How does one convince a spouse...

Backroads

One just doesn't put Indian corn in the spouse's beloved shrimp boil?

We recently planted our garden. I've become one of those millennials with a fascination for weird and/or heirloom vegetables. I got a Amazon gift card, so I treated myself to not only some tasty sweet corn but some fancy heirloom Indian corn. I plan to use it for my autumn decoration because I'm under the impression that while it's edible, that's a technicality.

Husband loves to randomly make shrimp boils and is now envisioning himself inviting friends and family over and showing off fancy colored corn in his dish.

Nothing I say will convince him this is probably a bad culinary idea.

5 hours ago, Backroads said:

One just doesn't put Indian corn in the spouse's beloved shrimp boil?

We recently planted our garden. I've become one of those millennials with a fascination for weird and/or heirloom vegetables. I got a Amazon gift card, so I treated myself to not only some tasty sweet corn but some fancy heirloom Indian corn. I plan to use it for my autumn decoration because I'm under the impression that while it's edible, that's a technicality.

Husband loves to randomly make shrimp boils and is now envisioning himself inviting friends and family over and showing off fancy colored corn in his dish.

Nothing I say will convince him this is probably a bad culinary idea.

I can't help you there.  He may be OK depending on the variety of heirloom corn you have.

https://myfarmlife.com/home-garden/the-best-varieties-of-heirloom-corn/

Some are good for eating and would be fine in a shrimp boil.

Edited by Lost Boy

I notice that 'shrimp' seems to be the only understatement in the American language. In the UK, shrimp are the kind of diminutive crustacea children fish for in beach-side rock pools. That's not to denigrate them; one can cook up a very fine Bouillabaisse with just shrimps, onions, seasoning and a portion of fish stock. But in the US, shrimp seems cover anything from shrimps through prawns and langoustines to crayfish and lobsters. I might be able to help more, if you were more specific about the size of 'shrimp' you want to cook.

But, more generally, I would say that cooking, like life, is all about enthusiastic experiment. We come into the world knowing nothing, and if we leave it knowing anything, it is because we have tried something out, and either found it to work, or not to work. Either way, we have learned. Let your hubby pursue his dream!

Best wishes, 2RM.

Edited by 2ndRateMind

On 6/16/2018 at 6:01 PM, 2ndRateMind said:

I notice that 'shrimp' seems to be the only understatement in the American language. In the UK, shrimp are the kind of diminutive crustacea children fish for in beach-side rock pools. That's not to denigrate them; one can cook up a very fine Bouillabaisse with just shrimps, onions, seasoning and a portion of fish stock. But in the US, shrimp seems cover anything from shrimps through prawns and langoustines to crayfish and lobsters.

That's what happens when you give them freedom.

'Murica!

x354-q80.jpg

On 6/16/2018 at 6:01 PM, 2ndRateMind said:

I notice that 'shrimp' seems to be the only understatement in the American language. In the UK, shrimp are the kind of diminutive crustacea children fish for in beach-side rock pools. That's not to denigrate them; one can cook up a very fine Bouillabaisse with just shrimps, onions, seasoning and a portion of fish stock. But in the US, shrimp seems cover anything from shrimps through prawns and langoustines to crayfish and lobsters.

Just to clarify on that, we do distinguish crayfish and lobsters.  But yeah for most of the rest, it's generically called just "shrimp." For marketing we distinguish by size.