Should I confess this to my bishop?

Hi! 

I'm a 20 year old who is currently preparing for a mission and with that came a scrub down of all past mistakes that could be problematic if I didn't deal with them now. 

When I was 11, I had a strong urge to know what "making out" would feel like and thought well a dog is the best option I have so I took my uncle's dog into a room and laid down on the floor. There I let him lick all over my face while I tried to embrace him as I've seen actors do on TV and I even tasted what a dog tongue in my mouth felt like for a second which felt kind of gross. I would be lying if the licks to the face didn't feel good and even arousing as I have never felt it before which is where I think the guilt really stems from. 

Now I'd like to emphasize that this was an isolated incident at the age of 11 when I assume many kids start to explore sexuality. For that reason and the fact that nothing really happened other than a dog slobbering over my face, I came to the conclusion that it doesn't need to be brought up to the bishop. I do have a tendency to be excruciatingly focused on past mistakes though recently and I'd just like to confirm that it isn't a serious sin because it would be a really weird thing to bring up in the bishop's office. 

Thanks for reading. 

Guest LiterateParakeet

No, I really don't think that is something you need to talk to your Bishop about.  But if it's going to drive you crazy wondering then tell him so you won't be second guessing yourself.

Congratulations on your desire to serve a mission. It is a wonderful opportunity.

Hi wellhellothere,

I've heard a bishop or two mention things about confession.  Youthful 'playing doctor' is healthy and normal.  Sometimes it can be a jumping off point to some bad stuff, but usually it's sort of a one-time or two-time thing, and then someone moves on with growing up.  It sounds like yours falls into the second category.  But if you're carrying guilt or shame or fear over it, there's nothing wrong with confessing it to your bishop - he can help.  From what I know about the things bishops deal with, he'd jump for joy at having someone show up to confess, and only have that to say.  

There is a power to confession - to saying the words out loud in your voice, to someone who will hear it.  So if it's really bugging you, go for it.

Edited by NeuroTypical

14 hours ago, wellhellothere said:

Hi! 

I'm a 20 year old who is currently preparing for a mission and with that came a scrub down of all past mistakes that could be problematic if I didn't deal with them now. 

When I was 11, I had a strong urge to know what "making out" would feel like and thought well a dog is the best option I have so I took my uncle's dog into a room and laid down on the floor. There I let him lick all over my face while I tried to embrace him as I've seen actors do on TV and I even tasted what a dog tongue in my mouth felt like for a second which felt kind of gross. I would be lying if the licks to the face didn't feel good and even arousing as I have never felt it before which is where I think the guilt really stems from. 

Now I'd like to emphasize that this was an isolated incident at the age of 11 when I assume many kids start to explore sexuality. For that reason and the fact that nothing really happened other than a dog slobbering over my face, I came to the conclusion that it doesn't need to be brought up to the bishop. I do have a tendency to be excruciatingly focused on past mistakes though recently and I'd just like to confirm that it isn't a serious sin because it would be a really weird thing to bring up in the bishop's office. 

Thanks for reading. 

I would bring it up to your bishop.  Not because I think it's a crushing event, but because this has weighed on you for 9 years.  You likely won't be able to put it past you until you do.  I don't think it will amount to anything, but it will be a weight off your shoulders and you'll no longer question it.

Yea you know what I think I'll just go talk to him. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Its gonna be the weirdest/awkwardest talk ever but better that than having that on my mind while preparing to serve a mission. I mean yes I was only 11 on the brink of raging hormones but the fact that I got a little excited in the wrong way (at least I think I did) from a little puppy hugging/licking my face really makes me feel uneasy. It disgusts me now like I want to slap that little kid and drive some sense through that thick skull. 

I've been wrestling with a few issues in my past and because of it I've already talked to the bishop a couple times and really he's been understanding and he's supporting me greatly so I can leave for my mission. I really hope I'm not bothering him because I've already taken a lot of time out of his hands because of my issues when he's got a whole ward to think about. 

Do you think this issue would cause delay or denial of serving a mission? 

Thanks 

Edited by wellhellothere

Honestly I don't give a crap as to what happens to me right now. Yes mission denial would be devastating but I know I'd get over it eventually and screw the people who would inevitably judge me. Ultimately it's about making sure that I become a worthy father and husband to my future family. I think of them when I'm struggling through stuff especially now. Going through this when I have to perform in school and in the pool as a swimmer (it's my last chance to compete ever most likely because of a mission) is really taking it's toll on all aspects of my life. It's just hard to concentrate on things. 

I'm sorry about rambling. I just think I've ignored a lot of my inner demons all my life and I'm trying to take them all on at once as I prepare to serve a mission because there's no way I'm bringing that stuff with me on the mission field if I am given the privilege to serve.

Thanks for the advice everyone! 

Edited by wellhellothere

Guest MormonGator
17 hours ago, Grunt said:

I don't think it will amount to anything, but it will be a weight off your shoulders and you'll no longer question it.

My thought completely.  

11 hours ago, wellhellothere said:

Do you think this issue would cause delay or denial of serving a mission? 

No and no.  I mean, I'm not your bishop, but this isn't fornication or murder or a lack of testimony or something.  Facing a massively awkward situation and going through with it, is very much more desirable to carrying this around with you forever.

Perfect time to face inner demons is as you're getting ready to go on a mission.  So much better than during your mission, or after.