Ministering Assignments

zil

Has your ward (either EQ or RS) removed all ministering assignments, dissolved companionships, and instructed members to go minister and report needs back to the relevant leader(s)?

Just wondering if this has been done anywhere else - or if anyone else has the impression (based on announced changes) that this is what should be done.

(Our EQ have done this, and others in the stake have reported receiving instruction from the stake which at least implies this is what should be done.)

Every person should be assigned a family (even a single individual is a family). The only people that are not supposed to have ministering assignments are: Stake Presidencies and bishops. The high councilors, as directed by the stake president may or may not have ministering assignments.

Ministering is the combination of both assignments and going out and ministering. If a ward is dissolving all companionships (no assignments given) they aren't following the guidelines provided by the brethren.  Here are some additional answers to questions:

1) "ministering interview in which a companion is also present." If a ministering interview requires the companion, who is the companion ministering to?

2)  In answer to the following question, "How do members receive their ministering assignment?" Leaders meet with ministering brothers and sisters—preferably as companionships—to share their assignments with them and to counsel about the strengths, needs, and challenges of those to whom they minister. This conversation could take place in a ministering interview (see question 20, below) or whenever needed.

I have heard of quorums and relief socieites telling people to go out and minister until they receive their assignments. Unless the brethren have released something new that is not yet public, a testing ward, this apparently is the wrong way to go about the new ministering approach.

7 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

Every person should be assigned a family (even a single individual is a family). The only people that are not supposed to have ministering assignments are: Stake Presidencies and bishops. The high councilors, as directed by the stake president may or may not have ministering assignments.

Ministering is the combination of both assignments and going out and ministering. If a ward is dissolving all companionships (no assignments given) they aren't following the guidelines provided by the brethren.  Here are some additional answers to questions:

1) "ministering interview in which a companion is also present." If a ministering interview requires the companion, who is the companion ministering to?

2)  In answer to the following question, "How do members receive their ministering assignment?" Leaders meet with ministering brothers and sisters—preferably as companionships—to share their assignments with them and to counsel about the strengths, needs, and challenges of those to whom they minister. This conversation could take place in a ministering interview (see question 20, below) or whenever needed.

I have heard of quorums and relief socieites telling people to go out and minister until they receive their assignments. Unless the brethren have released something new that is not yet public, a testing ward, this apparently is the wrong way to go about the new ministering approach. 

Thanks, @Anddenex.  I'm more than familiar with the instructions given (which is partly why I'm asking).  Just wondering if anyone else out there is doing this or getting the impression it ought to be done.

Our ward is being EXTREMELY thoughtful on how to get things done to best meet what folks want to receive and want to give in the way of ministering.  We've talked a lot about it in 3rd hour like "how do you folks want this to look like?"  Comments included things like "I want an older lady who I can look for guidance", "I like visiting during kid playdates at the park- a peer I can relate to", "I'm an older lady, my kids are all moved away, and I need to feel needed."   

Upon hearing all these comments, the RS leadership said-- "hold on, let us get paper and pass them out-- please write your responses down and your name, so we can best serve you and have you serve."  Someone pointed out that many of the sisters were not in the RS classroom that hour, and the RS leadership said "you're right, we'll figure out questions here, hear your responses in class, and then send out questions to all the sisters in the ward-- including the YW."  And the email survey went that afternoon and linked on the FB page.   It (and the followup one afterwards) asked need/want, logistics, timing of visits, what we've found works best (including for less actives), etc.  

I feel like the RS leadership is being SUPERB in their listening and considering of things to do what best works for us as individuals and a ward.  I'm really floored with them actually.   They're still making their decision, consulting with the men's leadership etc, but I have no doubt they'll make an excellent choice.  People are actually quite excited about it.

Oh yeah, what are we doing in the meantime.  The order was "until we make a ministering decision, please visit the same ladies you did during VT and minister to them."

2 minutes ago, zil said:

Thanks, @Anddenex.  I'm more than familiar with the instructions given (which is partly why I'm asking).  Just wondering if anyone else out there is doing this or getting the impression it ought to be done.

