Star Trek IV is not a great movie after all...

unixknight

On 6/13/2018 at 1:00 PM, anatess2 said:

Oh my goodness, where to start.  If you loved IV-V-VI, you can't possibly love VIII.  We built the entire Star Wars universe over Luke Skywalker - layers added on to his character from the whiny teen-ager of IV to the greatest Jedi in VI.  They held us in great suspense in VII getting the fandom into a frenzy... and he throws away his lightsaber and got beaten by an untrained wanna-be-Jedi like a crazy old man all in one episode.  

And that's just the beginning...

Perhaps it's because we're older and have higher expectations of juvenile-oriented sci-fi to fit our now-adult mental framework...?

On 6/13/2018 at 4:29 AM, unixknight said:

Is it somehow doing this to get hidden whales to respond?

I believe that was what I thought when I saw the movie, but you're right it doesn't make sense - If they had come along to see how the whales were doing and say "hi", vapourizing the ocean they live in is a strange way of going about it.

On 6/13/2018 at 7:59 PM, NeuroTypical said:

I'm in my 2nd year of rewatching all the Star Trek shows on Netflix.  Halfway through Voyager right now.  I forgot how deep into the human psyche they dove in a few episodes.  (or tried to dive but looked silly, in other episodes).

Ah, the '90's.  Back when nobody saw anything out of place in a picture like this:

Related image

lol eye candy?  What's that lol?  We got the first female captain, it ain't about that any more!  Gee, I wonder what they tried to boost their ratings for the fourth season lol!  Probably more phaser fights or something.

I can't remember if I've ever mentioned this before, but I think 7 of 9 is Toyah Battersby from "Coronation Street" assimilated into the Borg continuum. (Or was it Q who had a continuum? Well...whatever the Borg had in place of a continuum. She's Toyah as a Borg is essentially what I'm saying.)

My theory: in 2018 the Borg undertook an exploratory mission to Earth where they visited Weatherfield, Manchester, England, kidnapped the landlady of the "Rover's Return" pub, Borgified her, and then took her to the Gamma quadrant (or whatever) where she did Borgy-type stuff for several hundred years until the USS Voyager came along.

Don't believe me? Well here's Toyah...

latest?cb=20161226222215

And here's 7 of 9...

s-l300.jpg

Case closed!

Edited by Jamie123

2 hours ago, NightSG said:

The main thing Trek has going for it besides two episodes with Julia Nickson is that The Princess Bride clearly happens in the same universe.

Commander Kruge's pet targ:

Warrigul.jpg

ROUS:

rodents-of-unusual-size-300x180.jpg

There's just no way those aren't related.

And you can't forget these guys...

thargonmenace.jpg

and...

warempires.jpg

Then again...maybe you can!

On 6/16/2018 at 2:48 PM, pwrfrk said:

Perhaps it's because we're older and have higher expectations of juvenile-oriented sci-fi to fit our now-adult mental framework...?

That is not it.  At all.  My family watch movies.  That's our thing.  We can watch 5 movies at the theater in one weekend... that's how movie fans we are. 

And Star Wars is not juvenile-oriented sci-fi.  Movies don't have to be R-rated for it to be a movie for adults as well.  The political themes of Episodes I-VI alone is far from juvenile.

Didn't a more purely destructive version of this probe turn up earlier in the TV episode featuring William Windom as a captain? In this later incarnation, I took it as a machine of vengeance and destruction, speaking in its way, albeit perhaps too late, for those animals which were unable to speak for themselves. Humans, and their world, have been tried and found wanting.

As for the rest of the story, it had a decent lighthearted tone, with a look at the 1980s which I find even more enjoyable these days than when the film came out. (If there were a decade I could chose to return to it would be that one.) I liked the love story, but did not really expect much from it. Can't expect love to last with the Captain. As McCoy says to him in a later film, 'What Is it with you?'😊

I would like to thank you unixknight. After reading this thread, went out to Giant Tiger and was lucky enough to find a copy of it. Maybe I'll watch it -again- later.

stIV.JPG

8 hours ago, NightSG said:

The main thing Trek has going for it besides two episodes with Julia Nickson is that The Princess Bride clearly happens in the same universe

I have a great fan theory that connects Star Trek to Event Horizon and then, more obliquely, to Warhammer 40k.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:29 PM, unixknight said:

WAIT WAIT Hear me out...

