Narrasassist

Bazza

I'm from Australia, I've been to Utah, LA, Fiji, I'm not hating on the church but is there like a growing influence of narrasassism in the church? Well I'm of Polynesian Heritage and Scottish, I've seen so much of it and I believe this is one way satan is attacking families.

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

I'm from Australia, I've been to Utah, LA, Fiji, I'm not hating on the church but is there like a growing influence of narrasassism in the church? Well I'm of Polynesian Heritage and Scottish, I've seen so much of it and I believe this is one way satan is attacking families.

Can you provide examples?

Normally when people notice things like this, it comes from their own perception.

See someone fixing their eyebrows in a car mirror, boom, whole church is obsessed with the way they look.

See some member complaining about a guy with tattoos, boom, all Mormon’s are hipocrites. 

Not the case

3 minutes ago, Fether said:

Can you provide examples?

Normally when people notice things like this, it comes from their own perception.

See someone fixing their eyebrows in a car mirror, boom, whole church is obsessed with the way they look.

See some member complaining about a guy with tattoos, boom, all Mormon’s are hipocrites. 

Not the case

Over the 19years of membership, Ive had heaps of experience and catching up with them and had led me to think well with my experience that there is a growing influence of narcissism in the areas I haven been too, Im asking if anyone has experienced or seen it? If you haven't thats ok, I'm asking if anyone has seen, experience it?

26 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Over the 19years of membership, Ive had heaps of experience and catching up with them and had led me to think well with my experience that there is a growing influence of narcissism in the areas I haven been too, Im asking if anyone has experienced or seen it? If you haven't thats ok, I'm asking if anyone has seen, experience it?

Not really, only thing I have noticed along those lines is that Mormon’s tend to be more attractive than non-members. Not due to a narcissistic view, but because of righteousness.

8 hours ago, Bazza said:

I don't see Mormons as any more narcissistic than anyone else. In fact I see a lot of people who want to help others. 

Are there narcissistic people in the church?  Certainly and you will see more, if that is what you are looking for. 

9 hours ago, Bazza said:

Heyyyy. This comment made me think of this song. We have been listening to this while driving together as a family (The soundtrack)

Edited by Overwatch

Welcome, @Bazza!

7 hours ago, Fether said:

Mormon’s tend to be more attractive than non-members

The world disagrees with you. :)  Someone did a survey a couple years ago and found Utah the worst-dressed state in the nation (as I recall).  Apparently we were all frumpy. ;)

Meanwhile:

nar·cis·sism
ˈnärsəˌsizəm/
noun
noun: narcissism
  1. excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one's physical appearance.
    synonyms: vanity, self-love, self-admiration, self-absorption, self-obsession, conceit, self-centeredness, self-regard, egotism, egoism
    "his emotional development was hindered by his mother's narcissism"
    antonyms: modesty
    • Psychology
      extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.
    • Psychoanalysis
      self-centeredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.

No, not seeing it.  I will say that in my experience, such observations tend to be accurate (if they're accurate at all) only in a small region.  For example, there might be a YSA ward where everyone arrives with selfie sticks loaded and streaming, or maybe there's a snooty ward where the less fashionable are shunned.  But if those things exist, they're probably not as bad as that sentence :) and they're isolated problems.

PS: Why does google's dictionary need to be so redundant?  It's a noun.  No really, it is a noun, oh, and it's still narcissism, while being a noun. :rolleyes:

Guest MormonGator

I don't see it. I think the term "Narcissist" is an extremely powerful word that we drastically overuse in our culture today. Are some members jerks, selfish, egotistical or snotty? You bet. But that hardly makes them narcissistic. In fact, most LDS are humble and way too hard on themselves. 

I am a raging narcissist, so I can spot it in others. 

Edited by MormonGator

Narcissism: Excessive interest in one's self, extreme selfishness.  In psychoanalysis, it's self-centeredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects.

I've seen people who exhibit such things, on occasion, in and out of the church, through my whole life.  I do not see it increasing in the church at all.

Pride: Pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, usually while dismissing or ignoring other's (especially God's) contributions to them.

Yeah, I see this all over the place, in and out of the church.  I need to watch for it in myself.  But again, I don't see it in any growing or increasing amount - it's always been there. 

Bazza, perhaps you are just becoming aware for the first time, of things that have always been there?

10 hours ago, Bazza said:

Can anyone see a growing influence of narcissism in the church?

I see it in the entire world.  Membership in the Church is not immune.  But I'd like to know which definition of narcissism you're talking about.

Are you talking about being highly concerned about dress and grooming?  Or are you talking about being full of themselves (prideful)?

I've noticed that out of maybe 50 to 60 adult women in the ward, only about 3 don't dye their hair.  That's really interesting.

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, Bazza said:

Interestingly, a friend of mine who is Polynesian and currently moved out of her ward in Michigan experienced racism in her Stake.  It became obvious during Stake Tournament Basketball when her husband - also polynesian - was told to leave because they don't play with "his kind".  Yes, these are LDS people.  Yes, this is racism, not narcissism.  I'm showing you that the Church is an organization of imperfect people, not celestial beings.  But no, just because this Stake exhibited racism doesn't mean racism, or narcissism, is a growing influence in the Church. 

On another note, when I bought my car, I've never seen anyone drive that model car.  The day I took the car home, it's like tons of people suddenly started driving that model car.  Also, when I started raising discus fish, I thought I was the only one with discus fish.  The day I took the discus fish home, it's like tons of people suddenly have discus fish too.  This is actually a very natural occurrence.

28 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I see it in the entire world.  Membership in the Church is not immune.  But I'd like to know which definition of narcissism you're talking about.

Are you talking about being highly concerned about dress and grooming?  Or are you talking about being full of themselves (prideful)?

I've noticed that out of maybe 50 to 60 adult women in the ward, only about 3 don't dye their hair.  That's really interesting.

Not only do I dye my hair, I wear colored contacts too.  ;)

18 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

On another note, when I bought my car, I've never seen anyone drive that model car.  The day I took the car home, it's like tons of people suddenly started driving that model car.  Also, when I started raising discus fish, I thought I was the only one with discus fish.  The day I took the discus fish home, it's like tons of people suddenly have discus fish too.  This is actually a very natural occurrence.

This is known as observation bias.