Advantages of an iPhone or Android

gasecey

Guest Godless

Depends on what you're used to. I've been an Android user for years, but had to use an iPhone at a former job. To me, Android phones (which for me has always been Samsung Galaxy) are much easier to navigate and type on. I always got frustrated trying to use an iPhone, to the point that I used my personal phone whenever possible at that job. My wife recently got a free iPod Touch from work and got very frustrated trying to figure out how to use it. My personal opinion is that Android is more user-friendly for people who aren't familiar with either system, but I'm sure some iPhone users would beg to differ. 

5 hours ago, gasecey said:

Can you list some of the advantages of an iPhone or an Android phone ?

3 hours ago, Godless said:

Depends on what you're used to

54 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Depends on what you use in other areas of your daily life.  I love my iPhone and Apple products.  Seamless.

This is all true. I’ve only had one smart phone on my life and that is the one so have now. It is an iPhone. The rest of my family uses Samsungs and I can’t for the life of me navigate any of it.

from what I understand, the iPhone is somewhat of a nightmare for people who are very aware of what is going on within their phone and want to change and edit things without needing to download apps to do so. iPhone is also very picky as to who it shares its format with. iPhones are only compatible with other Apple products while all other brands tend to play nicely with each other.

Iphones are, however, VERY easy to learn. Every button looks the same. They are all little squares arranged in a square formation on the square screen. Everything you need is somewhere in one of those squares. Other phones have too many shaped buttons and features that are not squares. This is too confusing for me ;). I absolutely love apple and will likely never leave the brand.

BUT, all this being said... have any phone for a week and you will figure it out just fine. So don’t make “easy to learn” a decision factor. All phones are pretty easy to figure out.

Edited by Fether

Price and selection. Android.

I have a plan through Republic Wireless, and my monthly bill is $12. No data and I get internet via wifi.  Sometimes I don't have wifi, but not often. For those who want data, they have plans for $25 for 3G and $35 for 4G (price may have gone up, but not much).   So, the monthly charges are Waaaay cheaper.  The company piggy backs on Sprint, so that's your actual carrier, but cheaper than going directly through Sprint.

No contract. And you can change your plan any time, even just for a few days, so if I go on vacation, I can set my plan to 4G for a while, and then switch back when I am done.

Phone.  With my plan I pick a phone from several options from cheap to expensive.  I just upgrade my MotoX to a MotoG (latest) which is on the cheaper end, but still an awesome phone.  You pay up front, face value for the phone, because no contract.   But it's worth it.  When I transferred over, all I did was put in my number and it did the rest. Transferred everything from Google storage, including all my installed apps, contacts and pictures.  The OS is the same (well a little different with an upgrade) but familiar and totally compatible.   And I could have switched to any number of a dozen or more phones.  So you just have tons more options.

Apple is for people who want to impress, but it's not as good, and it's way more expensive.  You're paying for smugness.

11 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

Apple invented the Smart phone, and IMHO it's still the best.  Security is a little more refined.  More Apps are available.

Steve Jobs daily weather report is accurate.

Actually he stole the UI from Android, before Google bought them.  They had an opensource demo out for years before Apple's first iPhone.

12 minutes ago, bytebear said:

Actually he stole the UI from Android, before Google bought them.  They had an opensource demo out for years before Apple's first iPhone.

Sounds like Apple won the race to me ;)

3 minutes ago, Fether said:

Sounds like Apple won the race to me ;)

Not really.  Android was an open source project with a few phones out that used it, but no one really mainstream.  Google bought them, and essentially commercialized it releasing multiple main phone releases about a year after the first iPhone, but the UI was around at least 3 years before Apple even started designing their phone's UI.

On 7/11/2018 at 5:00 AM, gasecey said:

Can you list some of the advantages of an iPhone or an Android phone ?

Welcome, @gasecey!  As you can see, people get stupid over this.

Go to the store, ask to try out an iPhone - poke around, try an app, try changing the background, navigate a bit.  If the store won't let you do this, they should be smacked - find a friend and see if they'll let you try with their phone.

Then do the same with an Android phone.

If desired, do the same with a Windows phone.

Then pick the one that "felt" comfortable.

Apple is indeed the more expensive.  It is also the most restrictive.  Their restrictions ensure that neither you nor people who want to deliver apps for Apple can screw things up.  And it's not just the phone that's restrictive, it's also how your computer interacts with the phone (if you do that) - e.g. hope you like iTunes.

A manager here chose Apple because all his family use FaceTime and he wanted to as well.  (I have no idea whether this really requires everyone to have an Apple phone - don't much care.)  My boss decided he likes Apple better because it doesn't run as many things in the background.  Despite the fact that he's in IT, he declined to believe the truth that Apple just conceal the things running in the background (so users can't shoot themselves in the foot) whereas Android lets you see it all so that if you're smart, you can control your device better (and if you're stupid, you can shoot yourself in the foot).

Android is increasingly restrictive, but no where near as restrictive as Apple.  One reason I choose Android is that I can put a microSD card in it - this makes it fast and easy for me to remove my most critical data from the device.

I've never used a Windows phone.

