Sacrament. Is it essential for our salvation?

carlimac

I'm teaching Young Women again tomorrow. July= Ordinances and Covenants.  

Would you say that taking the sacrament is essential for exaltation?   ( I originally wrote salvation but  I guess salvation and exaltation aren't exactly the same thing.) Is it a "saving" ordinance?

Edited by carlimac

Ordinances are a necessary element of salvation.  It is impossible to fulfil all righteousness without participation in and devotion to; the ordinances of G-d.  In the 24 Chapter of Isaiah – the prophet warns that changing the ordinances is an act of apostasy that separates mankind from G-d and his blessings – including salvation.

The Traveler

Another way of asking the topical question is: "Do we need to renew our baptismal covenants and weekly be cleansed of our sins in order to be saved or exalted?"

The answer, it seems to me, depends in part upon whether or not one sins after baptism.

Also, rationally speaking, and expanding a bit on what @Traveler said, entering into advanced deifying covenants and ordinances (such as those made within the Temple) requires faithful observance of fundamental covenants and ordinances (such as baptism and the sacrament)--not unlike needing to first live the law of tithing before taking on the higher law of sacrifice. It is the way of progression (from ordinance to ordinance) unto Godhood.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Edited by wenglund

Guest LiterateParakeet
On 6/30/2018 at 6:56 PM, zil said:

No.  See this link:

https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrinal-mastery-core-document/doctrinal-topics?lang=eng&para=p91#title22

Searching lds.org should find additional locations which list saving ordinances.

Technically no...and yet, to go to the temple and receive the saving ordinances there, you must be attending Sacrament meeting and taking the Sacrament

13 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

Not a saving ordinance per se, but us sinners find it convenient. 😎

LOL, and that would include literally all of us.  

6 hours ago, wenglund said:

Another way of asking the same question as the topic is: "Do we need to renew our baptismal covenants and weekly be cleansed of our sins in order to be saved or exalted?"

The answer, it seems to me, to depend in part upon whether or not one sins after baptism.

Also, rationally speaking, and expanding a bit on what @Traveler said, entering into advanced deifying covenants and ordinances (such as those made within the Temple) requires faithful observance of fundamental covenants and ordinances (such as the baptism and the sacrament)--not unlike needing to first live the law of tithing before taking on the higher law of sacrifice. It is the way of progression (from ordinance to ordinance) unto Godhood.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

What’s the law of sacrifice?

2 hours ago, Grunt said:

It's one of the laws we covenant to live as part of our endowment (in the temple).

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1975/04/obedience-consecration-and-sacrifice?lang=eng

Sacrifice and consecration are inseparably intertwined. The law of consecration is that we consecrate our time, our talents, and our money and property to the cause of the Church: such are to be available to the extent they are needed to further the Lord’s interests on earth.

The law of sacrifice is that we are willing to sacrifice all that we have for the truth’s sake—our character and reputation; our honor and applause; our good name among men; our houses, lands, and families: all things, even our very lives if need be.

Joseph Smith said, “A religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary [to lead] unto life and salvation.” (Lectures on Faith, p. 58.)

We are not always called upon to live the whole law of consecration and give all of our time, talents, and means to the building up of the Lord’s earthly kingdom. Few of us are called upon to sacrifice much of what we possess, and at the moment there is only an occasional martyr in the cause of revealed religion.

But what the scriptural account means is that to gain celestial salvation we must be able to live these laws to the full if we are called upon to do so. Implicit in this is the reality that we must in fact live them to the extent we are called upon so to do.

5 hours ago, Grunt said:

In another thread I tried to address law as related to covenants.  But I would speak for myself and my understanding as it relates to the “Law of Sacrifice”.   As intelligent beings addressing the goal of freedom and liberty (salvation?) as opposed to bondage, captivity and Hell I have concluded that there is a three step process or progression.

I believe the first step towards freedom and liberty is the “Law of Sacrifice”.  For me it help to understand the Law of Sacrifice by realizing the dark principle that opposes it – which is the opposite of sacrifice or self-indulgence.

Sacrifice is the first step of discipline.  All things are ordered through discipline.   Sacrifice is the beginning of discipline and is necessary to become a disciple of Christ that is the example of sacrifice.

It is also my opinion that dark forces try to corrupt the understanding of sacrifice to define sacrifice as forsaking or giving up – an abandonment.  This is misleading – the real meaning of sacrifice is to make eternal and sacred.  What is given up or abandoned is the individual pride of self-ownership and control.  The example of sacrifice is Christ – that disciplined himself and his desires to become one with the light of Christ that is the power of G-dlyness.  Thus we sacrifice our sins and discipline ourselves to become one with G-d the Father and Christ.

The Traveler

It is not considered a "saving ordinance". However, it is a very important part of Repentance, and the receipt of the Holy Ghost. Repentance is ultimately necessary, so partaking of the Sacrament each week, although not necessary per se, makes the journey much, much easier. Although it isn't necessary for salvation, I can't imagine anyone achieving exhalation who doesn't partake of the Sacrament worthily every week and receive the added portion of the spirit it brings.

5 hours ago, scottyg said:

It is not considered a "saving ordinance". However, it is a very important part of Repentance, and the receipt of the Holy Ghost. Repentance is ultimately necessary, so partaking of the Sacrament each week, although not necessary per se, makes the journey much, much easier. Although it isn't necessary for salvation, I can't imagine anyone achieving exhalation who doesn't partake of the Sacrament worthily every week and receive the added portion of the spirit it brings.

I think it is safe to say that anyone who has been baptized and is fully capable of taking the sacrament every week and chooses not to will not be saved. It is a saving ordinance for those than can partake of it