Am I missing out something by rejecting dates?

Lee Seo Young

4 minutes ago, Fether said:

It was quoted in general conference

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1987/10/to-the-fathers-in-israel?lang=eng

A saint’s opinion should not contradict the words of the prophets.

By all means, do everything every man tells you to. I obey canon scripture, consider the prophets suggestions and then govern myself as I pray to the Lord for guidance.

https://www.lds.org/topics/birth-control?lang=eng

On 6/13/2018 at 8:30 AM, Lee Seo Young said:

Am I missing out on things?

Marriage, family life, children, difficult life decisions involved, parenthood, personal development opportunities, eternal life, just to name a few off the top of my head.  I was married at your age, best decision I ever made.  Tomorrow is our anniversary (not telling which one :D)!

Now that I have posted something, I will go back and actually read other people's responses.

2 hours ago, Overwatch said:

How many kids do you want? If you want to be a milk wagon, by all means, start pushing out babies at 18 yrs old.

God created our bodies to be physically capable of producing offspring at very young ages.  How old was Mary when Jesus was born?  Pretty sure it was between 14-16, according to tradition, and yet God trusted her to be mentally, physically, and spiritually prepared for the task of raising His Son.  I see no problem with a woman starting to rear children at age 18. 

The math works out well too!  Lets say someone has one child a year starting at age 18, up to 6 children, by age 42 all of the children would be adults and that mother would have 25 years of happy life with her husband and no kids at home before normal retirement.  If she spends 10 of those years working, then not only would there be an increased source of expendable income, but with no more child expenses, they could likely save enough to both retire by age 55.  That's 12 extra years of fun compared to normal retirement age.  Adjusted for fewer children, even more time!  Then you would also have the added advantage in our modern society of living to see your great grandchildren!

11 minutes ago, person0 said:

God created our bodies to be physically capable of producing offspring at very young ages.  How old was Mary when Jesus was born?  Pretty sure it was between 14-16, according to tradition, and yet God trusted her to be mentally, physically, and spiritually prepared for the task of raising His Son.  I see no problem with a woman starting to rear children at age 18. 

The math works out well too!  Lets say someone has one child a year starting at age 18, up to 6 children, by age 42 all of the children would be adults and that mother would have 25 years of happy life with her husband and no kids at home before normal retirement.  If she spends 10 of those years working, then not only would there be an increased source of expendable income, but with no more child expenses, they could likely save enough to both retire by age 55.  That's 12 extra years of fun compared to normal retirement age.  Adjusted for fewer children, even more time!  Then you would also have the added advantage in our modern society of living to see your great grandchildren!

I am pretty sure adolescent pregnancy is illegal now. People were much more mature back then. They started working young and had a lot of responsibilities. A lot was required. Now a lot of children eat fruit rollups and play video games up until they graduate college. They miss out on a lot of growth experiences.

I agree to disagree and anyone reading this thread now has two sides. The Lord will help them know when THEY are ready.

Edited by Overwatch

On 6/15/2018 at 6:47 AM, zil said:

Reject a date.  The ides of March is the 15th of March, which is a date.  Caesar.  Beware the ides of March.  Reject the date of 15 March.  Don't get stabbed?

I hope you don't have anything against the date of 25 December?

When I think of Canon I think of subjects supported by all of the prophets. 

I somehow remember this being signed... but still, I think it is great and it doesn't give a specific age for marriage or quantity of children to have

TheFamily.jpg

Edited by Overwatch

I'm going to leave my 2 cents on the current subject being addressed as a 25 year old YSA woman...

The fear of getting older and having children at an older age is always creeping up the back of our necks. We don't need any reminders. Most mid-twenty-something women are doing their best to date and try to get married so that they can start their families. But we can't wait around doing nothing while we hope and pray these men get off their lazy butts and ask girls out (or actually try to date when the girls ask them out). So as for myself, I'm continuing my education and making sure I'm as prepared as possible to support myself with a career, while also keeping marriage and family my #1 priority (which the Lord is very aware of) by dating as much as possible.