I knew you were familiar :)

The stakes in my area are not doing this as to my knowledge -- I can only 100% specify our stake is not. :)

1 hour ago, zil said:

Has your ward (either EQ or RS) removed all ministering assignments, dissolved companionships, and instructed members to go minister and report needs back to the relevant leader(s)?

This sounds awful. My wife and I just barely moved to Vegas and I worry that we will never see anyone if we are just waiting for someone to choose by their own choice to come visit us. I never got the impression that there were going to be no assignments, in fact a big part of it is being accountable to the families in your stewardship.

Apparently it's been working really well for the EQ in my ward (per the EQP).  I should note that it's not that there's no accountability and no assignment will ever be made - interviews are happening, ad hoc assignments are being made.

I would just like to get as broad a perspective as I can before a couple of meetings that are scheduled next Sunday and Tuesday.  I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer.  Hopefully more will too.

Edited by zil

2 minutes ago, zil said:

Apparently it's been working really well for the EQ in my ward (per the EQP).  I should note that it's not that there's no accountability and no assignment will ever be made - interviews are happening, ad hoc assignments are being made.

I would just like to get as broad a perspective as I can before a couple of meetings that are scheduled next Sunday and Tuesday.  I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer.  Hopefully more will too.

I will say this though. I feel as though every talk I have heard have discussed ministering as something you do with everyone as if there were no assignments.

30 minutes ago, Fether said:

I will say this though. I feel as though every talk I have heard have discussed ministering as something you do with everyone as if there were no assignments.

Or, from my perspective, as if there were no companionships (e.g. a lot of examples would not logistically work if you had to delay to coordinate with a companion).  (ETA: Or the example never included a companion at all - it was explicitly one-to-one.)

Edited by zil

12 minutes ago, zil said:

Or, from my perspective, as if there were no companionships (e.g. a lot of examples would not logistically work if you had to delay to coordinate with a companion).  (ETA: Or the example never included a companion at all - it was explicitly one-to-one.)

I feel like almost f the spiritual ministering that we can do is best done one on one, not two on one. 

1 hour ago, zil said:

Apparently it's been working really well for the EQ in my ward (per the EQP). 

I, personally, would have caution with any statement of "working really well" that is in direct opposition to what we have been counseled by the brethren. True, things may go well, but not the way the Lord intended and we will probably loose out on something "unknown" when we choose to do our own thing.

3 hours ago, Anddenex said:

"The only people that are not supposed to have ministering assignments are: Stake Presidencies and bishops. The high councilors, as directed by the stake president may or may not have ministering assignments."

Just curious, but do you have a reference for this? The leadership in our wards and Stake all have ministering assignments.

53 minutes ago, scottyg said:

Just curious, but do you have a reference for this? The leadership in our wards and Stake all have ministering assignments.

As to my knowledge, this will be in the new Handbook or provided as they have done in the past through letters sent to stakes. This was the training we received during June (might have been during May, end of May) Stake PEC. However, I am looking for actual release from the brethren.

EDIT: If a stake president or bishop wants to have an assigned family, they can, but according to training no longer like it was with Home Teaching.

Edited by Anddenex

5 hours ago, Anddenex said:

Here are the exceptions to ministering assignments from a May 11, 2018 Notice from the Priesthood and Family Department to General Authorities; General Auxiliary Presidencies; Area Seventies; Stake, Mission, and District Presidents; Bishops and Branch Presidents; Elders Quorum Presidencies; Stake and Ward Relief Society, Young Men, and Young Women Presidencies (Subject: Additional Frequently Asked Questions about Ministering with Strengthened Melchizedek Priesthood Quorums and Relief Societies"):

"Because stake presidencies and bishoprics are responsible for all members of the stake or ward, these brethren are not generally assigned as ministering brothers to specific individuals or families. High councilors and functioning patriarchs may be assigned, based on local circumstances, as determined by the stake president. If they are assigned, it would be by their elders quorum president under the direction of the bishop of their wards."

