1 Nephi, Chaper 10

serapha

First of all, this is only the beginning of Chapter 3 in the original text, so when and where were the chapter and verse identifications changed?

4 Yea, even six hundred years from the time that my father left Jerusalem, a prophet would the Lord God raise up among the Jews--even a Messiah, or, in other words, a Savior of the world.

If the text is given in 1830, is this really a prophecy, and as we are aware, a fulfillment of prophecy?

8 Yea, even he should go forth and cry in the wilderness: Prepare ye the way of the Lord, and make his paths straight; for there standeth one among you whom ye know not; and he is mightier than I, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose. And much spake my father concerning this thing.

So, the prophecy is given, a quotation from the New Testament, which is yet to come, since this text is written at 600 BC. In actuality, then , is the bom the middle testament between the Old Testament and the New Testament, and not "another testament of Jesus Christ"??

Just for clarity, there is no punctuation in the Isaiah text or the New Testament quotatiaon of the same text. The comma (after Lord) delineates the text to become denominational. The Essenes, which whom the LDS's identify, accepted the passage to read "In the wilderness prepare ye the way of the Lord" and thus, their isolation from civilization and living in communities such as Qumran. The argument is substantiated by John the Baptist being in the wilderness before declaring the way of the Lord.

12 Yea, even my father spake much concerning the Gentiles, and also concerning the house of Israel, that they should be compared like unto an olive-tree, whose branches should be broken off and should be scattered upon all the face of the earth.

But in Romans, the branches are not scattered, but at a later time, they are grafted back in ...

14 And after the house of Israel should be scattered they should be gathered together again; or, in fine, after the Gentiles had received the fulness of the Gospel, the natural branches of the olive-tree, or the remnants of the house of Israel, should be grafted in, or come to the knowledge of the true Messiah, their Lord and their Redeemer.

and the olive tree will not produce with only natural branches, but there is a need for the wild olive tree branches to bring the natural olive tree into producing olives. Even today, concerning olive trees, the original tree is kept, and when branches are no longer producing, then new branches are graphed in.

I, Nephi, was desirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the Holy Ghost, which is the gift of God unto all those who diligently seek him, as well in times of old as in the time that he should manifest himself unto the children of men.

Just as in Old Testament times, the people only received the empowerment of the Holy Spirit and not the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Did they ever receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in the bom?

19 For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost, as well in these times as in times of old, and as well in times of old as in times to come; wherefore, the course of the Lord is one eternal round.

So, the discernment of the Holy Spirit was given to them when?

21 Wherefore, if ye have sought to do wickedly in the days of your probation, then ye are found unclean before the judgment-seat of God; and no unclean thing can dwell with God; wherefore, ye must be cast off forever.

What is "probation"? When is the judgment-seat of God which is the term used here? at the resurrection or another time? I thought that during the 1,000-year reign of Christ which is after the first resurrection, that there would be a time when people could be given another "chance"... this passage indicates that there is no "second chance". But then, why baptize the dead? Isn't the baptism of the dead done to provide a chance at redemption?

~serapha~