Advantages of an iPhone or Android

gasecey

14 hours ago, zil said:

Welcome, @gasecey!  As you can see, people get stupid over this.

Go to the store, ask to try out an iPhone - poke around, try an app, try changing the background, navigate a bit.  If the store won't let you do this, they should be smacked - find a friend and see if they'll let you try with their phone.

Then do the same with an Android phone.

If desired, do the same with a Windows phone.

Then pick the one that "felt" comfortable.

Apple is indeed the more expensive.  It is also the most restrictive.  Their restrictions ensure that neither you nor people who want to deliver apps for Apple can screw things up.  And it's not just the phone that's restrictive, it's also how your computer interacts with the phone (if you do that) - e.g. hope you like iTunes.

A manager here chose Apple because all his family use FaceTime and he wanted to as well.  (I have no idea whether this really requires everyone to have an Apple phone - don't much care.)  My boss decided he likes Apple better because it doesn't run as many things in the background.  Despite the fact that he's in IT, he declined to believe the truth that Apple just conceal the things running in the background (so users can't shoot themselves in the foot) whereas Android lets you see it all so that if you're smart, you can control your device better (and if you're stupid, you can shoot yourself in the foot).

Android is increasingly restrictive, but no where near as restrictive as Apple.  One reason I choose Android is that I can put a microSD card in it - this makes it fast and easy for me to remove my most critical data from the device.

I've never used a Windows phone.

Eons ago, a coworker of mine described it this way: If you just want your car to run, and don't want to be able to pop the hood and fiddle with the engine, pick Apple.  If you want to be able to fiddle under the hood, pick Windows (or, in the case of phones, Android).  I have found this to be true - the people who like Apple are the people who are content with what Apple offers and don't want to tweak (also the people who view it as a status symbol).  The people who like Android are the ones who either just don't like Apple, or who want to be able to fiddle under the hood.

I don't believe for a minute that there are more apps for Apple.  It's either equal or slightly in favor of Android (because it's far easier for someone to release an Android app than an Apple app).  At the end of the day, they're smart phones and they can do comparable things, just differently and with different apps.  So go try them and choose the one that fits your brain / style the best.

In some ways , Android will be more convenient than iPhone, maybe that is one of the reasons people choose it , But who can deny that iPhone is safer than Android ,I'm talking about data management.

9 hours ago, gasecey said:

But who can deny that iPhone is safer than Android ,I'm talking about data management. 

I don't know of any compelling evidence for this (which is not the same as saying there isn't, but people are so dogmatic about their phone OS that I wouldn't trust just any source on this).  Regardless, I'm sure it's possible to use either one in an unsafe way, and to use both in safe ways.  Perhaps this is one of the areas where Apple protects you from yourself where Android allows you to shoot yourself in the foot.

2 hours ago, zil said:

I don't know of any compelling evidence for this (which is not the same as saying there isn't, but people are so dogmatic about their phone OS that I wouldn't trust just any source on this).  Regardless, I'm sure it's possible to use either one in an unsafe way, and to use both in safe ways.  Perhaps this is one of the areas where Apple protects you from yourself where Android allows you to shoot yourself in the foot.

The difference between Apple and Not-Apple (which is also the difference between Jobs and Wozniak, which is why they were always in conflict in the early days of Apple) become dogmatic because the difference is not this-feature-versus-this-feature, etc.  The difference is the PARADIGM from which all development rests upon.

The Apple dogma is that an Apple Device is an Appliance.  So, take for instance your Refrigerator.  The Refrigerator is an Appliance.  That means that the ice-maker, the water-dispenser, the temperature controller, even the door-handle are seamless parts of that Refrigerator.  So, when the ice-maker does not work or the door-handle does not work, the REFRIGERATOR is broken.  So, you don't call the ice-maker guy to fix the ice-maker, and the door-handle guy to fix the door-handle.  You call the Refrigerator Company to fix the Refrigerator because they take full responsibility for the entire thing.  And because they take responsibility for the entire thing, they also try to control everything that goes into an Apple Product.