A month ago, I moved from a branch where communications slipped through the cracks instead of getting to me, so I have no idea how RS and EQ were handling the change.  I feel like it had been decided to just have people minister to their HT/VT routes, but there were also a lot of families that moved out.  So I really honestly don't know if the offers of friends to help me move were because they were my friends or intentional ministering.

I haven't been active enough in my new ward to know.  (Of the five Sundays I've been here, I've only stayed past sacrament twice due to either other arrangements or illness.) 

I understand westill have specific households for whom we are responsible.  Although A bit off topic people in our Ward are having trouble Knowing what to call themselves.  Do we now call families and say "we are your ministers" or say "we have been assigned to minister to you?

16 hours ago, jdf135 said:

I understand westill have specific households for whom we are responsible.  Although A bit off topic people in our Ward are having trouble Knowing what to call themselves.  Do we now call families and say "we are your ministers" or say "we have been assigned to minister to you?

The title is "Ministers"; however, I think at times we make things more difficult than they are. If a person is sincere, has genuine care and love for those they are assigned to this is how I would approach (if I did not know the couple), "Hello Brother and Sister (insert name). I am Brother Anddenex, I have been assigned to watch over and care for your family. May I come over and get to know you both more?" If at the door, the ending would be, "May I come in and get to know you more?"

If we want to be formal, as the title is "Ministers" then we literally can say, "Hi Brother and Sister (insert name), my name is Anddenex and I have been assigned to minister to your family."

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

The title is "Ministers"; however, I think at times we make things more difficult than they are. If a person is sincere, has genuine care and love for those they are assigned to this is how I would approach (if I did not know the couple), "Hello Brother and Sister (insert name). I am Brother Anddenex, I have been assigned to watch over and care for your family. May I come over and get to know you both more?" If at the door, the ending would be, "May I come in and get to know you more?"

It'll work better if people think you have a genuine interest in them.

If you keep it , "Hi my name is Brother @Anddenex and I'm your minister. I'll be here for three months than I'll move on to someone else." I'd slam the door in your face. 

20 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

It'll work better if people think you have a genuine interest in them.

If you keep it , "Hi my name is Brother @Anddenex and I'm your minister. I'll be here for three months than I'll move on to someone else." I'd slam the door in your face. 

Why do you presume it is not a genuine interest? Christ's assignment is to every person... do you think he does not have an genuine interest in you... just because he was 'assigned' to you?

Take a moment to think about people you think are good friends... Chances are it started off with an completely arbitrary/random set of events that forced you to spend some time together.  Yes ministering assignment can seem totally arbitrary setup but as with all calling in the church it is what you do with it from there that really matters (aka magnifying) not the setup itself.

Instead people seem to want total strangers to be profoundly interested in them personally without giving them a chance to get to know them.  It is illogical, irrational and frankly totally stupid. Let them come, let them try, let them see who you are, learn who they are.... Then decide if they are worth trying to build a deeper friendship with them.  If not well you spent some time getting to know someone really quite different (not really a waste) and if it is you just got something awesome.

1 minute ago, estradling75 said:

people seem to want total strangers to be profoundly interested in them personally without giving them a chance to get to know them.  It is illogical, irrational and frankly totally stupid. Let them come, let them try, let them see who you are, learn who they are.... Then decide if they are worth trying to build a deeper friendship with them.  If not well you spent some time getting to know someone really quite different (not really a waste) and if it is you just got something awesome.

That.

Guest MormonGator
22 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

Why do you presume it is not a genuine interest? Christ's assignment is to every person... do you think he does not have an genuine interest in you... just because he was 'assigned' to you?

Then be robotic, go through the motions, make no effort to get to know them at all. Treat them strictly as numbers and just go out, do your job, and ignore them for the remaining 167 hours in the week. In fact, if they text you for anything, ignore them. You might want to kick their puppies while you visit them too. Or their toddlers. 

Take a moment to think about people you think are good friends...

I have no friends. 

It is illogical, irrational and frankly totally stupid.

Well I guess I'm "illogical, irrational, and frankly totally stupid." 

Edited by MormonGator