Advantages of an iPhone or Android

gasecey

On 7/19/2018 at 2:14 AM, anatess2 said:

I can do (and have done) all my work through my iPhone.  There are no "hidden exclusive secrets" if you want to develop on an iOS.  You do need to pass iOS established standards.

Can I see it as an advantage?

On 7/24/2018 at 9:34 AM, bueerins said:

One major advantage of iOS not mentioned in here is that the official Move to iOS app can help you move staff easily to iOS devices. 

Most of the "advantages" are experienced or tested by Android /iPhone users themselves .

8 hours ago, jerome1232 said:

No. No it's not. Apple doesn't allow anyone to download their source code and they don't license it so that you can modify the code for your own use, they don't let you distribute modifications and they don't let you contribute code back to their OS.

They just ordered some leaked, empahsis in leaked, meaning they never wanted it there, source code off of GitHub, which is the opposite of opening up their source.

It involves trade secrets, and apple certainly won't let anyone else do that .

Does Android do that ?

24 minutes ago, gasecey said:

It involves trade secrets, and apple certainly won't let anyone else do that .

Does Android do that ?

Yes. The Android operating system is fully open source*.

https://source.android.com/

*The Android you have on your phone is that open source project, with a little sprinkled on top by Google. They source from this open source project, they also contribute back to it. But not everything they sprinkle on top makes it back to AOSP (Android Open Source Project).

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer Android (Without prejudice)

The advantages of Android is "Open ", because my father, mother and brother all use android phones, i really like the Android Manager feature , which can manage and backup Android on pc.

But for iPhone , it's too closed , I don't like being asked to type in ***Apple ID when doing anything,

Edited by casser

7 hours ago, casser said:

I prefer Android (Without prejudice)

The advantages of Android is "Open ", because my father, mother and brother all use android phones, we can easily share informatio,

That's impossible for iPhone users, I don't like being asked to type in ***Apple ID when doing anything,

This is not true.  The advantage of iPhone over Android is, not only can you share apps and data with all other iPhone users you add to your group, you can add all of the other Apple devices to it including iPads, Macs, etc.  You are asked for an Apple ID and password to add your device to the group.  After that, you are only asked for your Apple ID password if you buy something.  You can even receive one phone call or text message and it rings on all the devices or only on select devices on your group.  I use this to see all my kids' text messages anytime I want and know when my kid is on his phone when he's supposed to be in school or asleep.  Apple also have this locator feature where you can use your GPS locator to find all the devices in your group and where it is, including your non-mobile devices. We use this a lot in the same manner that Harry Potter's Mrs. Weasley has that clock in her kitchen to track where all her magical family are. 

And then there's this.  Super irritating to get that green text message when half your family is halfway around the planet and you know you're gonna get a major ding on your cell service charges.

iMessage.png

Edited by anatess2

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

iMessage.png

Use a data based messenger that isn't locked to a single platform for no reason at all. Such as WhatsApp, Allo, Facebook messenger, or a number of other data based messenger apps. Guess what! You wouldn't have to use another application to talk to non-iOS users if Apple didn't lock their messaging application down to one platform. No one else does this. It's absurd.

Apple is the one that refuses to open their API so that Android's can participate in iMessage, or even build an iMessage app for other os's. Which reminds me, I'm still waiting for that source code link btw. I mean, then I could just download the source code for iMessage and get to work porting it to Android so you won't have to deal with that green bubble anymore!

Edited by jerome1232

2 minutes ago, jerome1232 said:

Use a data bassed messenger that isn't locked to a single platform for no reason at all. Such as WhatsApp, Allo, Facebook messenger, or a number of other data based messenger apps. Guess what! You wouldn't have to use another application to talk to non-iOS users if Apple didn't lock their messaging application down to one platform. No one else does this. It's absurd.

Apple is the one that refuses to open their API so that Android's can participate in iMessage, or even build an iMessage app for other os's. Which reminds me, I'm still waiting for that source code link btw. I mean, then I could just download the source code for iMessage and get to work porting it to Android so you won't have to deal with that green bubble anymore!

Why would they (or you) need to do that?  Like you said... there's an App for that.

You  keep on forgetting the Apple paradigm.  Apple supports Apple.  ALL Apple.  The entire shabang.  Like GE supports your entire refrigerator. 

Edited by anatess2

52 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Why would they (or you) need to do that?  Like you said... there's an App for that.

Still don't see all of this supposed source code Apple released.

And yes, that is how that works. If someone creates a messaging protocol if they want others to take adavantage of it they'd have to allow other applications to communicate using that protocol. Like the SMS protocol, and the RCS protocol. Google helped push RCS as a means to get *everyone* using  a modern mesaging protocol.

It didn't go so well with Apple talk (I think that's what they called their own networking protocol if I recall correctly) vs tcp/ip. I predict the same future for iMessage as RCS kicks in.

