Podcasts

Grunt

Anyone listen to podcasts?   I would love to find a real podcast that is entertaining but reflective of Mormon values.  Every  time I think I find one I hear an episode that makes me raise an eyebrow.   I’d prefer it to be about Mormon doctrine and/or culture.  

If not, let’s start one. 

Edited by Grunt

Right, @pam can convince the MGF folk to have a MormonHub podcast.  Different forum members can guest star each week.  We can talk about the ink, er scripture, of the week; our favorite paper, er post; why people post things out of left field... :D  Why the Mormon version of left field is so tame... :lol:  Oh, which flavor of Jell-o is best.

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Maybe a little of the doctrine or culture I asked for in the original post?

She's just angry because her application to join has been denied. Sorry @SilentOne. Due to heavy interest all applications were due by May 1st. You missed the deadline yet again. 

11 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

Have you checked out the Mormon Channel podcasts? https://www.mormonchannel.org/listen/series

Yes.  I listen to those.  I'm looking for something that is more modern and open dialog.  I like "The Cultural Hall", but every once in awhile they go off on a tangent about what the church should be doing.  I'll likely find that everywhere, I suppose.

LDS Perspectives, Leading LDS, and Maxwell Institute are all usually pretty solid.  (MI often brings in non-LDS commentators, but it’s interesting to see how our own perspectives blend in with—or stand out from—other approaches).  My memory could be off, but I think our own @pam was a guest on Leading LDS sometime in the last year or two?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

2 hours ago, SilentOne said:

So, @zil can do the tattoo episode.  @MormonGator can tell about compound living. @mirkwood takes the Halloween special. What other topics should we cover?

Cosplay.

My CV:

d4b55d6d-536f-732a-7092-af108eabe848?t=1

(Yeah I know I keep posting that, but I spent a lot of time and resources on that suit and dagnabbit I'm gonna get all the mileage I can out of it...)

2 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

LDS Perspectives, Leading LDS, and Maxwell Institute are all usually pretty solid.  (MI often brings in non-LDS commentators, but it’s interesting to see how our own perspectives blend in with—or stand out from—other approaches).  My memory could be off, but I think our own @pam was a guest on Leading LDS sometime in the last year or two?

I met with the founder of it and we were going to set a date but so far it hasn't happened.  I think he has been pretty busy with other podcasts that he's been doing.

And I guess on the lifestyle front, @anatess2 can talk about love and  @Carborendum and @Vort can discuss homeschooling?

I haven't listened to many podcasts in the past, but I have been thinking of starting to listen to gospel-related stuff while exercising, and this thread may prove helpful for that.

Edited by SilentOne

On 5/25/2018 at 4:41 PM, MormonGator said:

She's just angry because her application to join has been denied. Sorry @SilentOne. Due to heavy interest all applications were due by May 1st. You missed the deadline yet again. 

@zil and I have been fielding the applications. Interest isn’t as heavy as you think it is...

On 5/25/2018 at 6:49 PM, unixknight said:

Cosplay.

My CV:

d4b55d6d-536f-732a-7092-af108eabe848?t=1

(Yeah I know I keep posting that, but I spent a lot of time and resources on that suit and dagnabbit I'm gonna get all the mileage I can out of it...)

Duuuuude!  You can post this anytime anythread!  I don't get tired of looking at it!  It's absolutely magnificent.

17 hours ago, SilentOne said:

And I guess on the lifestyle front, @anatess2 can talk about love and  @Carborendum and @Vort can discuss homeschooling?

I haven't listened to many podcasts in the past, but I have been thinking of starting to listen to gospel-related stuff while exercising, and this thread may prove helpful for that.

Oh... I can talk all day every day about love and marriage and horse's carriage.

Rare Possessions Podcast

I'm not sure how well this fits into what you're looking for, but one of my facebook friends posted it and I figure at least somebody here might appreciate it. And if I post here I'll probably be able to find the link again more quickly than if I have to hunt it down again on facebook a month from now.

"The Rare Possessions Podcast will dig into the archives at Book of Mormon Central to find rare, and valuable works that focus on the Book of Mormon. Each each a new episode will feature a brief interview with archivist, Jared Riddick, about the next chapter of the book being presented, followed by host and narrator, Nick Galieti, reading a chapter of the book in audio book format. Stay tuned each week for the next chapter, and to learn more about these lesser-well known books that teach about the Book of Mormon."

• 3 weeks later...

https://player.fm/series/the-joseph-smith-papers

I listen to these when I work out. They have been pretty interesting to me and are church friendly. I also really have enjoyed listening to articles from mormon interpreter. Pretty well all of their articles can be downloaded as mp3's for ease of listening. This makes them great for me to listen to while cleaning the house.

On 5/25/2018 at 1:56 PM, zil said:

Right, @pam can convince the MGF folk to have a MormonHub podcast.  Different forum members can guest star each week.  We can talk about the ink, er scripture, of the week; our favorite paper, er post; why people post things out of left field... :D  Why the Mormon version of left field is so tame... :lol:  Oh, which flavor of Jell-o is best.

Yeah! Will be great! 

Ink, ink, pens, paper, ink...