It's a great goal and desire to be married by your mid-twenties so you can start having children before 30. But as for me, and MANY of the YSA women my age, we're doing our dang best to get that to happen. But also can't put our lives on hold while we hope for that desire to come true. 

Edited by BeccaKirstyn

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

I'm going to leave my 2 cents on the current subject being addressed as a 25 year old YSA woman...

The fear of getting older and having children at an older age is always creeping up the back of our necks. We don't need any reminders. Most mid-twenty-something women are doing their best to date and try to get married so that they can start their families. But we can't wait around doing nothing while we hope and pray these men get off their lazy butts and ask girls out (or actually try to date when the girls ask them out). So as for myself, I'm continuing my education and making sure I'm as prepared as possible to support myself with a career, while also keeping marriage and family my #1 priority (which the Lord is very aware of) by dating as much as possible.

It's a great goal and desire to be married by your mid-twenties so you can start having children before 30. But as for me, and MANY of the YSA women my age, we're doing our dang best to get that to happen. But also can't put our lives on hold while we hope for that desire to come true. 

If it doesn't work out for you soon, we're always accepting new applicants down at the compound. Contact @zil for more information. 

Guest MormonGator
59 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

Is @zil accepting applications for the position of new head gator? Because I suspect that that's what all the lady gators want. Or will that require a raid and a hostile take-over?

I've tried to leave twice. So far, I'm stuck. 😉

On 6/18/2018 at 3:08 PM, BeccaKirstyn said:

Men are dumb!

Actually, I've noticed this issue in Canada, the US, Britain... The YSA aren't dating. And I don't think the issue falls on the women - For some reason, men are retreating from responsibility and I have no theory on why. In the church, this responsibility is a blessing. We shouldn't be facing the same difficulties the rest of the world is.

I am a Dad and eternal family is the greatest thing ever.

11 minutes ago, FunkyTown said:

Men are dumb!

Actually, I've noticed this issue in Canada, the US, Britain... The YSA aren't dating. And I don't think the issue falls on the women - For some reason, men are retreating from responsibility and I have no theory on why. In the church, this responsibility is a blessing. We shouldn't be facing the same difficulties the rest of the world is.

I am a Dad and eternal family is the greatest thing ever.

That's easy.  Self-preservation.  Today's men who set foot in Canadian/US/British university come to realize that it is very dangerous to get involved with women.

8 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

That's easy.  Self-preservation.  Today's men who set foot in Canadian/US/British university come to realize that it is very dangerous to get involved with women.

That's a good point, and I think I understand where you're going with this, but I have a counterargument:

Boobs.

Women have them.

2 minutes ago, FunkyTown said:

That's a good point, and I think I understand where you're going with this, but I have a counterargument:

Boobs.

Women have them.

Not worth getting branded as a rapist your entire life.  Or having children that the woman kills in the womb or take away from you while they take half your income.  Blow up dolls are the new boobs.

9 minutes ago, vitaminwater120 said:

imo, there's simply no good reason to turn down a first date (assuming the person who asks you out is an active member of the church).

Challenge accepted!

Top 10 Good Reasons to Turn Down a First Date (assuming the person who asks you out is an active member of the church)

10) They want you to sign a 12-page contract first!

9) Their last three spouses died under mysterious circumstances!

8 ) They're out on bail pending trial as a sex offender / murderer!

7) They're old enough to be your grandparent!

6) They're young enough to be your grandchild!

5) They're so closely related to you by blood or marriage that it would be immoral, illegal, and/or icky!

4) They're the same sex you are!

3) They used to be the same sex you are!

2) They're already married to someone else!

1) You're already married to someone else!

Further to above:

anger issues

they are rude or otherwise aggressive

they take illegal drugs

the Spirit warns you not to date the person

they are overly controlling

they ask you to be with them in an area that is not public

they have physically assaulted another person or touched them inappropriately

your gut says ‘Don’t be alone with this person’

Guest MormonGator
Just now, zil said:

For all the good it'll do them. . . . Wait, they'll probably be the only ones for whom it'll do any good.  Sigh.  I'll check the legal budget to be sure we have enough to keep them happy.

And I'll tell maintenance that the paychecks might be late by a few days.