Ether, Chapter 1 And 2

serapha

Ether 1:2

2 And I take mine account from the twenty and four plates which were found by the people of Limhi, which is called the Book of Ether.

And, are these plates are not a part of the composite bom set of plates? So, there are several sets of plates hidden somewhere in the world yet to be discovered?

Ether 1:34

34 And the brother of Jared being a large and mighty man, and a man highly favored of the Lord, Jared, his brother, said unto him: Cry unto the Lord, that he will not confound us that we may not understand our words.

And, to understand, Jared is the kinly lineage while his brother is the priestly lineage?

‘While residing in Kirtland, Elder Reynolds Cahoon had a son born to him. One day, while the Prophet Joseph Smith was passing by his door, he called the Prophet in and asked him to bless and name the baby. Joseph did so and gave the baby the name of Mahonri Moriancumer. When he had finished the blessing he laid the child upon the bed, and turning to the father, Elder Cahoon, he said, 'The name I have given your son is the name of the Brother of Jared; the Lord has just shown (or revealed) it to me.' Elder William F. Cahoon, who was standing nearby, heard the Prophet make this statement to his father; and this was the first time the name of the Brother of Jared was known in the Church in this dispensation.” (George Reynolds and Janne M. Sjodahl, Commentary on the Book of Mormon, edited and arranged by Philip C. Reynolds, 7 vols. [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1955-1961], 6: 69.)

Ether 1:35

35 And it came to pass that the brother of Jared did cry unto the Lord, and the Lord had compassion upon Jared; therefore he did not confound the language of Jared; and Jared and his brother were not confounded.

Am I to understand that Jared was given a revelation from God concerning the confounding of languages..... a prophecy that God was going to disperse the people? ... and then Jared tells the priestly brother to intercede so the fate of the jaredites would be changed?

Ether 1:37

37 And it came to pass that the brother of Jared did cry unto the Lord, and the Lord had compassion upon their friends and their families also, that they were not confounded.

So, intercessory prayer can be made for "friends and their families" with the expectation that God will answer concerning friends and friend's families regardless of their spiritual state?

Ether 2:2

2 And they did also lay snares and catch fowls of the air; and they did also prepare a vessel, in which they did carry with them the fish of the waters.

Does anyone have a clue of the magnitute of this endeavor and the spacial needs that would be required to transport the "fowls" and the "fish" as well as to supply the physical needs of the people?

5 And it came to pass that the Lord commanded them that they should go forth into the wilderness, yea, into that quarter where there never had man been....

Is this Saudi Arabia, and the "quarter" where no one lives in the desert?

7 And the Lord would not suffer that they should stop beyond the sea in the wilderness, but he would that they should come forth even unto the land of promise, which was choice above all other lands, which the Lord God had preserved for a righteous people.

The trip took a year which corresponds to the 344-day current that crosses the Pacific... but the general location is understood to be via the Med or Black Sea and going across the Atlantic. Again, any ideas on the spacial requirements to even carry enough water and provisions to survive a year?

Ether 2:12

12 Behold, this is a choice land, and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall be free from bondage, and from captivity, and from all other nations under heaven, if they will but serve the God of the land, who is Jesus Christ, who hath been manifested by the things which we have written.

How is the determination made that the God of the land of promise, c. 2700 BC was Jesus Christ? Did the Jaredites serve Jesus Christ? Then why the suggestions of the priestly line through Jared's brother?

15 And the brother of Jared repented of the evil which he had done, and did call upon the name of the Lord for his brethren who were with him. And the Lord said unto him: I will forgive thee and thy brethren of their sins; but thou shalt not sin any more, for ye shall remember that my Spirit will not always strive with man; wherefore, if ye will sin until ye are fully ripe ye shall be cut off from the presence of the Lord. And these are my thoughts upon the land which I shall give you for your inheritance; for it shall be a land choice above all other lands.

So, if the Jaredites worshiped Jesus Christ, did they have the Holy Spirit also, or is this just a reference to the Spirit sent by God but not indwelling the man.

They had to carry fresh water for the 22 friends (males) plus their familieds. That alone is a monumental task. It is estimated that it would take 2200 gallons of water... minimum, and that would only be a 6-week supply.

A question, were the barges traveling under water on on surface?

~serapha~

I've been dealing with a sick kid (102+ fever) so I don't have a lot to time to adress all the questions, just curious why you jumped ahead?

Well, because I know that the bom says that the jaredites traveled across the waters. I was reading on "how" the early ships were built... not nailed together, but the boards sewn together with rope. So, I was reading to see how the ship was described. In doing so, I read something that seemed to indicate that possibly the "ships" were underwater... such as no fires. BTW... it was a monumental task to gather everything that would be needed for a voyage of a year's duration. The amount of provisions for the people as well as the repairs to the ship, and then to include "fish"... etc.

~serapha~