Attended L.D.S. temple two weeks ago.....

DennisTate

and I am truly impressed as I have read about twenty or more chapters of Gospel Principles.  

I really like the following statement for many reasons:

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-41-the-postmortal-spirit-world?lang=eng

The spirits are classified according to the purity of their lives and their obedience to the will of the Lord while on earth. The righteous and the wicked are separated (see 1 Nephi 15:28–30), but the spirits may progress as they learn gospel principles and live in accordance with them. The spirits in paradise can teach the spirits in prison (see D&C 138).

It is a wonderful place! The Gospel Principles manual has a lot to offer in terms of learning the basics of the LDS religion. If you'd like to learn more, you can find missionaries in your region that can help walk you through those basics via lessons and answer any questions/thoughts you might have along the way! 

https://www.mormon.org/missionaries

1 hour ago, VelvetShadow said:

I'll have to get a copy of it, I'm just learning too, I'm reading The Book of Mormon but I don't have any other mormon books, I shall definitely order this one

If you have a smart phone, you can download an app called “Gospel Library” for free and it has every book, manual, magazine, and devotional put out by the church.

9 minutes ago, Fether said:

If you have a smart phone, you can download an app called “Gospel Library” for free and it has every book, manual, magazine, and devotional put out by the church.

@VelvetShadow, Just prepare to be overwhelmed by the number of books / items available (and by the efficiency of their data storage - I still can't figure out how they cram that much data into that small of a database - I've hacked it to add page numbers to one of the manuals that didn't have page numbers, and really, it ought to be bigger than it is).

Welcome, @DennisTate!

26 minutes ago, zil said:

I've hacked it to add page numbers to one of the manuals that didn't have page numbers.

Is this hacking in which you speak of in the post segment in which I have quoted if you  typing at about 25 minutes ago as of 6:12 am pacific daylight time in the forum thread titled “Attended L.D.S. temple two weeks ago.....” found in the General discussion section (extra descriptions so we can avoid the miscommunication as found in previous threads ;) ) a sin?

2 minutes ago, Fether said:

Is this hacking in which you speak of in the post segment in which I have quoted if you  typing at about 25 minutes ago as of 6:12 am pacific daylight time in the forum thread titled “Attended L.D.S. temple two weeks ago.....” found in the General discussion section (extra descriptions so we can avoid the miscommunication as found in previous threads ;) ) a sin?

No, it was just magnifying my data.

2 hours ago, VelvetShadow said:

I'll have to get a copy of it, I'm just learning too, I'm reading The Book of Mormon but I don't have any other mormon books, I shall definitely order this one

Dear @VelvetShadow There is a free app called Gospel Library. If you download, you will find most manuals. If there is a specific manual that you would like, let us know and we will send a link. So glad that you are here! 

17 hours ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

It is a wonderful place! The Gospel Principles manual has a lot to offer in terms of learning the basics of the LDS religion. If you'd like to learn more, you can find missionaries in your region that can help walk you through those basics via lessons and answer any questions/thoughts you might have along the way! 

https://www.mormon.org/missionaries

Yes..... I met with two local elders two times already.  

I attended a couple of times back in the 1990's so I already knew that the L.D.S. church

is the most accepting of modern near death experience accounts of any Christian church that I know of.  

I believe it was because of the book by Ms.  Bettie J. Eadie that I decided to attend back in the 1990's.  

I personally have studied NDE's a lot since 1990 and I think that they are the most likely fulfillment of 

this promise that I can think of.  

These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.

12 hours ago, VelvetShadow said:

I am sure glad that there is an online version of it available as well.......

I have already made use of this in another forum:

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles?lang=eng

9 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

@DennisTate Here is an electronic copy of the GP manual. If you attend church, they probably have a hard copy.

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles?lang=eng

Thank you.... yes I had found that one!

Here is another fascinating statement that I ran into in that book:

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-6-the-fall-of-adam-and-eve?lang=eng

Adam and Eve were among our Father’s noblest children. In the spirit world Adam was called Michael the archangel (see D&C 27:11; Jude 1:9). He was chosen by our Heavenly Father to lead the righteous in the battle against Satan (see Revelation 12:7–9). Adam and Eve were foreordained to become our first parents. The Lord promised Adam great blessings: “I have set thee to be at the head; a multitude of nations shall come of thee, and thou art a prince over them forever” (D&C 107:55).

