I need help explaining repentance to my sister

JayKi

Hi, I have older sister but because i head of my family I always when I go to visit I speak with them about the church. I have older sister I speak to her about she should go back to church and she told me she would like to be active member again but she do not want to repent break the law of chastity. Because she say it will for her be like regret having her son and she doesn't so she said it will be not genuine repentance because she doesn't have regret for it. i try explain to her she don't need to regret having her son to repent but i didn't do a good job. Can you tell me how you explain this please? 

Just now, MormonGator said:

She can repent of the sin of fornication while still celebrating the blessing that is her son. The two are different.  

oh yeah i explain that to her but i couldnt explain to her how or why is the case.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, JayKi said:

oh yeah i explain that to her but i couldnt explain to her how or why is the case.

Because a child is not blamed for the sins of their parents. Therefore, the child is innocent and a blessing while the parents are the ones that need to repent. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

Because a child is not blamed for the sins of their parents. Therefore, the child is innocent and a blessing while the parents are the ones that need to repent. 

I think she know that she doesnt need to blame her son. She doesnt want to repent for something she doesnt regret breaking chastity law because she wouldnt have her son otherwise. 

Guest MormonGator
Just now, JayKi said:

I think she know that she doesnt need to blame her son. She doesnt want to repent for something she doesnt regret breaking chastity law because she wouldnt have her son otherwise. 

Well I tried. Good luck! 

35 minutes ago, JayKi said:

I had that same conversation with the missionaries during my interview.  I told them I regretted the sin of fornication.  I told them I regretted my offense to God.  I told them I regretted my lifestyle. I told them that hindsight being 20/20, I can't say I wouldn't do it all over again because those decisions led me to the place I am today with the family I have.   They understood.  I don't remember what they said, but they accepted my answer.  I'm willing to bet they would accept your sister's, too.  She should talk to someone who can explain it.  What's the worst thing that will happen?  She's already not at church.

2 hours ago, Grunt said:

I had that same conversation with the missionaries during my interview.  I told them I regretted the sin of fornication.  I told them I regretted my offense to God.  I told them I regretted my lifestyle. I told them that hindsight being 20/20, I can't say I wouldn't do it all over again because those decisions led me to the place I am today with the family I have.   They understood.  I don't remember what they said, but they accepted my answer.  I'm willing to bet they would accept your sister's, too.  She should talk to someone who can explain it.  What's the worst thing that will happen?  She's already not at church.

Yeah I think is hard to repent when a sin led to long term happiness. I did repent many time obviously but never for a sin that led me to long term happiness I think is a challenge to feel regret when something good came out of sin. 

Your sister needs to repent because she loves her son.  Repentance gives her the freedom from the bondage of sin that she may fully partake of the blessings of her son.

Saying “long term happiness” is not correct.  There is nothing long term about mortality.  It’s like the kid who can eat one marshmallow now but if he waits 2 hours he’ll be able to eat 2 marshmallows instead.  Mortality is eating one marshmallow now and you forsake the rewards of celestial life.  So your sister is risking her reward of being able to live with her son through the eternities for the deceptive “long term” view of having him in mortality.

Fornication is a sin.  If not repented of, that legacy will remain and that is what the child will learn - that fornication is just fine ans he can do it without consequence because that’s the lesson his mother taught him through the unrepentant circumstance of his birth.

Choose ye this day...

14 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Your sister needs to repent because she loves her son.  Repentance gives her the freedom from the bondage of sin that she may fully partake of the blessings of her son.

Saying “long term happiness” is not correct.  There is nothing long term about mortality.  It’s like the kid who can eat one marshmallow now but if he waits 2 hours he’ll be able to eat 2 marshmallows instead.  Mortality is eating one marshmallow now and you forsake the rewards of celestial life.  So your sister is risking her reward of being able to live with her son through the eternities for the deceptive “long term” view of having him in mortality.

Fornication is a sin.  If not repented of, that legacy will remain and that is what the child will learn - that fornication is just fine ans he can do it without consequence because that’s the lesson his mother taught him through the unrepentant circumstance of his birth.

Choose ye this day...

So I tell her that if she repent then her son will be even more of blessing?

I advise her to speak to the bishop and to seek his guidance. She may have broken the law of chastity and had a son, but she can still repent fully. Repentance is going back to the path the Lord has set for us, and by going back, there are huge adjustments to make. The Lord will take care of her as long as she fully repents. I know He has a plan for her if she really decides to be an active member again. You can tell her her son will no way stop her from repenting. She had a son in effect of her decisions and actions but he is not a liability nor a negative thing in her life. Again, she can best speak with the Bishop about this matter. 

On 6/13/2018 at 1:40 PM, Lee Seo Young said:

I advise her to speak to the bishop and to seek his guidance. She may have broken the law of chastity and had a son, but she can still repent fully. Repentance is going back to the path the Lord has set for us, and by going back, there are huge adjustments to make. The Lord will take care of her as long as she fully repents. I know He has a plan for her if she really decides to be an active member again. You can tell her her son will no way stop her from repenting. She had a son in effect of her decisions and actions but he is not a liability nor a negative thing in her life. Again, she can best speak with the Bishop about this matter. 

But she has a resilience to repent and speak to church leader I think she had bad past experience, but she told me she want to be active again because her son is almost 7 and she want him to be a member when he 9. 

9 hours ago, JayKi said:

But she has a resilience to repent and speak to church leader I think she had bad past experience, but she told me she want to be active again because her son is almost 7 and she want him to be a member when he 9. 

Ask her and explore her feelings. What is driving her back from truly repenting? You mentioned she felt she couldn't repent because she already had a son. How about the other underlying reasons? Ask her too what is holding her back to see a Bishop. 

Some people prefer not to approach the Bishop because they feel embarrassed or shameful, or thought it is not necessary. From the looks of it, she has a desire to repent and go back to church, but something seems to be holding her back from approaching the Bishop. You may help by exploring her feelings and help from there. 

We should also consider that despite of the enlightenment and our admonition you may be providing to your sister, she also has the freedom to decide what she has to do. Maybe it won't be now, maybe in the future she will be better determined and prepared to repent. Sometimes, the Lord has His own timing. Your duty for now is to guide your sister in understanding the process of repentance so she can decide for herself. Dispel all the myths she has about repentance. Talk and demonstrate compassion and understanding. You may also inform a Church leader and ask for guidance on how you can better help her. Pray and find out through the Spirit how to be able to reach out to her. Tell her that the bishop holds the priesthood keys to help her to repent fully.