When it comes to which is better... there's nothing in existence that can beat the Apple OS - whether it's MacOS or iOS.  And this is a by-product of the paradigm.  The OS is the engine that makes everything else possible.  So, the paradigm thinks of everything they could possibly think of that they want on the device then builds the OS to support it.  So when Jobs says - "Why do you need a touch pen when you have fingers?", they have to build an OS that can support a sensitive/responsive finger-swipe.

When it comes to user-experience, human-computer interactions do not "see" the engine.  They only see the interface.  So the only thing users can compare with Apple versus Non-Apple is what is on the surface - this screen is bigger, this camera takes better pictures, this game loads faster, etc.  For us Apple nerds, we notice the ginormous difference between an Apple finger-swipe experience versus an Android finger-swipe experience (especially the super clunky Blackberry finger-swipe experience).  So non-Apple-nerd people don't understand it because swiping an Android gives the same functionality as swiping an iPhone - it gets you where you're going.

On 7/13/2018 at 11:09 AM, gasecey said:

iPhone is really picky  , this show that it does  good job in a data managemnt of the iPhone  device ,But that doesn't mean the iPhones are only compatible with Apple products , in fact , the iPhones are compatible with other different phone , (Android or Samsung ), but it is not easy , you'd better read this tutorial

Jobs is gone, and apple is changing...........

I have synced my iPhone with Samsung before , i did that with the help of third-party tools , Because apple is really strict with data management, only in this way can it break its permissions .I love my iphone,

Edited by vppasy

Things I like about android

1) Easy to customize

2) Open environment

3) Freely transfer files

4) Easily set your ring tone to any song you have.

5) Lower price

6) Expandible memory

7) Connects to any computer

😎 Uses standard connectors

9) Feels open and inviting

10)  buy as much phone as you like.  If you don't want to have all the bells and whistles, then you can opt of a much stripped down version.

11) Not arrogant

12) Less adds.

Things I like about apple.

1) good hardware.  For android, some is excellent, some is not.  That said, I think my Oneplus 6 android phone has all the features I want at a price point far less than apple.

But with apple, you will get pretty good hardware.

On 7/13/2018 at 11:05 PM, anatess2 said:

When it comes to which is better... there's nothing in existence that can beat the Apple OS - whether it's MacOS or iOS.  And this is a by-product of the paradigm.  The OS is the engine that makes everything else possible.  So, the paradigm thinks of everything they could possibly think of that they want on the device then builds the OS to support it.  So when Jobs says - "Why do you need a touch pen when you have fingers?", they have to build an OS that can support a sensitive/responsive finger-swipe.

Jobs led apple to the top...... 

21 hours ago, vppasy said:

Jobs is gone, and apple is changing...........

I have synced my iPhone with Samsung before , i did that with the help of third-party tools , Because apple is really strict with data management, only in this way can it break its permissions .I love my iphone,

Congratulations on breaking it.

My wife's phone is and iPhone.  Mine is an android.   My wife likes all the features of the iPhone.  For me, because of my work, it is critical for me to be able to create a stable long term hot spot for functions I must perform.  The iPhone just does not cut it.  It is also interesting that when my wife needs to generate a hot spot for her work she wants my phone when she needs remote access to inventory and credit card processing.  Whenever possible she wants to use my phone's hot spot just because it is more reliable - but she will not give up her iPhone.  The translation app for android works better than iPhone for those that travel to places where they do not speak the local language.

One last thing - in general I prefer open source technology (among other things) over protected single source technology.  From a religious standpoint - I do not like doing business based on hidden exclusive secrets.  I like doing things in the open light of day over secret undercover of night kind of thing.

The Traveler

4 hours ago, Traveler said:

My wife's phone is and iPhone.  Mine is an android.   My wife likes all the features of the iPhone.  For me, because of my work, it is critical for me to be able to create a stable long term hot spot for functions I must perform.  The iPhone just does not cut it.  It is also interesting that when my wife needs to generate a hot spot for her work she wants my phone when she needs remote access to inventory and credit card processing.  Whenever possible she wants to use my phone's hot spot just because it is more reliable - but she will not give up her iPhone.  The translation app for android works better than iPhone for those that travel to places where they do not speak the local language.

