Biblical Prediction of the Book of Mormon

Jeremy A

(Not sure what tags to put for this post.)

I just found out something interesting. Chances are, it was always there. Okay, this isn't coming out right. Anyway, I was writing questions about the brother of Jared and the problems faced with the barges to cross the water to the promised land. I was checking some footnotes and went to 2 Nephi 27 about the prediction of the Book of Mormon. I noticed in the heading that it is from Isaiah 29. I then looked at Isaiah 29 and see that Isaiah predicted the coming of the Book of Mormon. Not only that but that the person who would had little education. It also says that other people were given the opportunity but couldn't.

Anyway, this gives me opportunity to write trivia questions, but one thing I am wondering is if there is any other locations in the Bible that predict the Book of Mormon. I'm guessing Daniel does, but I'm not entirely sure. What are your thoughts? Of course, when writing questions, I want them to be accurate.

Ezekiel 37 (stick of Joseph/stick of Judah) is one.  But it’s important to note that non-LDS Biblical scholars have perfectly plausible—even persuasive—explanations of these passages that have nothing to do with the Book of Mormon.  They’re great passages of faith-bolstering dual prophecy; but I wouldn’t use them as proof-texts.

There is a problem because spiritual things are only spiritually discerned.  However, with this aside there are many spiritual witnesses to the Book of Mormon and the restoration within the books of the Bible.  But I would also note that there are also other scripture text that are not included in the Bible that are relevant.   They are critical because they demonstrate the thinking going on at the time – which has a great deal to do with understanding Biblical symbolism.

I will begin with Isaiah 2:2  Now I will point out that when Utah was made a state the Mormons wanted to call the state Deseret but the enemies of the church in the last minutes in Washington DC changed the name of the state to Utah – not knowing that what they were doing was fulfilling prophesy – The word Utah in the native tongue of the Ute people means “top of the Mountains”. 

The Traveler

Not to get off the topic, but by way of information. 

Here is the Utah Division of State History's take on naming of the State: 

"The Newcomers

Originally the Spanish considered Paiutes and Utes to be one group. They believed the area northeast of the Hopi was populated by those they called "Yutas," a term the Spanish used to refer to both the Paiutes and their neighbors to the east, the Utes. The Spanish term gave the present state of Utah its name. Paiutes and Utes both use another term--pronounced Payuts by the Paiutes and Payuch by the Utes--to refer to the Paiutes as distinct from the Utes. Up until the mid-1600s, the Utes and Paiutes essentially shared a similar way of life." ...

Further search brings this from the Deseret News:

"You'd think if anyone has the definitive answer on what the name Utah really means, it should be members of the Ute Indian Tribe. But according to Larry Cesspooch, public relations director for the audio/visual department of the Ute Tribe in Fort Duchesne, the Utes don't even have such a word in their language.

He said Utah - Anglicized from "Yuta" - is what the Spanish called the Utes, and his research indicates it meant "meat eaters." Cesspooch has used this explanation in various public presentations, and he said he's never been challenged on it."

Source: Arave, Lynn (July 10, 1994); Utah: The Riddle Behind The Name; Deseret News

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/363685/UTAH--THE-RIDDLE-BEHIND-THE-NAME.html

Edited by Speakzeasy
Update

On 7/11/2018 at 5:29 PM, Traveler said:

I will begin with Isaiah 2:2  Now I will point out that when Utah was made a state the Mormons wanted to call the state Deseret but the enemies of the church in the last minutes in Washington DC changed the name of the state to Utah – not knowing that what they were doing was fulfilling prophesy – The word Utah in the native tongue of the Ute people means “top of the Mountains”. 

Isaiah 2:2 - "And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established
in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it
."

Former LDS President Hinckley said the Salt Lake City temple may have been the fulfillment of the 
words of Isaiah (https://www.lds.org/ensign/1989/11/an-ensign-to-the-nations?lang=eng).

One could say it was a dual prophecy but I think a single prophecy is implied by Isaiah one verse earlier - "The
word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem
."

Isaiah 1:1 has similar words.  "The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and
Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah
".

Is Isaiah also talking about the inhabitants of that western part of the world (now called Salt Lake 
City) who lived in the days of Judah's kings?

Thanks,
Jim