Happiness

tubaloth

I get the opportunity to teach/council an Elders Quorum in a mid singles ward (31-45)  in Utah.   We had noticed a couple of Elders are kind of negative.   I caught hold of idea about the Plan of Happiness, and we should be happy.  I will share some of the scriptures and talked in the next post.  One idea that popped into my mind is that Happiness is a spiritual feeling.   I might be the last person on earth that finally realized that.  Before I felt like Happiness was more of a physical attitude/state of mind.   I think it still is, but I now feel like a happy spirit can lead to a happy attitude. 

Edited by tubaloth

Scriptures:

1 Nephi 8  8-10 

10 And it came to pass that I beheld a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy.

2 Nephi 5:27

27 And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness.

Mormon 9:27

14 And then cometh the judgment of the Holy One upon them; and then cometh the time that he that is filthy shall be filthy still; and he that is righteous shall be righteous still; he that is happy shall be happy still; and he that is unhappy shall be unhappy still.

Quote by Joseph Smith

Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it; and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God. [Teachings, 255–56]

Talks

Finding Joy in Life

Quote:

Sadness, disappointment, and severe challenge are events in life, not life itself. I do not minimize how hard some of these events are. They can extend over a long period of time, but they should not be allowed to become the confining center of everything you do.

Our Search for Happiness

Quote:

The problem is that too many of us try to consume happiness rather than generate it.

Your Happily Ever After

I just found this, this morning. 

http://worldhappiness.report/ed/2018/ 

I haven't gotten into it yet.  Passing it on.

Edited by tubaloth

I think it comes in waves. You'll be super energetic and alive then something bad will happen. I ran into a mainstream christian woman at a natural foods store. She was feeling so righteous, full of the power Jesus. She was on "cloud nine" according to her. Anyway, she gave me her two cents and of course I listened, being complete strangers I just let her do her thing. It was nice but I am pretty sure her gold fish died a few days later to knock her off of her "cloud".

A lot about mortality sucks. Like, I'm not even joking but a lot of it is good. I can only imagine how crappy a 31-45 yr old feels having to go to bed alone EVERYNIGHT. I can only imagine being divorced and with kids :C So, I can totally see how some of the brethren can be hating life.

Happiness is possible but I don't expect everyone to always be perky and "alive".Especially if personal growth, family, work and church can start to take a toll. If someone says the are ALWAYS HAPPY OR AT PEACE I'll just walk away from them.

I remember reading a man's account of attending a seminar of sorts where this other man was teaching about peace and self control. He claimed to have mastered these two attributes. So the author walked up with a cup of water he had and threw it in the teacher's face. Well, the self control master became very irate and lost composure.

Anyway, I hope your lesson goes well and shows some positive results

1 hour ago, tubaloth said:

I get the opportunity to teach/council an Elders Quorum in a mid singles ward (31-45)  in Utah.   We had noticed a couple of Elders are kind of negative.   I caught hold of idea about the Plan of Happiness, and we should be happy.  I will share some of the scriptures and talked in the next post.  One idea that popped into my mind is that Happiness is a spiritual feeling.   I might be the last person on earth that finally realized that.  Before I felt like Happiness was more of a physical attitude/state of mind.   I think it still is, but I now feel like a happy spirit can lead to a happy attitude. 

Get yourself this book and have yourself a good discussion on the philosophies of men mingled with scripture

https://books.google.com/books/about/Happy_Lives_Good_Lives.html?id=DhNbDwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button

Edited by Fether

2 hours ago, tubaloth said:

Very good post.  Thank-you!

i think happiness is not something you feel, it's something you see.  As subjective as beauty is.  To an extent, in everyone, there seems to be something that looks back inside.  An outside observer.  And when whatever it is that looks back inside (consciousness perhaps) is pleased at what it sees, you're happy.  Happiness for me is a quiet, gentle, pure, beautiful, innocent safeness.  i don't express that with smiles or laughter.  i'm not sure it can be expressed with constant smiles and laughter.  But i know many people who are far better than me who do express their happiness in that way.  And when they do it, it's natural and entirely perfect!

i'm not so sure happiness is the main point of this life anyways.  We are carving out the place in our souls that holds happiness.  Generally, that's harder to do when it's full - though i'll be the first to recommend that one take a swim when it's full, and never let it go empty for too long!  :) 

But this idea that one not being outwardly happy is an indication you are doing something wrong i'm not so sure about.  i heartily recommend reading Mother Teresa's journals - or a book that talks about them.  She - perhaps one of the people who acted in a way most deserving of happiness - felt horrifically lonely and abandoned by God for most of her life.  

Often, there is nothing more discouraging or frustrating to a person who isn't happy than hearing people tell them they ought to be happy.  It may be that they are going through something they think is good reason to to feel unhappy.  It may be that they are lacking in things they feel they need In order to be happy.  Whatever the case, it often comes off as dismissing their trials. (Yes, I know that's not intended.)

Often, when people talk about being happy, they mention either generic things or things this person doesn't have.  They rarely talk about how to become happy despite trials, let alone when you feel helpless to change the things which seem necessary for happiness.  I have found discussions on how to gain or maintain happiness despite struggles are more useful than, say, listing all the reasons people ought to be happy (which sounds to an unhappy person like finding fault with them, thus making more unhappy).

It can be very hard to choose to be happy. I don't think it can be done without God's help.  This, this should be part of that discussion. 

It's how I describe the difference between happiness and joy.  Happiness is riding a roller coaster, or getting a high score on a video game, or when your favorite team makes the playoffs.  It's euphoric and exciting and makes you want to jump up and down and hug random strangers.

Joy is feeding a homeless man and he thanks you for it.  It's watching your child's first steps.  It's going to the temple and being sealed for eternity as a family.  It's when you love someone more than yourself.  It's so much more than just happiness.  It's when you connect your spirit with another spirit.  Honestly, thinking about it, I don't think you can have joy alone.  It only exists through the connections with others.

Edited by bytebear