Eons ago, a coworker of mine described it this way: If you just want your car to run, and don't want to be able to pop the hood and fiddle with the engine, pick Apple.  If you want to be able to fiddle under the hood, pick Windows (or, in the case of phones, Android).  I have found this to be true - the people who like Apple are the people who are content with what Apple offers and don't want to tweak (also the people who view it as a status symbol).  The people who like Android are the ones who either just don't like Apple, or who want to be able to fiddle under the hood.

I don't believe for a minute that there are more apps for Apple.  It's either equal or slightly in favor of Android (because it's far easier for someone to release an Android app than an Apple app).  At the end of the day, they're smart phones and they can do comparable things, just differently and with different apps.  So go try them and choose the one that fits your brain / style the best.

Oh, and at least for Android, the cellular service provider (always, I assume) customizes the phone, so what your Android will look like may depend greatly on the manufacturer of the phone and the cellular service provider.  I've seen some of the tablet manufacturers lock Android down worse than Apple to the point where it was practically unusable - and load it with Ad-Ware you can't remove (without rooting the device - an IT hacker thing) - so make sure you test things out with the cellular service provider, and consider the phone model itself.

I've always been somewhat partial to Samsung phones / tablets.

Edited by zil

I have used both:

Apple: PROS - easy to use, security only because no one hacks apple (what are you going to steal? Interior design ideas?) Fancy phone design, water proof up to a few feet. Sound quality is crisp and loud.

CONS: expensive for what you are really paying for hardware wise. Same phone over and over basically. 

Android: nice large screens, stylus on select models, processes faster than apple, cheaper for what you are getting hardware wise. Business appearance. Select models can be submerged further than apple if dropped in a pool. 

Cons: sound quality is horrible compared to apple. 

1 hour ago, zil said:

As you can see, people get stupid over this.

@gasecey

If we are all honest with ourselves... they are all great phones. They all tell time, make calls, have games, play music, go on the internet, have GPS, text, and look cool.

Guest MormonGator
35 minutes ago, Fether said:

@gasecey

If we are all honest with ourselves... they are all great phones. They all tell time, make calls, have games, play music, go on the internet, have GPS, text, and look cool.

Amen. It's amazing to me how far technology has come. 

I’ve always gone with Android for cost reasons; but my work has given/lent me an iPhone 7.  I find I can navigate either system equally well once I’m used to it.  I like the iPhone a lot, and maybe a shade more than my Android; but enough to justify the extra cost if I were the one paying for it.

The difference between Apple and Android is the difference between a Bundled Provider and an A La Carte provider.

Apple bundles everything under their name and brand and gives you what they think you want and need for one price.  Apple is really good at what they do so their small hand full of options work for most people.

If for whatever reason you want/need something different Apple is not going to give it too you.  But chances are you can find an Android option out there, because there are simply more options.  (Even up to building your own for more advanced users)

3 hours ago, estradling75 said:

The difference between Apple and Android is the difference between a Bundled Provider and an A La Carte provider.

It's very much like the difference between MacOS and Windows. I'm currently using a Mac, and yes, it is very nice in many ways. But despite its Microsoft baggage and the haterboyz who can't find anything good about it, Windows 10 is a solid OS. It's very usable, and unlike MacOS, it plays nice with most third-party add-ons. This appears to be a philosophy deeply baked into Apple: Do things our way, and everything will be nice. So if you're part of the collective, you think iTunes is just brilliant. Otherwise, you curse its very existence.

13 hours ago, bytebear said:

The real loser was Microsoft, who was too hung up on Windows comparability.

Time has proven this to be true. But Ballmer's overall idea was dead on target, even if his execution was ham-fisted. Tight integration between OSes was the holy grail. If not for the fiasco that was Windows 8, Windows Phone might have survived until today and perhaps even have gained a respectable market share.

Android phones come in all different varieties. You can get a super expensive cutting edge phone, or you can get a basic model, or anything in between.  I got a lower end model with a good camera.  With Apple you get what you get, and yes, cost is the driving factor for me, both in the hardware and the monthly plan.  I am saving at least $1000 a year by not going Apple.

On 7/12/2018 at 12:41 AM, Fether said:

This is all true. I’ve only had one smart phone on my life and that is the one so have now. It is an iPhone. The rest of my family uses Samsungs and I can’t for the life of me navigate any of it.

from what I understand, the iPhone is somewhat of a nightmare for people who are very aware of what is going on within their phone and want to change and edit things without needing to download apps to do so. iPhone is also very picky as to who it shares its format with. iPhones are only compatible with other Apple products while all other brands tend to play nicely with each other.

Iphones are, however, VERY easy to learn. Every button looks the same. They are all little squares arranged in a square formation on the square screen. Everything you need is somewhere in one of those squares. Other phones have too many shaped buttons and features that are not squares. This is too confusing for me ;). I absolutely love apple and will likely never leave the brand.

BUT, all this being said... have any phone for a week and you will figure it out just fine. So don’t make “easy to learn” a decision factor. All phones are pretty easy to figure out.

iPhone is really y picky  , this show that it does  good job in a data managemnt of the iPhone  device ,But that doesn't mean the iPhones are only compatible with Apple products , in fact , the iPhones are compatible with other different phone , (Android or Samsung ), but it is not easy , you just need some tools .