Prayer-kneeling vs sitting

Petty3

54 minutes ago, Petty3 said:

What are your thoughts about kneeling while praying versus sitting while praying?  Is there much of a difference to you or do you think it matters?

Do what works best for you, it totally doesn't matter.

For me, kneeling is painful position- not good for anything.  So I'm a prayer-sitter.  

1 hour ago, Petty3 said:

What are your thoughts about kneeling while praying versus sitting while praying?  Is there much of a difference to you or do you think it matters?

I have been taught throughout my life to pray while kneeling or standing, and generally agree that it is a manner to show respect to our Heavenly Father.  However, I have personally determined that it is most important that I pray in a way that is conducive to staying focused on the Lord and on the intent of my prayer.  Sometimes that means going outside the norm in order to be most effective at focusing.

Guest MormonGator
12 minutes ago, zil said:

Dude, everybody prays when you're driving.

(Sorry, it was just too easy!)

I always feel closer to God when you drive @zil.

because I'm convinced that I've only been saved by divine intervention! 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Petty3 said:

I had someone tell me that they feel more humble and closer to the spirit when kneeling.  But I figure that it's better to pray in any position then not pray at all...right?

That's fine if they feel the spirit like that, but we're all different. 

And you are absolutely right that it's better to pray in any position than to not pray at all! 

Edited by MormonGator

2 hours ago, Petty3 said:

If I am at home I'll kneel the majority of the time and make sure to take off my shoes if not immediately leaving. If I am public and I am wearing a hat I will remove it even though it doesn't look like I am praying. I just try to remember that even though He is my father, He is also the King of the Universe...

All in all I believe Father would rather have us talk to Him and show our gratitude for Him however we are able to (as situation permits) 

1 hour ago, Petty3 said:

I had someone tell me that they feel more humble and closer to the spirit when kneeling.  But I figure that it's better to pray in any position then not pray at all...right?

Yes... well no...but yes. But like how It is better to go to church once a month than not at all.

I strongly believe that prayer should be said on your knees or while standing. Nothing should get in the way of a morning and evening prayer said whilst kneeling before your father in heaven.

Along with that, praying in your heart m while walking, driving, at school, work or with friends is a great supplement, but should NEVER replace a kneeling morning and evening prayer. 

As soon as we start praying while laying down in bed in the morning is the moment prayer becomes as important as flipping your pillow over to the cold side.

Along with this we ought to pray over every meal, standing or sitting seems just fine.

Study the following:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2012/10/patterns-of-prayer-in-the-book-of-mormon?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1996/01/after-this-manner-pray-ye?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2003/04/sweet-power-of-prayer?lang=eng

note: all I said above obviously changes when someone has bad knees or any condition that prevents them. 

It's a long time since I last saw someone kneel to pray in church, though the priests still always say "let us sit or kneel" when intercessions are coming up. And most churches do still have kneeling cushions provided!

HASSOCKS!!

No, it's true, see for yourself...

kneelers.jpg

I remember a talk many years ago that the speaker began by saying that it was his desire that during his talk – to comfort the affected.   But also, it was his desire to afflict the comfortable.   I am somewhat of this kind of mind; that whatever position you are comfortable praying – humble yourself and submit to a position that is most uncomfortable for you.  Perhaps this will help focus less on ourselves and more on what is really important.   It seems the more uncomfortable I am; the more meaningful are my prayers.

The Traveler