Our pre-existence is a critical idea to understand... .and it is great to see this dealt with so plainly and clearly.  

On July 2, 2018 at 7:07 PM, DennisTate said:

and I am truly impressed as I have read about twenty or more chapters of Gospel Principles.  

I really like the following statement for many reasons:

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-41-the-postmortal-spirit-world?lang=eng

I have visited many Temples, in the U.S., and abroad. Each time I have felt the Holy Spirit in such wonderful ways. Over the years I have debated with anti-Mormons who claim that it is all manufactured experiences, or that our Temples are just used as a "control mechanism", to "keep us in line". I have spoken with former members who beliece that they were just deceived, and former members who admit to having Spiritual experiences, while in the Temple. The truth is the experience is not only being in such a place, but the place the Temple has within our lives. Like any place of worship, we bring with us the baggage (be it heavy or light) from our own life's experience. I remember once going to a Synagogue to do an inspection for my job, while working for the City of Atlanta. When I walked in the front door there was a family there with their son who was meeting with his Rabbi. Upon entering, I felt the Holy Spirit in a powerful way, I was not surprised, but I was intrigued at the experience. I remember the scripture from the New Testament come to mind, "Wherever two or more are gathered in my name, I will be their also". The interesting thing is this scripture applies to Jesus Christ I thought, and with that thought I was reminded of Christ's intercessory prayer. In this prayer he speaks of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost as one, and those who are believers as one, one with one another, and one with God. 

It it clear, that the light of Christ dwells with all, even though all may not clearly understand the nature of God, and the roe that Jesus Christ plays in their knowledge of "Good and Evil". It is a light that shines brightly within some people, and different Faiths. Or it shines dimly within others due to unrepentant sins, or incorrect teaching. Also sadly, not at all to those who have snuffed it out through rebellion, when God "turns them over to a reprobate mind". I have learned that we can carry it within our own Temple, "ourselves", which can make the Temple experience so much more powerful. Or when beaten down by life, we can rediscover it in our Sacrament meetings, and our trips to the Temple building. Either way, it is a wondrous place to pear beyond the veil within our hearts and mind, and see the face of God. So, I am so glad you have had, and will continue to have these wonderful bursts of light that come from the word of God, and the physical blessing of a Temple to attend, and re-attend. 

On 7/10/2018 at 6:24 PM, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

I have visited many Temples, in the U.S., and abroad. Each time I have felt the Holy Spirit in such wonderful ways. Over the years I have debated with anti-Mormons who claim that it is all manufactured experiences, or that our Temples are just used as a "control mechanism", to "keep us in line". I have spoken with former members who beliece that they were just deceived, and former members who admit to having Spiritual experiences, while in the Temple. The truth is the experience is not only being in such a place, but the place the Temple has within our lives. Like any place of worship, we bring with us the baggage (be it heavy or light) from our own life's experience. I remember once going to a Synagogue to do an inspection for my job, while working for the City of Atlanta. When I walked in the front door there was a family there with their son who was meeting with his Rabbi. Upon entering, I felt the Holy Spirit in a powerful way, I was not surprised, but I was intrigued at the experience. I remember the scripture from the New Testament come to mind, "Wherever two or more are gathered in my name, I will be their also". The interesting thing is this scripture applies to Jesus Christ I thought, and with that thought I was reminded of Christ's intercessory prayer. In this prayer he speaks of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost as one, and those who are believers as one, one with one another, and one with God. 

It it clear, that the light of Christ dwells with all, even though all may not clearly understand the nature of God, and the roe that Jesus Christ plays in their knowledge of "Good and Evil". It is a light that shines brightly within some people, and different Faiths. Or it shines dimly within others due to unrepentant sins, or incorrect teaching. Also sadly, not at all to those who have snuffed it out through rebellion, when God "turns them over to a reprobate mind". I have learned that we can carry it within our own Temple, "ourselves", which can make the Temple experience so much more powerful. Or when beaten down by life, we can rediscover it in our Sacrament meetings, and our trips to the Temple building. Either way, it is a wondrous place to pear beyond the veil within our hearts and mind, and see the face of God. So, I am so glad you have had, and will continue to have these wonderful bursts of light that come from the word of God, and the physical blessing of a Temple to attend, and re-attend. 

