Friend Has Alot Of Questions

Andy_Plsn

hey all i was hoping all of you could help me out with one of my friends. he has alot of questions about the church and i have done alot of short little statements to try to answer him (like in Elder Ballards talk). it seems like its not really working to answer his questions he can believe that joseph smith could translate the book of mormon and says that no one can answer his questions. i have tried many a time and every time he has more questions and i tell him that i will get back to him with answers and then i do and he has 2 or 3 more really hard ones. last week i found out that he was looking at alot of anti stuff and thats where he was getting all of his questions and i told him if he wanted to know the truth all he would have to do is pray about it and he would know. he is also stuck up on what he calls basing an entire faith on a "feeling". i try to tell him that its the holy ghost and its like its just not getting through to him. i was just wondering how i could help him. every time i try to answer his questions its like he goes on the defensive and starts to pretty much argue, so i dont know what to do because i do truly want to answer his questions.

andy

I would ask him if he's interested in arguing, or if he really wants to be informed.

If he wants to be informed, send him to mormon.org and perhaps arrange for him to meet the missionaries. However, if he wants to jump right to the really hard questions, perhaps you should see if you have a scholarly institute director or someone like that who would like to chat with him. :)

If this friend is close, and is not interested in converting...perhaps interested in converting you...it's up to you. You can tell him that you're happy where you are, and would be happy to refer him to misisonaries etc, if he becomes interested. OR, you could give him the benefit of the doubt, go the extra mile, and ask him, "Just tell me, in your own words, what you really think and what you really want to know. Don't answer his questions--just get him to keep talking. Then, you'll begin to see what he's really after.

I have to agree with nancy and pam... ask him if he really wants to know of if he just wants to prove you wrong. He may really want to know and if he does get him in contact with the Institute Director in your area. He should be able to answer any questions of this nature that your friend has.

Good Luck!

yeah but Jason, praying just isnt enough for people with very specific questions who arent members. Its not enough for me, and even I cant get answers to some of my questions because Im hit with the auto-mormon responses that do nothing to help me....oh just have faith, pray about it..u'll find out in the next life...thats just not enough and it wont be for Andy's friend either. I wholly agree on what he says, you cant just base your entire faith on a feeling. I agree with previous responses-find a really knowledgable or scholarly person to answer his questions-and make sure it is someone OPEN MINDED who wont offend your friend.

Aphrodite, my point is that he's closed minded. He wants proof, instead of having faith. He's already made up his mind that Joseph Smith isn't a prophet and the Book of Mormon. I recommended praying because that the best way to gain an answer, not by asking a bunch of strangers in a chat forum. If he already thinks it's false, though, then there is really no point in praying is there? God will only answer prayers of those who are humble and have faith. Websites and such are a good way to find out what the doctrine is, but they alone will not testify to a person that the doctrine is true. Humble prayer is required.

Just to throw a wrench in the monkey works, sometimes the hardest skeptic is the one who is about to break through. Truly hardened hearts just don't care.

So, two proverbs fit here. The one most are camping on is not casting pearls before swine. Of course the other--not really a parable, but a story--is that one of the early Christians' greatest enemies, Saul, became it's most prolific writer and defender. Could it be that those fixated on spiritual truth (even in the form of antagogism) are often ones the Holy Spirit is wooing?

No solutions here...just another line of thought. :-)

...last week i found out that he was looking at alot of anti stuff and thats where he was getting all of his questions and i told him if he wanted to know the truth all he would have to do is pray about it and he would know. he is also stuck up on what he calls basing an entire faith on a "feeling".

I think the answer to you question goes to "motovation", Andy. What is your friend's motovation for asking the questions he is asking? Does he really want answers, or is he just baiting you in an effort to weaken your testimony? You really have to determine that first.

His trying to start a "debate" with you does not sound to me much like someone who is interested in an answer. I too had a boat load of questions when I first started to look into the teachings of the Church. And it's true that for every answer one gets, it usually raises two more questions.

When you decide if you friend is serious or not will determine how you respond to him. I would be interested in hearing how things develop for you, as, I'm sure, others here will too.