Contemplating divorce

1 hour ago, Lee said:

Why should she stop doing something just because he dislikes it, 

For the same reason I tell my nephew to stop kicking me when he is grumpy

Edited by Fether

7 hours ago, Fether said:

In my mind, those situations in which he was telling her things were situations like “We need to have family scripture study” and she says “no, I’m too tired” and he says “I’m sorry but we need to” and BOOM power struggle ensues.

Right, because that reaction is not counseling with her and persuading her and looking for a solution where everyone is OK with it.  It is pressuring her and ignoring her feelings and needs.  Badgering people into doing the right thing at the expense of the relationship provokes rebellion, especially with teenagers.  You persuade and encourage and cooperatively look for other options but It is counterproductive to push it to the point of harming the relationship. 

...And as far as he telling her to stop doing something he dislikes, I had a girlfriend once that would say rude things to me and I would say “Please stop” and she would precede to make fun of me. So it isn’t too far fetched for me to believe that she is just being rude.

Even if she is being rude, that doesn't make it right for him to respond by commanding her to obey him.