Can you think of anything to add to this lesson?

Sunday21

Can you think of anything to add to this lesson about Ministering? This lesson is a bit thin so I am trying to think of some material to add. Do you have any ideas? Thank you

The worth of souls is great in the sight of God.

The experiences of the sons of Mosiah illustrate that the way we see people affects how we minister to them. You could write on the board How the Nephites saw the Lamanites and How the sons of Mosiah saw the Lamanites. Then invite members to search Mosiah 28:1–3 and Alma 26:23–26 to find words and phrases to write under each of these statements. What does this comparison teach us about how the way we see people affects the way we minister to them? How can we learn to see people more as God sees them? (see D&C 18:10–16).

I did this one - it took the whole time.  It went like this:

1) We reviewed the verses which showed how the Nephites viewed the Lamanites.  (We joked about how it would be bad if you wanted to kill the sisters to whom you minister.)

2) We reviewed the verses which showed how the sons of Mosiah viewed the Lamanites.  We talked about what we can learn from this and apply to ministering.  We talked about how to develop this perspective.

3) We talked about how God views each of us, and how we can come to view each of the sisters to whom we are assigned to minister in the same way.

(This bit might be from another of those lessons - I tend to merge them in pairs.)  I suggested that they make a list of the sisters to whom they minister. For each one, list one thing she's good at.  Consider how to express appreciation for that thing, and how to help her use that ability in the service of others.  Then list one thing that she needs, and determine how to help her with that need (whether themselves, or by seeking others to help).

This may be a slightly different angle but one I would like to hear discussed is the idea that those who are seen as dependable, self-sufficient, etc sometimes get ignored but everyone needs something. It may not be meals, rides or last minute babysitting but other things are just as important even if they're not as vocal about it as others might be. 

Edited by Manners Matter

We had this today ~ and the ONE thing that the Instructor refused to be brought up (by me by the way) was what was *ministered* to me that affected me the most. One was a good one, one was a bad one.

By The Way - this particular woman is a retired High School Teacher, and she just flat out refuses to stop the lecturing, and allow the conversations to flow.

So - that is my 0.02$ worth.

5 hours ago, Iggy said:

We had this today ~ and the ONE thing that the Instructor refused to be brought up (by me by the way) was what was *ministered* to me that affected me the most. One was a good one, one was a bad one.

By The Way - this particular woman is a retired High School Teacher, and she just flat out refuses to stop the lecturing, and allow the conversations to flow.

So - that is my 0.02$ worth.

@Iggy 

IThanks for answering! I really don’t know what this means: ‘what was *ministered* to me that affected me the most. One was a good one, one was a bad one.’ Could you explain? 

If teachers step out of line here, the presidency talks to the teacher. We had a couple retire and move here. We were so happy because this area really struggles. The wife was a professional teacher and she taught in RElief Society (RS) but she taught in the a worldly manner. I am not sure what she did but I assume that she really controlled the class and squashed discussion. The RS presidency spoke to her about teaching in an lds way and..she responded with,  ‘ I have decades of professional experience’. The couple moved to the US! 😢 

When I started teaching in RS, I thought ‘ Oh good. I will pick up some tips to teach at work! ‘ Nope totally different environment!  I was so turned off by being suppressed, ignored, and spoken to rudely, I was determined to make the class open and welcoming. A teacher in RS once told me that I should not ask such a basic question and that I should go back to Gospel Principles! I am now close friends with that lady but still! In RS we teach adults and they should be treated as such! With love, gentleness and discretion! 

A good lesson!  Might I recommend the following:

God shows His love for us in this: that while we were yet sinners Christ died fo us. Romans 5:8

”Being a Christian means forgiving the inexcusable in others because God forgave the inexcusable in you,”  CS Lewis , Mere Christianity 

I think the above two demonstrate that it is helpful that we remember what we too were once covered in warts, but our father saw us not as we were but as who we can be  

President Eyring tells a wonderful story about how, when he was a Bishop, that he had to counsel one of his ward members who had just been busted for drunk driving.  As he tells the story he relates that he was going to tear into this guy, but before the meeting started the spirit allowed him to see this person as our Father saw him.  The experience changed the whole tenor of the meeting.

Edited by warnerfranklin
Gramar

Here's a favorite Brigham Young quote that I pull out when I can.

Never try to destroy a man. It is our mission to save the people, not to destroy them. The least, the most inferior spirit now upon the earth, in our capacity, is worth worlds. [...] Suppose you should labor all your lifetime faithfully, and be the means of saving one soul, how great would be your joy in heaven over that soul that you were the means of saving! If to all eternity you could praise God, through being the means of saving one soul—I may say the least or most inferior intelligence upon the earth, pertaining to the human family—if you could be the means of saving one such person, how great would be your joy in the heavens! Then let us save many, and our joy will be great in proportion to the number of souls we save. Let us destroy none.

-Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 9, Discourse 22, "Varieties of Mind and Character--Chastisement--Freedom, &c.", 17 February 1861

17 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Can you think of anything to add to this lesson about Ministering? This lesson is a bit thin so I am trying to think of some material to add. Do you have any ideas? Thank you

The worth of souls is great in the sight of God.

The experiences of the sons of Mosiah illustrate that the way we see people affects how we minister to them. You could write on the board How the Nephites saw the Lamanites and How the sons of Mosiah saw the Lamanites. Then invite members to search Mosiah 28:1–3 and Alma 26:23–26 to find words and phrases to write under each of these statements. What does this comparison teach us about how the way we see people affects the way we minister to them? How can we learn to see people more as God sees them? (see D&C 18:10–16).

There's an article in the August ensign about developing relationships which i think ties into this. https://www.lds.org/ensign/2018/08/building-meaningful-relationships?lang=eng

"Our ability to care for others is increased when we have a meaningful relationship with them."

2 hours ago, Vort said:

Here's a favorite Brigham Young quote that I pull out when I can.

Never try to destroy a man. It is our mission to save the people, not to destroy them. The least, the most inferior spirit now upon the earth, in our capacity, is worth worlds. [...] Suppose you should labor all your lifetime faithfully, and be the means of saving one soul, how great would be your joy in heaven over that soul that you were the means of saving! If to all eternity you could praise God, through being the means of saving one soul—I may say the least or most inferior intelligence upon the earth, pertaining to the human family—if you could be the means of saving one such person, how great would be your joy in the heavens! Then let us save many, and our joy will be great in proportion to the number of souls we save. Let us destroy none.

-Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 9, Discourse 22, "Varieties of Mind and Character--Chastisement--Freedom, &c.", 17 February 1861

Thanks,! This is great!

She asked who did we minister to and what did we do. No one really answered her because we are a SMALL branch. Even if no one named names, just saying what they did, we would know who she had ministered to.

I tried to divert it by saying what had been done to me. By doing this by NOT naming the person or even giving the date it happened. She cut me off by saying: Yes, well THAT is not what I asked now is it?

The RS Pres. pretty much put an end to the silence and her teacher reprimanding us as though we were third graders, by reading the three scriptures in your quote.

When you ask a question - give your class time to ponder the question, then formulate their response. And no 15 seconds is NOT enough time.

Guest LiterateParakeet
33 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

@IggyYes, well THAT is not what I asked now is it?

Rude! Like talking to a child! NOT how you teach adults! 

Very rude.  I would rarely speak to a child like that, and certainly not a sister in Relief Society.  

Not too long ago, I responded to a question that a teacher asked.  And she looked confused and said,  "Thanks, I'm sure that relates... some....how . . ."  Frankly that hurt and embarrassed me.  It will be a long time...if ever....that I share a comment in her class again.  But back to the topic...

We had this lesson last Sunday.  I love it.  Really love it.  I've been thinking about perspectives lately, and this tied right in.  (I shared this in class.)   The Nephites had good reasons for the way they felt.  They really did, that is not the issue here.  The thing is that the sons of Mosiah chose to see their old enemy through God's eyes (perspective).  I think this is a good lesson for all of us.  Here in the US we have a lot of schisms (which I didn't elaborate on so as to not hijack the class).  We may have, or feel we have good reasons for the way we feel about those who are different from us.  But this lesson is a reminder to us to take a step back and see our "enemy" through God's eyes.  

Really timely lesson.   I love it.  

Edited by LiterateParakeet

I believe the great problem for the saints of our current time is to turn doctrines from good verses evil into discussions of personal love, sacrifice and forgiveness.  This can only be done by turning understanding of gospel topics from issues centered around us and our individual problems to issues centered around others.  This is a most difficult problem because we all see the world through our own eyes, hearts and minds.  When someone presents a problem of how they are wronged - try to turn their point of view from what others have done incorrectly to them into what they can do to minister to those that have ministered incorrectly to them.

I believe the great lesson is to turn hearts from their individual woes (what has happened to them) to an attitude of love, sacrifice and forgiveness to move past themselves to loving and caring for those that they have despised because those others despised first.  My problems is not what others have done to me - it is my difficulty to return love and compassion when they do not show any sign that they care or appreciate mine or other's efforts.  So it would seem that those ministering to me concerning this downfall could encourage me - to continue in my efforts of compassion and not so much to encourage me that my efforts have justified me to move on and away from jerks that in reality it is I (thought it seems I have done nothing wrong) that must learn to forgive those that have not yet stepped up to their divine obligation and calling.

The Traveler