What are you reading scripture-wise?

Sunday21

Guest LiterateParakeet

Ohhhh!  So glad you asked.  What I have found that is working for me right now is listening to the Book of Mormon on my 30 minute commute to work (and first thing when I wake up on my days off.)  Because I have a goal to learn all the stories of the Book of Mormon (not just the ones about Nephi and Ammon, LOL!) and because sometimes my mind wanders, I listen to the same section over and over before moving on.  

I find this really helpful.  You mentioned scary parts ahead....oh boy, for me the WORST part of the Book of Mormon is Moroni.  Mormon writes this letter to Moroni detailing the horrors, I mean that literally, of the end of the Nephites.  I listened to that ONCE and I was like, "Sorry, Mormon, but I can't listen to that again."  How did I never notice how awful that is?  

Oh a happier note....I feel the Spirit more abundantly in my life.  Sometimes while I'm reading new ideas about the scriptures come to me.  Other times I just feel it later in the day when I am working with my children, or helping a friend.  Pres. Nelson in his talk about where we would be without the Book of Mormon said we should feel as if we don't want to go a day without reading it.  I feel that way now.  I don't want to miss out on feeling the Spirit in my daily life!

In the past, during a difficult (understatement) time of my life, the New Testament was my rock!   I hope to someday love the Old Testament too....  One book at a time.  :)  

1 hour ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Ohhhh!  So glad you asked.  What I have found that is working for me right now is listening to the Book of Mormon on my 30 minute commute to work (and first thing when I wake up on my days off.)  Because I have a goal to learn all the stories of the Book of Mormon (not just the ones about Nephi and Ammon, LOL!) and because sometimes my mind wanders, I listen to the same section over and over before moving on.  

I find this really helpful.  You mentioned scary parts ahead....oh boy, for me the WORST part of the Book of Mormon is Moroni.  Mormon writes this letter to Moroni detailing the horrors, I mean that literally, of the end of the Nephites.  I listened to that ONCE and I was like, "Sorry, Mormon, but I can't listen to that again."  How did I never notice how awful that is?  

Oh a happier note....I feel the Spirit more abundantly in my life.  Sometimes while I'm reading new ideas about the scriptures come to me.  Other times I just feel it later in the day when I am working with my children, or helping a friend.  Pres. Nelson in his talk about where we would be without the Book of Mormon said we should feel as if we don't want to go a day without reading it.  I feel that way now.  I don't want to miss out on feeling the Spirit in my daily life!

In the past, during a difficult (understatement) time of my life, the New Testament was my rock!   I hope to someday love the Old Testament too....  One book at a time.  :)  

I listened to scripture on my commute and at the gym.  When I went back around to do it again, I’ve found my mind wanders.  I’m going to try paper scriptures this time around.  

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, Grunt said:

I listened to scripture on my commute and at the gym.  When I went back around to do it again, I’ve found my mind wanders.  I’m going to try paper scriptures this time around.  

I've just started my second time, so it's possible I might run into the same issue.  Time will tell.   :)   Whatever works and keeps in in the Word, right?  

27 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I've just started my second time, so it's possible I might run into the same issue.  Time will tell.   :)   Whatever works and keeps in in the Word, right?  

Absolutely.  I’m sure there is benefit to just having it on, whether I’m intently paying attention or not.  

12 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Hi! What scriptures are you reading? I am reading the Book of Mormon with the help of the Seminary manual. Trembling because I know that some scary parts are coming!

A friend of mine talked about reading the scriptures backwards and on a separate occasion, rewriting the scriptures as you read them. Im reading it backwards and rewriting it as I go.

In also studying “The Miracle of Forgiveness”, “Revelation On context” Manual and various BYU speeches when I’m cleaning or driving or any other monotonous activity

13 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Hi! What scriptures are you reading? I am reading the Book of Mormon with the help of the Seminary manual. Trembling because I know that some scary parts are coming!

The Book of Mormon (this makes about 120th+ time cover-to-cover) and Old Testament (probably 20th+ time cover-to-cover). I read the Book of Mormon daily and the other standard works on the four-year cycle. Not bragging, just keeps me out of trouble (not as much as you might expect!)... :)

• 2 weeks later...