Edited by jerome1232

1 hour ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

It comes down to whether you like tyranny (IOS device) or freedom (Android).

Image result for iphone x sucks

Tyranny?  On a private enterprise?  That's funny.

It's the difference between Bill Gates always having to worry if his computer will work on the demo and have the support people to fix it and Steve Jobs not having to worry about it because his support people has control over the entire product.  It's the difference between you having to call the plumber when your pipe is bad, then the electricians when your electrical wires are bad or the roofer when your roof is bad instead of calling the House person to deal with it when the House is bad.  Two different paradigms.

4 hours ago, jerome1232 said:

Still don't see all of this supposed source code Apple released.

That's not my problem.  My work has a copy.

4 hours ago, jerome1232 said:

And yes, that is how that works. If someone creates a messaging protocol if they want others to take adavantage of it they'd have to allow other applications to communicate using that protocol. Like the SMS protocol, and the RCS protocol. Google helped push RCS as a means to get *everyone* using  a modern mesaging protocol.

It didn't go so well with Apple talk (I think that's what they called their own networking protocol if I recall correctly) vs tcp/ip. I predict the same future for iMessage as RCS kicks in.

Ahh, so you're just upset that Apple doesn't want others to take advantage of it.  Why should they?  They're on a market-share race with Androids.  You should see what Bill Gates did to get his market-share of PCs back in the day.

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

That's not my problem.  My work has a copy.

Unless you work for Apple, no it doesn't.

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Ahh, so you're just upset that Apple doesn't want others to take advantage of it.  Why should they?  They're on a market-share race with Androids.  You should see what Bill Gates did to get his market-share of PCs back in the day.

No, it's annoying that Apple came up with a great protocol, but they can't open the standard up and improve cross-compatibility.

Times have changed. On the cloud, on mobile platforms, on embedded devices open source is King. No one wants devices that only feature their good features when interacting with devices from one company. People want products that work across platforms.

17 hours ago, jerome1232 said:

Unless you work for Apple, no it doesn't.

No, it's annoying that Apple came up with a great protocol, but they can't open the standard up and improve cross-compatibility.

Times have changed. On the cloud, on mobile platforms, on embedded devices open source is King. No one wants devices that only feature their good features when interacting with devices from one company. People want products that work across platforms.

I don't work for Apple.  But yeah, I do know what my work does and doesn't have.

17 hours ago, jerome1232 said:

No one wants devices that only feature their good features when interacting with devices from one company. People want products that work across platforms.

Au contraire, several multi-national corporations are using Apple mobile devices with their Microsoft PCs and Linux specialty machines  and their IBM servers.  We even still have the old AS400s in the mix where I work that I get to support.  

But this debate is going nowhere.  You got your perspective, I got mine.  I've provided a good lifestyle for my family on a career built on my perspective so I'm not about to change it anytime soon.  I guess it is what it is.

Edited by anatess2

Use an iPhone if you like being forced to do things someone else's way.

Use an Android phone if you like to be able to customize and do things your own way.

Use an iPhone if you want things to be simple and just work and/or have minimal technical knowledge.

Use an Android phone if you want things to work, and to be able to have more control over how they work.

Use an iPhone if you don't mind spending money on over priced devices.

Use an Android phone if you want the choice to pay a premium for higher level devices, but the option to pay much lower for an adequate device to suit your needs.

Use an iPhone if you are okay with having locked storage and a system that is intentionally programmed to slow down and require replacement over time, even when it should still be usable.

Use an Android phone if you want the option to expand storage with SD cards for photos, etc, and want a more easily replaceable battery with no intentionally programmed slow downs.

I like Android phones better, but iPhone's have their place, and although I am not a fan of apple products, in general I support their business model more than that of Google.

I have used both for years in my work and personal life. 

As a general rule, I find myself grabbing the iPhone when I want to make a phone call, get on the internet, chat with someone via text or Google Hangouts, or buy something online. It seems to work smoother and is more responsive to my touch. 

The android I tend to use for work as certain necessary programs aren't available on the iPhone. The battery life always lasts longer, too, for obvious reasons. 

I have to say that the discussion about open source and what can or can't be done on the various operating systems is probably meaningless to 99% of users. 

Truth be told, I'm getting to the point where I prefer to put my phones down and enjoy non-digitalized social interactions and the serenity of watching the trees and sky outdoors. I've missed a lot of life by being on the phone too often. 

On 7/11/2018 at 5:00 AM, gasecey said:

Can you list some of the advantages of an iPhone or an Android phone ?

apple is going down the sink. have been ever since they came out of the closet. altho applestuff tends to be simplistic and fairly easy to use compared to platforms. however just recently there was an apple device that spontaneously combusted so they might have stolen samsungs patent this time around.