Can you explain this D&C about family please?

Lee

My wife and I were reading an LDS family guidebook to prepare for our first child, this D&C was quoted in it.  

“Inasmuch as parents have children in Zion, or in any of her stakes which are organized, that teach them not to understand the doctrine of repentance, faith in Christ the Son of the living God, and of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of the hands, when eight years old, the sin be upon the heads of the parents.

“For this shall be a law unto the inhabitants of Zion, or in any of her stakes which are organized.

“And their children shall be baptized for the remission of their sins when eight years old, and receive the laying on of the hands.

“And they shall also teach their children to pray, and to walk uprightly before the Lord” (D&C 68:25–28).

Does it mean that if your child doesn't want to be baptized when 8 years old then their sins are taken as yours? Honestly, I never bother with D&C because they confuse me and generally just bore me but this one popped up and has intrigued me. 

@LeeI once had a lovely young women’s teacher. She taught in her home and her children sat in on the lesson. One of the children kept up a constant pattern of criticism and nasty comments during the lesson. The teacher did her best. I doubt that God blamed that teacher for her son’s comments. She tried to educate her children.

If you do not teach your children then God will be displeased. I am not sure that all of your children’s sins are considered to be the parent’s fault even if you do not teach them properly.

First we need to make sure we are clear on the difference between

Those who sin with a good knowledge understanding of the fact that they are sinning...

And Those who sin without any knowledge or understanding of the fact that they are sinning...

The first one requires repentance and Christ Atonement to make right... The second (those without Law) just need the Atonement.

These two types are clearly talked about and explained in various scriptures.

However the test and purpose of this life is to Choose to Follow God.  This requires knowledge.  So to give people knowledge God calls  and give stewardship to people (From Parents to Prophets).  They have or are otherwise given the knowledge and then are commanded to share and teach those God has given them stewardship over.

In the scriptures those who have the stewardship to teach are said to have the people's Blood on their garments (see Jacob in the BofM and Blood and Sins of a Generation)  Which is just another way of saying that the people's sin is on the Steward's head (as you read in the D&C)

Should these Stewards exercise all do diligence then they have fulfilled the command and they are free from this. If not... if the Stewards instead chose to SIN and disobey then it is on them.

So to answer your question... this does not mean that the people  being taught must obey such commands... (they have agency so that would not be fair to the Steward) only that they were taught.

In the Case of the D&C you quoted the Lord is making it clear that the same standard he holds the Prophet to in teaching the people is the same standard he holds Parents to.  The only difference in the range of the stewardship.

And to end with and interesting thought.... God holds himself to the same standard.  God holds himself responsible for the teaching of everyone.  And through Christ's atonement took all of our sins on his own head.  In my opinion his is exactly why those without knowledge only need the atonement, because God is holding himself accountable for that lack and not the individual in question. (Of course if he commanded someone to teach and they did not then they share in this accountability)