The second coming, can't find a reference I read

Hi, Sorry I know this topic has probably been beaten to death. I Find it interesting to read about the second coming and I remember reading a book that title I have forgotten. So, if anyone by some slim chance remembers it please send me the name

In the book it talked about a leader in the church who was discussing the seven seals and the approximate time of the second coming to a friend. He suggested that the crucifixion of Christ was the opening of the 5th seel, and 1000 years after that the sixth seel was opened around 1033 and the reformations began (the eastern and western orthodox church was separating in around that time and I think martin Luther appeared around 300 years later). The leader then began to suggest that the next seel would be opened around 2033 or so.

Now I Know “no man knoweth the time” and even in the book it made it clear that this was just speculation. I take these kinds of things with caution and when I discuss this topic among friends I make sure that they know that this is not official doctrine and just theories. I just want to know if anyone has read anything similar, so I can at least reference it somewhere. I may even be butchering what was written. So, if you recognise the information please help me out.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Highlander said:

Thanks @zil, Hopefully someone will know but thanks anyway. Thanks for the welcome i'm planning on useing this for extra study and pondering.

Yes, I believe it was Elder Harold Camping who used gematriot in the Latin translation of Revelation coupled with the Hebrew translation of Isaiah to find that Atlantis would rise up out of the sea on the opening of the sixth seal.  The four horsemen would then be expelled from the Bermuda Triangle carrying a giant obelisk that's full of stars.  The stars are the sources of all the UFOs that we've been seeing lately.

Then Bigfoot will emerge from the hollow earth and provide a translation of all the crop circles that have shown up since 1033.

And Elvis will be revealed to be the angel of music and will show who is the real KING.

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, Highlander said:

Hi, Sorry I know this topic has probably been beaten to death. I Find it interesting to read about the second coming and I remember reading a book that title I have forgotten. So, if anyone by some slim chance remembers it please send me the name

In the book it talked about a leader in the church who was discussing the seven seals and the approximate time of the second coming to a friend. He suggested that the crucifixion of Christ was the opening of the 5th seel, and 1000 years after that the sixth seel was opened around 1033 and the reformations began (the eastern and western orthodox church was separating in around that time and I think martin Luther appeared around 300 years later). The leader then began to suggest that the next seel would be opened around 2033 or so.

Now I Know “no man knoweth the time” and even in the book it made it clear that this was just speculation. I take these kinds of things with caution and when I discuss this topic among friends I make sure that they know that this is not official doctrine and just theories. I just want to know if anyone has read anything similar, so I can at least reference it somewhere. I may even be butchering what was written. So, if you recognise the information please help me out.

Thanks

McConkie made a similar argument in his Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, as quoted in the now-superseded New Testament Institute manual entitled “The Life and Teachings of Jesus & His Apostles”.  I don’t think he tried to project that out into a suggested year for the 2nd Coming, though.  The Church website link to the manual is now dead, but try http://emp.byui.edu/DormanS/Rel 212/New Testament Student Manual.pdf and scroll to around page 458-ish.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

On 6/5/2018 at 2:20 PM, Highlander said:

Thanks @zil, Hopefully someone will know but thanks anyway. Thanks for the welcome i'm planning on useing this for extra study and pondering.

Have you considered books like 'As a thief in the night' by Robert Young?

If you're going to be reading books that engage in Eschatology, they may as well be documents that do less of the Homer Simpson-esque date gerrymandering and more actual examinations of scripture and prophetic words.

4 hours ago, FunkyTown said:

Have you considered books like 'As a thief in the night' by Robert Young?

Or you could watch the movie version - To Catch a Thief, with Cary Grant.

Oh, wait.  You said eschatology, not capturology, er catburgology.  Nevermind.  Nothing to see here.  "Terminology cleanup on aisle four!"

1 minute ago, zil said:

Or you could watch the movie version - To Catch a Thief, with Cary Grant.

Oh, wait.  You said eschatology, not capturology, er catburgology.  Nevermind.  Nothing to see here.  "Terminology cleanup on aisle four!"

Terminology? It -was- Catburgology. I just sneezed at the same time and it came out "ESCHATology".

I think someone is not counting correctly. Let me see now, perhaps the first coming was when the Brother of Jared saw the finger of the Lord. But perhaps we shouldn't count that because it was only the spirit of Jesus. Then He appeared in Bethlehem and parts nearby. Then He appeared several times after His resurrection. Then He appeared to the Nephites, on several occasions. Then He appeared to Joseph Smith. We're well past the second coming. there's been at least half a dozen comings. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a book called “Scriptural and Secular Prophecies Pertaining to the Last Days” or shorter version of title is “The Last Days” compiled by Robert W. Smith and Elisabeth A. Smith. It was first published in 1931. My copy is a 10th addition.  The publishers are Pyramid Press.

The authors cite writings by D. A. Latimer “Opening of the Seven Seals.” “He calls attention to the events of the world as given by John in Revelations, explaining the opening of the Seven Seals as opening various stages of the World’s history; interpreting the Half Hour of silence in heaven referred to by John as indicating years, working on the assumption that a year with the Lord is 1,000 years”... he also mentions the date scales of the Great Pyramid.

“Here follows a short excerpt from his interpretations: At the end of the Sixth Seal the sun is to be blackened, the 144,000 are to be sealed, there will be a great earthquake, stars will fall from heaven, heaven depart as a scroll and every mountain and island be removed out of their places. Four angels shall come with power over the earth to save life and to destroy, they will have the everlasting Gospel to preach to every nation, then another will seal the 144,000 before the earth and the sea shall be hurt, Elias will come to gather the tribes of Israel; kindreds, people and tongues will stand before the throne of the Lamb. (This is to be at the close of the 6th thousand years or soon in our time.)

Then next comes the terrible disasters of the half-hour or twenty-years: 1/3 of the trees are to be burnt up;  1/3 of the ships of the seas, destroyed; 1/3 of the waters to be turned into wormwood; 1/3 part of the sun and moon to be smitten; locusts to torment men. Battle of Armageddon to be fought; 1/3 part of men to be killed. Then after Lightning’s, thunders, earthquakes and great hail, Christ will come in power at the head of the armies of Heaven.”

I noticed the publishers have another book called “Opening of the Seven Seals” with a Chart of “Time and Eternity” by David A. Latimer. I’m assuming the compilers in my book took their information from this second book.

Hope this helps.