One last thing - in general I prefer open source technology (among other things) over protected single source technology.  From a religious standpoint - I do not like doing business based on hidden exclusive secrets.  I like doing things in the open light of day over secret undercover of night kind of thing.

The Traveler

I can do (and have done) all my work through my iPhone.  There are no "hidden exclusive secrets" if you want to develop on an iOS.  You do need to pass iOS established standards.

Edited by anatess2

For me the difference is freedom. With Apple I'm using what they sold me and I can't change it in any meaningful way.

Android on the other hand is an open source project. (Well google throws their own stuff on top but you can get Android in it's pure form, it's called Android Open Source Project, all Android devices are derived from this same base) You can actually download the source code and modify it to suit your needs. Android itself has a Linux kernel at it's heart. Which is another open source project which has launched a revolution in computing. (Your router likely has a Linux kernel beating inside it, your smart TV too, some cars are starting to build custom Linux based os's for their smarter cars). The reason open source projects are cool is because it gives developers the freedom to develop software and modify it for specific use cases that a proprietary project like Windows or iOS can't ever match.

So for me the Android vs iOS debate truly boils down I don't like being trapped in apples cage, no matter how well they polish it.

Edited by jerome1232

11 hours ago, jerome1232 said:

For me the difference is freedom. With Apple I'm using what they sold me and I can't change it in any meaningful way.

Dunno why people think this... you can develop on an Apple device just as much as any other device.   Of course, if you don't know what you're doing then you can't.  That's not a bad idea.

Edited by anatess2

14 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Dunno why people think this... you can develop on an Apple device just as much as any other device.   Of course, if you don't know what you're doing then you can't.  That's not a bad idea.

He doesn't just mean develop on the device - he means change the OS.

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

People think this because Apple discourages development on its mobile platform by its logo requirements and distribution model. This is an Apple philosophy that is baked into the company, true at least since the first Macintoshes came out in 1984: Make the device a joy to use, then charge through the nose for it. (Also keep it slightly underpowered, maybe so that people are always looking to upgrade.)

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Yes, I read that.  iOS is a descendant of FreeBSD.  Also open source.

That almost makes it sound like iOS is a FreeBSD distro, which obviously isn't so. iOS is certainly based on FreeBSD, and so is a sort of genetic descendant. But it violates the entire paradigm under which FreeBSD was created, so it's not a "descendant" in the sense I would think of.

More to the point, the fact that you can write a program to run under FreeBSD doesn't mean you can therefore write one that runs under iOS. Serious FreeBSD coding doesn't require using Objective-C.

Edited by Vort

1 hour ago, Vort said:

People think this because Apple discourages development on its mobile platform by its logo requirements and distribution model. This is an Apple philosophy that is baked into the company, true at least since the first Macintoshes came out in 1984: Make the device a joy to use, then charge through the nose for it. (Also keep it slightly underpowered, maybe so that people are always looking to upgrade.)

They don't discourage you to develop on their platform or even tweak the platform itself.  They discourage you from selling what you created as part of the Apple product because of the paradigm I mentioned above.  This has been true since the dawn of time.  And no, they don't make it underpowered so you're looking to upgrade - that's a Bill Gates thing.  Jobs vs Woz is where it is - Jobs wanted the sky, the money-managers of Apple can't sell it because it cost too much to make so they can't sell it.  So a compromise had to be struck.  Woz development always got the short end of the stick until they kicked Jobs out.

People were screaming about the Mac not getting upgrades.  But the Mac was powerful enough to compete with the 10-year-old-younger platforms so much so that serious graphics designers and gamers prefer the old Mac than anything new on the market.  And the 10-year-old Mac can run Windows better than any new windows PC.

Okay, so Mac finally got an upgrade to please the "critics".  Dunno exactly what they did as I haven't paid much attention to it since Jobs passed.  My Apple interest went with Jobs.

Edited by anatess2

1 hour ago, Vort said:

That almost makes it sound like iOS is a FreeBSD distro, which obviously isn't so. iOS is certainly based on FreeBSD, and so is a sort of genetic descendant. But it violates the entire paradigm under which FreeBSD was created, so it's not a "descendant" in the sense I would think of.

