do as anatess directs.

Edited by NeuroTypical