Wow!!!!!

You have just answered one of the major question that I do have about the L.D.S. church.......

Like you.... I also believe that the Holy Spirit is leading people from many faiths...... and from many denominations of Christianity.......

for years and even decades before they come to full fledged conversion.  

I know that I could not become a member of another church if I was expected to believe that they were the only church in which there were people who

have and are led by the Holy Spirit!

8 minutes ago, DennisTate said:

Wow!!!!!

You have just answered one of the major question that I do have about the L.D.S. church.......

Like you.... I also believe that the Holy Spirit is leading people from many faiths...... and from many denominations of Christianity.......

for years and even decades before they come to full fledged conversion.  

I know that I could not become a member of another church if I was expected to believe that they were the only church in which there were people who

have and are led by the Holy Spirit!

LDS believe that the Spirit testifies of that which is good, and inspires many people (LDS and non).  There is MUCH good in many faiths, and good is always good, wherever it is found.  Now, that being said, LDS also believe that Christ has one church on this earth that is 100% His, and that's the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.   Other churches... while there is much much good, there's also much disagreement and there can only be one pure Truth.

So for an example: Bob is raised atheist discovers Christ is a Baptist church, that's great!  Christ is great and there's many other great things about the Baptist church.  The Spirit can indeed testify to Bob that Christ is the Savior and the Truthfulness of the Bible-- that's Truth!  But the Baptist church doesn't have all Truth, nor does it have Christ's authority as His one true church.  So the hope is that Bob eventually embraces more and more Truth and Christ's one church.  Of course, this may not happen until after Bob's mortal death, which God generously prepared a way for it to happen still. 

Edited by Jane_Doe

7 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

LDS believe that the Spirit testifies of that which is good, and inspires many people (LDS and non).  There is MUCH good in many faiths, and good is always good, wherever it is found.  Now, that being said, LDS also believe that Christ has one church on this earth that is 100% His, and that's the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.   Other churches... while there is much much good, there's also much disagreement and there can only be one pure Truth.

So for an example: Bob is raised atheist discovers Christ is a Baptist church, that's great!  Christ is great and there's many other great things about the Baptist church.  The Spirit can indeed testify to Bob that Christ is the Savior and the Truthfulness of the Bible-- that's Truth!  But the Baptist church doesn't have all Truth, nor does it have Christ's authority as His one true church.  So the hope is that Bob eventually embraces more and more Truth and Christ's one church.  Of course, this may not happen until after Bob's mortal death, which God generously prepared a way for it to happen still. 

This is also impressive..... because I also believe that people can come to salvation after their deaths.  

Here is what was shown to former Atheist and near death experience Howard Storm Ph. D. about events behind the scenes during the Holocaust of the Nazi era.

Howard Storm Ph. 😧

"I asked how God could let the Holocaust of World War II happen. We were transported to a railway station as a long train of freight cars was being unloaded of its human cargo. The guards were screaming and beating the people into submission. The people were Jewish men, women, and children. Exhausted from hunger and thirst, they were totally disoriented from the ordeal of being rounded up and sent on a long journey to an unknown destination. They believed that they were going to work camps, and that their submission to the brutality of the guards was the only way to survive.

We went to the area where the selection process was taking place and heard the guards talking about "the Angel Maker." We went to the place the guards were referring to as "the Angel Maker," which was a series of ovens. I saw piles of naked corpses being loaded into the ovens, and I began to cry. Jesus said to me, "These are the people God loves." Then he said, "Look up." Rising out of the smoke of the chimneys, I saw hundreds of people being met by thousands of angels taking them up into the sky. There was great joy in the faces of the people, and there appeared to be no trace of a memory of the horrendous suffering they had just endured. How ironic that the guards sarcastically called the ovens "the Angel Maker."

I asked how God could allow this to happen. They told me that this was not God's will. This was an abomination to God. God wants this never to happen again. This was the sacrifice of an innocent people to whom God had given the law to be an example, a light, to the rest of the world. This Holocaust was breaking God's heart. The anguish that Jesus was suffering at the slaughter of his people was too much for me to bear and I begged that we leave this place. I will never forget this: his anguish at this horror and what it represents. This was one of the low points in human history."

