Going or not on a mission

Patrick1921

Since I was a child I wanted to go on a mission. When I was almost the required age to go on a mission I got a job and I had savings for my mission. Unfortunately, my hand was injured. First, it wasn't something that needed surgery but running into bad doctos made my injured hand worse. Later, I needed to get two surgeries. I could only get these surgeries because the Church helped me, it wasn't the whole amount that it actually cost but the half which was enough. 

Before my injured hand, I think my hobby was visit people with the missionaries, it was a lot of fun, I saw how many people changed, they wanted to be better and they were striving. After missionaries' lunch, the missionaries knocked my door to visit people till' night, that was my routine for over two years. 

Today, I went to talk with my bishop, I told him I didn't want to go on a mission, I've already get my calling and I need to be at the MTC in August, I had my second surgery 2 weeks before today and I'm starting rehabilitation next week because of my injury. I told my bishop I may apply to BYU Idaho online, but I'll need to talk with the stake president, my bishop told me he'll probably not want me to study at BYUI online because I haven't served, and probably he tells me about the help I received and I feel chained because of this. If I can't go on a mission because of my treatment, I think my stake president won't let me study at BYUI, it's like all the time visiting with the missionaries doesn't matter at all. I don't know but people don't believe that it hurts as much as it is, if I say I can't go because if my treatment, their thinking may be "He doesn't want to go because he's not obedient", stake president and bishop think I'm already 100% to go. It's like I need to be serious or sad around them to really believe me, I have nothing against them and well, I know my bishop for over 15 years and really respect him. 

When I preached along the missionaries, we told people that the gospel is happiness and makes people happier than they already are, but now it just feels it's a burden. It is not that I have done something wrong so that I can't go, it is just that my freaky hand doesn't heal for over two years and a half.

Edited by Patrick1921

19 hours ago, Patrick1921 said:

Since I was a child I wanted to go on a mission. When I was almost the required age to go on a mission I got a job and I had savings for my mission. Unfortunately, my hand was injured. First, it wasn't something that needed surgery but running into bad doctos made my injured hand worse. Later, I needed to get two surgeries. I could only get these surgeries because the Church helped me, it wasn't the whole amount that it actually cost but the half which was enough. 

Before my injured hand, I think my hobby was visit people with the missionaries, it was a lot of fun, I saw how many people changed, they wanted to be better and they were striving. After missionaries' lunch, the missionaries knocked my door to visit people till' night, that was my routine for over two years. 

Today, I went to talk with my bishop, I told him I didn't want to go on a mission, I've already get my calling and I need to be at the MTC in August, I had my second surgery 2 weeks before today and I'm starting rehabilitation next week because of my injury. I told my bishop I may apply to BYU Idaho online, but I'll need to talk with the stake president, my bishop told me he'll probably not want me to study at BYUI online because I haven't served, and probably he tells me about the help I received and I feel chained because of this. If I can't go on a mission because of my treatment, I think my stake president won't let me study at BYUI, it's like all the time visiting with the missionaries doesn't matter at all. I don't know but people don't believe that it hurts as much as it is, if I say I can't go because if my treatment, their thinking may be "He doesn't want to go because he's not obedient", stake president and bishop think I'm already 100% to go. It's like I need to be serious or sad around them to really believe me, I have nothing against them and well, I know my bishop for over 15 years and really respect him. 

When I preached along the missionaries, we told people that the gospel is happiness and makes people happier than they already are, but now it just feels it's a burden. It is not that I have done something wrong so that I can't go, it is just that my freaky hand doesn't heal for over two years and a half.

Patrick, I see a lot of statements, observations and opinions here but did you have a specific question you were looking for help with?

I highly doubt that an injured hand would prevent you from serving ever. Because of physical/occupational therapy, your date may be pushed back, but these things happen. Trust in the Lord's timing, my friend. I have a friend who had to postpone putting in his papers because his parents (in different states) didn't keep track of his immunizations. Rather than trying to track them down half a continent away, he decided to just get them all at 20. (Took him an extra year to save the money.) He thought he'd be in the MTC by now, but it won't happen until at least September. Another friend of mine recently returned a few weeks early because during the last transfer on his mission, they found out there was some kind of thing wrong with his stomach. He had really wanted to serve his full two years and was bummed about coming home early, but this allowed him to be around for his sister's graduation and fill a couple of calling gaps in our branch. You'd be surprised how flexible mission plans can be when health is involved. 

As for "wasting time" with the missionaries, I think you're the only one who sees it that way. Missionaries LOVEE having a member with them during lessons and discussions!! It provides the investigator with ties to the ward and the secular world, neither of which missionaries have in abundance (on their mission). It lends credibility to what they're teaching. The investigators sometimes learn more more from a regular Joe than the missionaries. I've never served a "proper mission," and probably won't until I'm a senior (single or couple will depend on what happens in the next thirty years) but I went to a lesson with the missionaries today, in fact. I definitely don't consider it a waste of time. Read D&C 4.

On 6/19/2018 at 1:43 AM, Patrick1921 said:

I think you be okay truly to study even if you no serve a mission (obviously).