No need.  I agree.

I'm not saying that the movie could credibly have included a perspective representing the idea that hunting endangered whales is a good thing.  What would have been more interesting is a chance to see a glimpse of the lives of the whalers themselves, and why they do as they do.  Not so that we would necessarily support their work them, but so that we could at least understand them.

Well, you're shifting things here.  And I understand that the format of the movie made it necessary to do so.  But which is the villain?  The alien probe (which you go into later)?  Or the whalers?  For now, let's stick a pin in it.

What I mean by that is that whalers are not evil mustache twirling villains who wake up in the morning to a steaming mug of whale tears and laugh maniacally as they imagine a future in which all whales are dead and they can move on to hunting baby seals.  No doubt the ones who break laws by doing it believe that they're only doing what they have to in order to make a living and feed their families. 

Yes, it's always better to have a villain that is at least somewhat sympathetic --  a Shakespearean villain.  Heck, they did so with Thanos in the recent movie.

The motivation of this villain is never made at all clear.  All we know about it is that it will wipe out all life on Earth because there are no humpback whales on it.

It actually makes the point that humpback whales are superior to humans as a lifeform.  It is what they presented in the movie.

Sure it was a funny movie and is enjoyable for that...

And that is exactly why it was so popular.

But, yes, Wrath of Khan was the BEST.

9 hours ago, Carborendum said:

It actually makes the point that humpback whales are superior to humans as a lifeform.  It is what they presented in the movie.

Yeah that always bugged me.  There's a line where Spock says something like "it is human arrogance to assume the message must be for Man."  And I always want to throw something at the screen.  Here's Spock, the most rational, logical, scientific mind in the film talking like a stoned hippie.  

No, Spock.  It isn't arrogant at all.  It's simple logic.  Here's a space probe that comes to Earth with a message.  Which is the MOST likely intended audience for the message?

Is it the species that is objectively the most intelligent life form?  That has developed space travel and is a known entity in the quadrant?  That is in a Leadership position in an interstellar federation whose established purpose is to seek out new civilizations and make contact?

Or

An extinct species of sea creatures which were kinda smart but never developed a single piece of technology, communicated with any other species but Man, and of which the most intelligent specimen in the entire species would still barely register on an IQ test?

Yeah.  When the smartest, most reasonable character in the franchise has to have his brain throttled down to make the movie's point, we're in trouble.

1 hour ago, unixknight said:

Yeah that always bugged me.  There's a line where Spock says something like "it is human arrogance to assume the message must be for Man."  And I always want to throw something at the screen.  Here's Spock, the most rational, logical, scientific mind in the film talking like a stoned hippie.  

No, Spock.  It isn't arrogant at all.  It's simple logic.  Here's a space probe that comes to Earth with a message.  Which is the MOST likely intended audience for the message?

Is it the species that is objectively the most intelligent life form?  That has developed space travel and is a known entity in the quadrant?  That is in a Leadership position in an interstellar federation whose established purpose is to seek out new civilizations and make contact?

Or

An extinct species of sea creatures which were kinda smart but never developed a single piece of technology, communicated with any other species but Man, and of which the most intelligent specimen in the entire species would still barely register on an IQ test?

Yeah.  When the smartest, most reasonable character in the franchise has to have his brain throttled down to make the movie's point, we're in trouble.

Well, there's only one thing to say to that:  So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Star Trek IV was entertaining, but stupid.

Star Trek II was great.

I liked Star Trek VI as well.

I liked Start Trek (2009) as much if not more than Star Trek II

I didn't care for Rogue One.  The Original trilogy was the best.  More story..  More beloved characters.