I asked, Why does God let things like this happen? They told me that God was very unhappy with the course of human history and was going to intervene to change the world. God had watched us sink to depths of depravity and cruelty at the very time that he was giving us the instruments to make the world a godlier world. God had intervened in the world many times before, but this time God was going to change the course of human events." (Howard Storm, My Descent Into Death, page 42,43)

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2018 at 9:26 AM, Fether said:

I have pretty well decided that the reason why Messiah Yeshua - Jesus led me to attend the local L.D.S. ward is so that

I could begin to assist some disfellowshipped L.D. S. to return.......

or those who left in anger.  

I would be shooting myself in the foot if I were to get baptized as L.D.S. myself.......

it would make it very difficult to initiate a conversation with them....... if I was all the way L.D.S.......

being able to introduce myself as a Hebraic Roots Universalist Christian Mystic......

leaves the door somewhat open.  

My wife is Pentecostal...... so unless she went L.D.S. herself.... (which is not likely at all)... it just would not be a

good decision for me within my set of circumstances.  

I am one of those people who is glad that I was a member of the Worldwide Church of God for all those years.....

I learned a lot from everybody there.... I am not somebody who went all bitter and angry afterwards.....

and I know that I am not the worst at assisting others to rethink the reasons why they left a church.

Oh... you will want to research the near death experience account of Sharon Milliman.... it verifies some pretty heavy 

L.D.S. doctrine.......... no kidding..... The important part is after the 33 or 35 minute mark.......

1 hour ago, DennisTate said:

being able to introduce myself as a Hebraic Roots Universalist Christian Mystic......

leaves the door somewhat open.  

My wife is Pentecostal...... so unless she went L.D.S. herself.... (which is not likely at all)... it just would not be a

good decision for me within my set of circumstances.  

I'm an LDS lady married to an Evangelical dude.  We have a fantastic marriage and relationship.  

9 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

I'm an LDS lady married to an Evangelical dude.  We have a fantastic marriage and relationship.  

My wife is a gifted Pentecostal.......

I was feeling down yesterday and she prayed for me for about a half a hour in tongues........

I was deeply moved and impressed. 

8 minutes ago, DennisTate said:

I was feeling down yesterday and she prayed for me for about a half a hour in tongues........

I was deeply moved and impressed. 

Wow - I've never had the honor.  I've always been grateful for the prayers of others, whether they're members of my church or not.  Going in to surgery one time, I had a random assortment of Christians offering to pray for me, and a spiritualist and sort of undefined gaia-earth-animal-spirit believing person offering to do whatever they do, in my behalf.  I said 'the more the merrier' and gratefully accepted.  It's nice to be cared about by folks - I don't have to care about who is more right and less right. 

Hearing someone pray for me in tongues?  That would be very cool.

Our church does have some experience with tongues, much of it from the Kirtland temple dedication.  Our spin on it, is that if God is having us use that method of communication, it is for His purposes, and knowledge will be communicated.  Meaning, if someone speaks in tongues, someone else will be there with the gift of interpretation of tongues, who will receive the information.

These days, we figure the gift of tongues is what helps our missionaries learn new languages in 6 weeks before heading out into the mission field. 

19 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Wow - I've never had the honor.  I've always been grateful for the prayers of others, whether they're members of my church or not.  Going in to surgery one time, I had a random assortment of Christians offering to pray for me, and a spiritualist and sort of undefined gaia-earth-animal-spirit believing person offering to do whatever they do, in my behalf.  I said 'the more the merrier' and gratefully accepted.  It's nice to be cared about by folks - I don't have to care about who is more right and less right. 

Hearing someone pray for me in tongues?  That would be very cool.

Our church does have some experience with tongues, much of it from the Kirtland temple dedication.  Our spin on it, is that if God is having us use that method of communication, it is for His purposes, and knowledge will be communicated.  Meaning, if someone speaks in tongues, someone else will be there with the gift of interpretation of tongues, who will receive the information.

These days, we figure the gift of tongues is what helps our missionaries learn new languages in 6 weeks before heading out into the mission field. 

That was the same idea that I was taught about tongues in the Worldwide Church of God.  

But now that I have seen it..... I am expecting more and more examples of this breaking out as we get closer to

the Era of Messiah.  I have never spoken in tongues myself though...... not yet anyway.