What Would You Do? LDS vs. Homosexuality

pwrfrk

6 hours ago, pwrfrk said:

Would that make the church more of a True Church, or less of one?  And why?

This is a silly question because the answer is so simple. The answer is if it came from God then that would be true and if it came from man then it would be less true. The only issue then becomes finding out where it came from and we can all do that at any time through faith study prayer and the guidance of the Holy Ghost. I don't see what the problem is.

The same principles and process would apply if homosexual sex became legal every second day and remained illegal on the other days. This is an unlikely scenario but one we should all be prepared to accept if we become sure that it comes from God.

2 minutes ago, Overwatch said:

Um, actually, even Father follows laws or he never would have became our Father.

Beat me to it. But if we dive into it... he CAN do whatever he wants. He is exalted because everything he wants is in line with the law.

17 minutes ago, Overwatch said:

Um, actually, even Father follows laws or he never would have became our Father.

Indeed He does, but I'm not sure if the law against homosexual sex is the kind of law, the breach of which, would lead to Him no longer being our Father. 

14 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

Indeed He does, but I'm not sure if the law against homosexual sex is the kind of law, the breach of which, would lead to Him no longer being our Father. 

It would change the law of chastity, and if the law of chastity isn't a law -- how much more then could be changed? It would also change marriage -- husband and wife. It appears to be this kinda of law as it would then change a many good aspect of the law we currently know the Father himself keeps.

ok I just read through all these threads, and hijacking aside,a very small percentage of the posts deal directly with the question.  "That would never happen" doesn't answer the OP's question. I double dog dare you to answer truthfully what YOU personally  would do. I personally would leave the church in a nanosecond if this scenario played out.   I would take some time to find one that seemed not only to be dedicated to keeping marriage pure but also to be teaching faith and supporting those who sincerely want to leave the practice behind. 

Here's a link to  video from MassResistance . There are lots of  videos by this group and I find them very thought provoking.

8 minutes ago, carlimac said:

ok I just read through all these threads, and hijacking aside,a very small percentage of the posts deal directly with the question.  "That would never happen" doesn't answer the OP's question. I double dog dare you to answer truthfully what YOU personally  would do. I personally would leave the church in a nanosecond if this scenario played out.   I would take some time to find one that seemed not only to be dedicated to keeping marriage pure but also to be teaching faith and supporting those who sincerely want to leave the practice behind. 

Here's a link to  video from MassResistance . There are lots of  videos by this group and I find them very thought provoking.

I would dive deep into study of the words of the prophets prior to the announcement of supposed event. If my heart and mind never felt rested on it, I would leave.

36 minutes ago, carlimac said:

I double dog dare you to answer truthfully what YOU personally  would do.

All you have to do is pray about it with faith, humility and a sincere desire to know, and then follow the answer you receive. There's nothing really hard about it. If God opens the gates to greater acceptance of homosexual practices in His church, that's something for God to worry about, not me.

Edited by askandanswer

On 7/20/2018 at 4:56 PM, NeuroTypical said:

I'm 4-5 years into a 20 year bet with an atheist buddy of mine.  He figures SSM in the temple is a mere 30 years away, once we refresh our church leadership with a few younger generations.  I figure he's up in the night.

Whoever loses the bet, puts on a pink tutu and sings "I'm a little teapot".  

Send photos!  Will the performance be public? Televised? 

I am not sure that ‘younger’ leadership is coming any time soon! But I imagine that your friend is thinking of a change of generations so generation z, or later.

What will the generation after z be called? A? The flying car generation? The 10 lost tribes return generation? 

Edited by Sunday21

@carlimac
@pwrfrk
I've got a real life friend that believes this exact scenario is a real thing. She used the priesthood becoming available to people of all lineages as her example too.

The issue is they aren't comparable. The priesthood ban, at it's introduction, was said to be temporary (even if Brigham Young didn't think it would happen before the second coming of Christ, he still acknowledged this wasn't a permanent thing).

Who does and doesn't hold the priesthood isn't a core foundational doctrine of the church. To change who is eligible doesn't contradict any core doctrine. 

The family though? The nature of the family? That stuff is core. It's foundational. If Pres. Nelson got up and announced that the church was wrong about the nature of the family and said that same gender unions were sanctioned by God that would contradict core, foundational, scriptural doctrine.

If that happened it would mean at the very least that Pres. Nelson wasn't speaking for God. It would mean Pres. Nelson was leading God's church astray. I don't believe God would allow his church to be lead astray like that. If that happened it would shake my faith to the very core.

Because I believe that The Church of Jesus Christ is truly Christ's church here on earth, and Pres. Nelson was called by God to lead His church. My simple response is that your comparison is flawed, and it's a silly hypothetical that won't ever happen.