Doing what is right in an out of control world

prisonchaplain

On 6/19/2018 at 12:06 AM, prisonchaplain said:

LDS emphasis the importance of good works more than most Protestant churches. How does the Holy Spirit help one accomplish all that fruitful labor?

“One of the great ironies of life is this: He or she who serves almost always benefits more than he or she who is served.”  President Hinckley

During times I am struggling with something I find that doing acts of service make that struggle not so difficult. It gives me the strength to keep fighting.  I believe this is because when we turn our attention away from ourselves to others in service of Him we are opening ourselves to His grace and power in a way that we never could if we just remain focused on ourselves  

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2018 at 8:49 AM, prisonchaplain said:

No matter how broken we are (regardless of faith tradition), we still bare the image of God.

All good is from God other Faith's have a portion of the good. Other Faith's will have an opportunity to enter the Kingdom. LDS must live up to what they have been given. God is all good and all fair. The more you were given the more that is expected. 

• pam unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2018 at 2:54 PM, FunkyTown said:

It's now been one month since we asked our questions and still haven't received an actual answer to any question we asked.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

Well... maybe if you finish that story you were working on with @zil and the other folks he'll answer your questions at its conclusion.  :D

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Well... maybe if you finish that story you were working on with @zil and the other folks he'll answer your questions at its conclusion.  :D

I have no earthly idea what story this is in reference to, nor what questions FunkyTown is talking about.  I don't even remember what this thread is about, and I'm not about to go re-read 11 pages of posts to find out. :)

1 minute ago, FunkyTown said:

Hitler time travel. ;)

Oooooh.  Well, that was a good story.  Don't think I'll be attempting a copy-cat story.

Meanwhile, it appears this thread is from eons ago (on the zil sliding scale of time passing where "ago" gets exponentially longer ago the longer ago it was).  I appear to have erased it from my memory banks in order to create space for thoughts on doing extra fine ink reviews.  Step one appears to be to make a pseudo light box.

38 minutes ago, zil said:

Oooooh.  Well, that was a good story.  Don't think I'll be attempting a copy-cat story.

Meanwhile, it appears this thread is from eons ago (on the zil sliding scale of time passing where "ago" gets exponentially longer ago the longer ago it was).  I appear to have erased it from my memory banks in order to create space for thoughts on doing extra fine ink reviews.  Step one appears to be to make a pseudo light box.

Terry Pratchett said you could  travel dimensions with a potato, a box, a lever and a bit of copper wire.

6 minutes ago, zil said:

Well, he would know.

I will summarize this thread for you. A question was asked.

2ndRateMind asked us a question. In order to more properly frame the answer in a way he would understand and accept, I asked him if he could provide some information and insight in to how he saw the world

70 posts later, we were still no closer to understanding anything. I summarized my understanding of what he had posted, with such vague stuff as that he believes that Jesus "knew objective truth. Or saved us all without knowing objective truth. Or didn't save us and was just a philosophical scholar."

Several pages of posts later, I called him out on it and he promised to start anew on this thread and answer questions. One month later with no responses, I think he may have ghosted. I can't be sure. But I suspect it.

On 6/22/2018 at 4:48 PM, MormonGator said:

I do know that one.  It always reminded me of an Emily Dickinson poem. 

My personal favorite by Housman: 

IF it chance your eye offend you,

Pluck it out, lad, and be sound:

’Twill hurt, but here are salves to friend you,

And many a balsam grows on ground.

And if your hand or foot offend you,        

Cut it off, lad, and be whole;

But play the man, stand up and end you,

When your sickness is your soul.

That,  and the famous "When I was One and Twenty". I like his poems that deal with regret. 

Could Man Be Drunk Forever

Could man be drunk for ever 
With liquor, love, or fights, 
Lief should I rouse at morning 
And lief lie down of nights. 

But men at whiles are sober 
And think by fits and starts, 
And if they think, they fasten 
Their hands upon their hearts.