Is Love a feeling?

Lost Boy

Do you feel love?  Or do you just love?  Is it an action?  You can feel God's love, but do you feel love for God...  Or do you just love God?

To me, it isn't a feeling.  However, when I love someone, I have many different feelings, happiness, hope, excitement, etc.

What are your thoughts?

6 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I think you'd enjoy reading The Four Loves by CS Lewis

I might just do that.  May be awhile..  In the process of moving to a new home and doing the prep work for that has me crazy busy.

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, ABCDario said:

Is that one available on Audible by chance?

Yup! 

3 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

I might just do that.  May be awhile..  In the process of moving to a new home and doing the prep work for that has me crazy busy.

Good luck with that. I moved a few years ago and I know how stressful it can be. 

13 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Yup! 

Good luck with that. I moved a few years ago and I know how stressful it can be. 

I was going to rent my house out, but the market is smoking hot right now in my area and I can ask top dollar for the house.  So that is what I am going to do.   Sell.  Been there for 21 years and I have the stuff to show for it.  I will be spending the next 4 weeks packing and tossing stuff out.

Along with painting and fixing things around the house that need fixing.  

Make a plan and work the plan....  right...

19 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

Do you feel love?  Or do you just love?  Is it an action?  You can feel God's love, but do you feel love for God...  Or do you just love God?

To me, it isn't a feeling.  However, when I love someone, I have many different feelings, happiness, hope, excitement, etc.

What are your thoughts?

Love is an exercise of Will.

And that's why it was extremely important and necessary that God grant us its free exercise for without it, Love is not possible.

Edited by anatess2

On 6/4/2018 at 2:09 PM, Lost Boy said:

What are your thoughts?

Whether intended or not, as you just described it, love is a feeling--it is a feeling that is the composite of happiness, hope, excitement, etc.

To me, it is more than just a composite feeling. There are things generating those feelings, as well as interpret them--e. g.  the faculty to perceive and be attracted to that which is meaningful, etc.. Love, in some ways, is the composite recognition of, affinity towards, and elevation of meaningfulness and value and faith and will, etc.. . In other words, love involves more than just the heart, it also requires the mind.

And, as @anatess2 noted, love isn't just experienced internally. By its nature it needs to be expressed externally. It is also the exercise of will, which not only requires agency, but it also requires our bodies.

Hence, the first great commandment, which is to love the Lord they God with all thine heart, all thy mind, and with all thy soul.

Love is all this and so much more. It is, simply, yet at once also unfathomably complicated, the very nature, and expressed nature of God. God is love.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will lovehim, and we will come unto him, and make our abodewith him. (John 14:15,21,23)

Certainly the logic here is that the sign by which the feeling of love is manifest is in abodience and action.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:09 PM, Lost Boy said:

What are your thoughts?

I must admit that I do not like to rely much on “feelings”.  I would completely reject all notion that love is a feeling except that I am, from time to time, overcome with it.  

The Traveler

On 6/4/2018 at 2:09 PM, Lost Boy said:

What are your thoughts?

The first and foremost aspect of love is that love is a choice, a product of our moral agency as granted/gifted by God. You may enjoy this talk from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, "How Do I love Thee?" Yet, I am more referring to the principle and attribute of charity, not love.

The scriptures tell us, "And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work," why would charity and love be mentioned in the same scripture if they meant the same thing? I believe the spirit revealed to me the difference between love and charity, but that is a different topic, and my response would reference charity not love.

This is from Elder Holland's speech, "Mormon explicitly taught, that this love, this ability, capacity, and reciprocation we all so want, is a gift. It is “bestowed”—that is Mormon’s word. It doesn’t come without effort and it doesn’t come without patience, but, like salvation itself, in the end it is a gift, given by God to the “true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ.”

Charity is an action. When we act in charity we receive the fruits of the Spirit: love, peace, joy, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, and faith. These are feelings received when we act in charity, and when we act in charity we will also experience other emotions: sorrow, broken hearts, mourning, and other such feelings.

When I act in charity, the fruits of the Spirit are increased and I feel greater love for God, greater sorrow for my iniquities, and a stronger desire to be better than I am today. I love God, and I feel love for God (fruits of the Spirit).

5 hours ago, SilentOne said:

What came to mind when I saw this thread title tonight is that it's more.

Grrrr.  It required mighty restraint on my part not to do that as soon as I read the OP, and now you go and do it!  Clearly there's no point to exercising self-control. :mellow:

2 hours ago, zil said:

Grrrr.  It required mighty restraint on my part not to do that as soon as I read the OP, and now you go and do it!  Clearly there's no point to exercising self-control. :mellow:

Well, posting that first thing would have been wrong. Posting it 2 weeks later had to be done.