Marriage 101 FOR DUDES. From a totally unqualified man

Overwatch

I am no man, but... I agree... I got married when I was 18! (I know, I don't know what I was thinking). Got a divorced 7 1/2 yrs later. and 3 years after that I met my current husband and we are going to get sealed (my first sealing was cancelled) this June 30th!! I am sooo excited!

I love my kids, and thank goodness I have a good relationship with my ex (healing and forgiveness :) ) So...  my advice... yes, please, enjoy life as a single person, and get married when you're like over 25, or after you have truly enjoyed being alone, studying, visiting places, making friends. I really enjoyed the time I was divorced, I was single, did what I wanted (always held a temple recommend though), but had no one to ask for permission or explain myself to.

My husband and I always tell our kids, go to school, go on a mission, meet people, date, and theeeeen get married. Don't rush life.

3 hours ago, Chilean said:

I am no man, but... I agree... I got married when I was 18! (I know, I don't know what I was thinking). Got a divorced 7 1/2 yrs later. and 3 years after that I met my current husband and we are going to get sealed (my first sealing was cancelled) this June 30th!! I am sooo excited!

I love my kids, and thank goodness I have a good relationship with my ex (healing and forgiveness :) ) So...  my advice... yes, please, enjoy life as a single person, and get married when you're like over 25, or after you have truly enjoyed being alone, studying, visiting places, making friends. I really enjoyed the time I was divorced, I was single, did what I wanted (always held a temple recommend though), but had no one to ask for permission or explain myself to.

My husband and I always tell our kids, go to school, go on a mission, meet people, date, and theeeeen get married. Don't rush life.

I am sad to hear about your divorce but glad that you were able to make a good relationship after the divorce. It is very important for the children (as I am sure you believe also) I know some people get married young and enjoy success, however I am also aware that some couples don't make it due to not having had the chance to really grow and be ready for marriage. 

Grats on your new marriage!!! I hope the sealing is beautiful and you start July happy as a fresh new family  :) 

I am still thinking about adding a post marriage post but it is so individualistic. I suppose I can just do a basics on planning for the future and building a stable present. Like bare bones basics. Queen and I started out very simple and ended up with quite a bit of excess at one point. In the future I can feel a lot more coming due to me committing fully to the Church but I don't want to have it consume us.

I can honestly say that while we were living more simple I was actually more happy. I can't speak for Queen but it was neat doing things by hand and making meals with more raw ingredients. Having more "stuff" has been nice BUT there is something missing from the quiet during my days off. I would wake up in the morning and lay in bed and hear the birds singing, even without open windows. Now I hear humming almost 24/7, machines churning and doing their thing.

Lots to think about

Edited by Overwatch

• pam unfeatured this topic