More to the point, the fact that you can write a program to run under FreeBSD doesn't mean you can therefore write one that runs under iOS. Serious FreeBSD coding doesn't require using Objective-C.

MacOS and iOS is the only FreeBSD distro that is licensed separate from the BSD license, and therefore, is not open source in the same manner, so you can't wipe out the OS kernel.  But you can add functionality to the platform through ARMs.  So yes, you can DEFINITELY write a program to run under FreeBSD that will run under iOS.  With or without Objective C.  You can even create your own "App Store" deployment system.

But like I said before... you can't sell any of your stuff including the contents of your own App Store version as part of an Apple product.  And, of course, the minute you modify an Apple product outside of Apple methodology, it ceases to be an Apple product.  Because, as the paradigm insists, the entire Apple product is supported by Apple.  It would be silly for them to support something they don't control.  But you can develop and open source to your heart's content.  By the way, MacOS and iOS source code is out there in public space.

Edited by anatess2

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I can't download the source code to iOS and modify it to run on another device, or at all for that matter.

I'm not talking about developing for the iOS platform. I'm talking about the freedom to use iOS as I wish, not just as apple wishes.

5 minutes ago, jerome1232 said:

I can't download the source code to iOS and modify it to run on another device, or at all for that matter.

Yes you can.  The source code is out there on public space.  Both for the MacOS and iOS.

5 minutes ago, jerome1232 said:

I'm not talking about developing for the iOS platform. I'm talking about the freedom to use iOS as I wish, not just as apple wishes.

I'm talking about the same thing.  You can use/modify/add to the iOS to your heart's content.  You just can't sell it or distribute it as part of an Apple product.

Edited by anatess2

39 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

And no, they don't make it underpowered so you're looking to upgrade - that's a Bill Gates thing.

???

Other than Xbox (and Windows Phone), Microsoft doesn't deal in hardware.

2 minutes ago, Vort said:

???

Other than Xbox (and Windows Phone), Microsoft doesn't deal in hardware.

We're talking about OS.  Not just the hardware.  If you're talking about hardware only then we're not talking about the same thing.

Edited by anatess2

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

Yes you can.  The source code is out there on public space.  Both for the MacOS and iOS.

No. No it's not. Apple doesn't allow anyone to download their source code and they don't license it so that you can modify the code for your own use, they don't let you distribute modifications and they don't let you contribute code back to their OS.

They just ordered some leaked, empahsis in leaked, meaning they never wanted it there, source code off of GitHub, which is the opposite of opening up their source.

3 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

We're talking about OS.  Not just the hardware.  If you're talking about hardware only then we're not talking about the same thing.

I'm saying that Apple products have historically been underpowered, possibly as an incentive to upgrade. For all their faults, Microsoft has never intentionally underpowered their products. If anything, the knock on Microsoft was that the expected too much hardware power, not that they delivered too little.

47 minutes ago, jerome1232 said:

No. No it's not. Apple doesn't allow anyone to download their source code and they don't license it so that you can modify the code for your own use, they don't let you distribute modifications and they don't let you contribute code back to their OS.

They just ordered some leaked, empahsis in leaked, meaning they never wanted it there, source code off of GitHub, which is the opposite of opening up their source.

Dunno why you say that.  The source code has been out there for ages.  MacOS released bits and pieces of their source code since ages ago.  iOS is not much different than MacOS.  And that was released recently.  And no, it wasn't "leaked copy".  Apple released the thing to get feedback from the open source community.

But no, MacOS and iOS has a separate license as BSD.  You can't update back to the OS without going through Apple.  Rather, you can submit enhancement suggestions to Apple and they might or might not include it in the OS.  But you can create your own OS off of the MacOS or iOS platform to your hearts content.  You just can't distribute it as MacOS or iOS... because it wouldn't be.  As a developer, I don't know why you would need to have it recognized as Mac/iOS... it's your own OS.  Call it jeromeOS and be done with it.

Edited by anatess2