Against the Word of Wisdom?

zil

9 hours ago, warnerfranklin said:

The only thing I miss since becoming LDS is a nice hot cup of tea with lemon on a cold winter day. 

And don’t suggest herbal tea. That stuff taste like someone mowed their lawn and then bagged the clippings. 😉

Bah, I love a good cup of herbal tea, but then I live in So. Cali where we are currently enduring our 3rd week of straight 100's. I like iced peppermint tea, iced country peach passion, and iced berry zinger.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

16 minutes ago, curan said:

Spirit of the law or letter of the law?  Tea is tea. I drink herbal tea but I don't believe the WoW differentiates between herbal and other teas.

What about non-alcoholic beer or Flavored drink mixes?

I enjoyed Yerba Mate.

I've drank NA beer, and alcohol free wine.

Flavored drink mixes too.

I don't feel like any of those are a violation of my covenants. I don't feel like it's even pushing any sort of gray area imho.

WOW needs an update.  The coffee and tea thing needs to go away. Totally obsolete. There are a lot of recent studies extolling the virtues of coffee and even Consumer Reports expounded on its benefits recently.  Tea has also been found to be beneficial  

Kind of like the reasons for keeping Kosher are no longer valid, we need a new revelation IMNSHO.

1 hour ago, mrmarklin said:

WOW needs an update.  The coffee and tea thing needs to go away. Totally obsolete. There are a lot of recent studies extolling the virtues of coffee and even Consumer Reports expounded on its benefits recently.  Tea has also been found to be beneficial  

Kind of like the reasons for keeping Kosher are no longer valid, we need a new revelation IMNSHO.

Dear God,

You were wrong. That's really lame. Please get with the program, preferably sooner rather than later. The cool kids are mocking us.

Your humble servants,

Us.

How the heck does a joke about a tea-named ink morph into "You're making light of the WoW.", "Which loopholes to the WoW are OK?", and "God's revelations are outdated."?  Sigh.  Fortunately, I only have about .5mL left of this ink, so the clock is ticking on tea jokes.  I'll have to rate the remainder of my ink names for joke-safeness.

1 hour ago, zil said:

How the heck does a joke about a tea-named ink morph into "You're making light of the WoW.", "Which loopholes to the WoW are OK?", and "God's revelations are outdated."?  Sigh.  Fortunately, I only have about .5mL left of this ink, so the clock is ticking on tea jokes.  I'll have to rate the remainder of my ink names for joke-safeness.

There is a difficult lesson here - The internet is not like talking to other people gathered by other means.  On the internet - being yourself is not really being yourself.  Perhaps this may help you understand our general authorities a little better and why they must constituently be guarded - not just in what they say but how they present themselves.  And so it is that we get this very watered down version and carefully guarded words and actions from our brothers and sisters that serve in what the world sees as prestigious calling.  Perhaps you can also gain a little more insight into supporting and sustaining those that are called to serve - especially when something they say or do takes a unexpected turn.

I would like to tell you that I understand this principle very well and can be a great example to you in my own posts - but you and I both know better - even though I am acutely aware I constantly leak my particular personality and uniqueness in almost every post.  Then I am often domed founded where it all goes from there.  In this thread - what is sad is that very few understand that the Word of Wisdom is a covenant and not really a law - even though it specifically states so.  The associated law, to the world, is not so logical and appears to be unassociated.  This sort of goes back to something Jesus said - which was something like, "If you will do what I ask; you will know if what I ask of you comes from G-d or man."  Obviously there are those that judge the Word of Wisdom without having ever made or tried to understand the spirit of its covenant.

The Traveler

5 hours ago, zil said:

You've been on this forum long enough to know that when you bring up something as serious as the WoW, even in a joking manner, you are going to get a variety of responses.

M.

Guest MormonGator
Just now, askandanswer said:

The real sin here is the excessive use of fountain pens - any use is excessive.

The worst sin is being Australian. 

1 hour ago, zil said:

wisecrack.jpg.13d3352587909188520c751662b5d61a.jpg

I agree - my dear wife hates gender jokes.  I loved the old co-ed jokes like: Do you know the difference between a co-ed and a garbage can?

Answer: A garbage can gets taken out once a week.

If my wife finds out I posted this joke I will be sleeping on the sofa tonight.  I know it seems extreme but what is humorous to one can be hate speech to another.

The Traveler

3 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I loved the old co-ed jokes like: Do you know the difference between a co-ed and a garbage can?

Answer: A garbage can gets taken out once a week.

This is an old BYU joke. Note that this joke is not a criticism of the coeds.