On Love, on Charity, and on Salvation.

2ndRateMind

18 minutes ago, Overwatch said:

I'll let my wife know. She got her degree from BYU so I figured she told me the truth.

Be wary of those BYU alumnae. They're just looking for ways to lead you down the garden path.

Follow up: The Mrs. Wants your source.

FWIW, the word "tithe" means "tenth". In most other non-English languages, the term for "tenth" and "tithe" are the same word. So by definition, a tithe is a tenth.

It is the case that, early in the Restoration, people used the term "tithe" to mean any freewill offering given to the Church. Many non-Latter-day Saints still use the term this way. But in the Church, we do not. "Tithe" means "a tenth". Review Section 119 -- it's short -- to see how the Lord revealed the beginnings of tithing in the Church. That revelation was received in 1838, so pretty early on in the Restoration. Note especially verse 4, which confirms that tithing is an eternal law, not merely a lesser form of consecration.

Anything less than a tenth that you pay is not a tithe, and anything above a tenth is not part of the tithe. I believe this usage has been pretty consistent in the Church since 1838. Again, FWIW.

I'll just add that the idea of paying a tenth was not new to the modern Church.  It had to be restored before the people understood correctly what the Lord had in mind, but we see Abraham paying tithes (pretty sure it wasn't his own idea, and that he learned it from "the fathers" - aka handed down from Adam), we have Malachi speaking of tithes, and a few other places.  We know these people didn't make it up on their own - it was revealed by the Lord.  I find it improbable that it only existed some of the times that the Church was on the earth - I suppose maybe it was only in force at the times mentioned, but I kinda doubt it.

Bible Dictionary entry for tithe.

Ah, I see you guys are still going at it.

ok. Well she is going out the door but she mentioned this. Israel paid 22% to the Levites who then paid 10% to the Lord

Father Abraham paid a tenth of his spoils of war but not of his personal possessions.

and in the new Testament there is never an amount give under the higher law but giving of your own free will

-  You guys are making my brain hurt.  She'll be back soon to continue teaching me. -

22 minutes ago, Vort said:

FWIW, the word "tithe" means "tenth". In most other non-English languages, the term for "tenth" and "tithe" are the same word. So by definition, a tithe is a tenth.

It is the case that, early in the Restoration, people used the term "tithe" to mean any freewill offering given to the Church. Many non-Latter-day Saints still use the term this way. But in the Church, we do not. "Tithe" means "a tenth". Review Section 119 -- it's short -- to see how the Lord revealed the beginnings of tithing in the Church. That revelation was received in 1838, so pretty early on in the Restoration. Note especially verse 4, which confirms that tithing is an eternal law, not merely a lesser form of consecration.

Anything less than a tenth that you pay is not a tithe, and anything above a tenth is not part of the tithe. I believe this usage has been pretty consistent in the Church since 1838. Again, FWIW.

This is just from me, it says it all in the intro to D&C 119  to be honest at this point it seems like you are scraping.  :C

1 minute ago, Overwatch said:

This is just from me, it says it all in the intro to D&C 119  to be honest at this point it seems like you are scraping.  :C

Hm? I don't understand. In what sense does it seem like I'm "scraping"?

14 minutes ago, zil said:

I see you are nit picking at this time. It is there in plain text. Feel free to take it as you wish

Is it really that hard to understand that he's not understanding the idiom / slang you are using?

I understand "scraping" to mean something like "scraping the bottom of the barrel". I just don't understand it in context. It looks like an insulting personal attack, which is out of place in this discussion. So I'm just trying to understand what's being asked.

Just now, Vort said:

I understand "scraping" to mean something like "scraping the bottom of the barrel". I just don't understand it in context. It looks like an insulting personal attack, which is out of place in this discussion. So I'm just trying to understand what's being asked.

Vort by all means I am not here to steal your Thunder. My wife gave me all the info for that discussion and it was pretty clear to me what happened. Maybe I'll read it again after I get The Holy Spirit. I really don't know what else to say. I hope you don't think I am hating on you guys? I am legit here to pass the rest of my vacation and chat. I think we are all learning some really cool stuff. From GMOs to evidence of the Flood. I'll be gone before you know it.. perhaps.

50 minutes ago, Overwatch said:

Vort by all means I am not here to steal your Thunder. My wife gave me all the info for that discussion and it was pretty clear to me what happened. Maybe I'll read it again after I get The Holy Spirit. I really don't know what else to say. I hope you don't think I am hating on you guys? I am legit here to pass the rest of my vacation and chat. I think we are all learning some really cool stuff. From GMOs to evidence of the Flood. I'll be gone before you know it.. perhaps.

You may think it's clear what happened, but clearly he is confused as to what you were talking about. (I don't even really understand the context of the comment you made. The "scraping" one.) Just a simple clarification I think is all that is needed due to some miscommunication. Easily happens with talking via this format. 

3 minutes ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

You may think it's clear what happened, but clearly he is confused as to what you were talking about. (I don't even really understand the context of the comment you made. The "scraping" one.) Just a simple clarification I think is all that is needed due to some miscommunication. Easily happens with talking via this format. 

Madame pulled out the D & C Teacher's Manual and is prepping. She says it is explained there but she is also now studying Hebrew translations. You guys are ALL insane. Big brains getting swung around in here. You guys are going to poke someone in the eye.

Just now, Overwatch said:

Madame pulled out the D & C Teacher's Manual and is prepping. She says it is explained there but she is also now studying Hebrew translations. You guys are ALL insane. Big brains getting swung around in here. You guys are going to poke someone in the eye.

Where else are we supposed to utilize these big brains of ours?