Church responds to man on hunger strike

pam

22 hours ago, lostinwater said:

Well, i was trying to avoid using 'sexually explicit' in my response.  But that is what i meant. 

Are you saying you weren't being explicit about using "sexually explicit"?

As far as everything else, if it doesn't appear self-evident why an older man sitting alone with a young child/teen who barely knows him, who is asking about, hearing confessions concerning, probing into, and developing ways to "fix" things of a sexually explicit nature, often without a parent's involvement, is going to hurt a lot of people (including bishops), then i am not sure i am going to be able to explain it in a way that accords you the respect you deserve - which is more important than my attempting (and almost certainly failing) to convince you i am right. 

And again, no doubt, it's good for many.  And maybe that sense of ambiguity is what i was trying to get at in my response - that just about everything that is, has a shadow - and some people stand in that shadow through no fault of their own.  

I think it's downright sad we are in this cultural mindset of "eek! a man!"  If the RS or YW president were to sit down alone and ask these young children explicit questions, would there be the same amount of hullaballoo? You can drum up data about men being more likely to be "creepy" or whatever, but I'd still say by and large most men aren't a threat. While I have no problem with the option of having another adult in the room, I do have a problem with this notion, consciously or unconsciously, being used to demonize a lot of decent men just doing their callings. The perspective becomes that we must protect the poor innocent children, or these decent men whom we all know to be decent just better keep their heads down and go with the shaming.

Again, I'm not saying the option of having another adult is anything less than a good idea. I just am not pleased at the cultural, scrutinizing weight it brings down on all parties.

ETA:

Eh, I responded without reading the thread and similar ideas have already been espoused. 

Edited by Backroads

16 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Sam Young has been a nonbelieving Mormon since 2014.

https://www.millennialstar.org/guest-post-what-is-sam-young-really-after/

This intrigues me.

When I first saw the article, I thought "didn't they put in new policies or whatever not too long ago?" and couldn't figure out why he was doing this.

Sam's position in a nutshell: "I want parent's to be the ones to talk with their kids about sex.  But rather than stepping up as a parent and encouraging other parents to do so (things like attending interviews), I'm going to focus all of my energy on having policy changes that don't actually encourage parents to talk to their kids about the subject and actively discourages the conversation with others and brand the idea "Protect Children"."

Gah.  Go home Sam and actually parent.

Edited by Jane_Doe

3:28 of gold from 2013
If righteous people (parents, Bishops, YM/YW leaders, etc.) don't speak explicitly with our children the world will fill that vacuum for them.

"...there are too many voices, too many others that will show them (our children) other pathways..." if we don't show them righteous ways.

Edited by NeedleinA

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, zil said:

Does the "wedding ring on each hand" bit indicate he has two wives? :P

Note to self-get more wedding rings. And more hands. 

On 8/1/2018 at 10:57 AM, NeedleinA said:

Are you implying this is a bad thing?
If you are, why? Why are we assuming the worst of the Bishop? Explicit means: stated clearly and in detail, leaving no room for confusion or doubt.

Are you trying to equate explicit to perverted?

I replied to this yesterday but then noticed that my post was not there. Either I didn’t actually get it posted or someone felt the need to delete the post. At any rate I said that on Sam’s website there are hundreds of accounts of obviously inappropriate conduct by bishops during interviews. This has a lot to do with his movement. I linked to the page and maybe someone didn’t like that so I won’t post a link but will leave it up to the reader to find it if they wish. 

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Note to self-get more wedding rings. And more hands. 

I see you've already been shopping for more hands:

38130105_10209709554255677_4160032664943

ETA: @NeedleinA - it's not a real hand - it's a dog toy.  It's just that the crappy photo makes that less than clear.  If you still don't think it's funny, please schedule a doctor's visit to have your funny bone checked.

Edited by zil

1 minute ago, estradling75 said:

It takes 30 to 40 days to starve to death(per a quick google search)... so I would say... no

I guess I was hoping he'd get special consideration, seeing as how he's so sincere and all.

20 minutes ago, BJ64 said:

At any rate I said that on Sam’s website

First name basis. Do you know this individual personally?
I saw the link before it was deleted. I'm glad it was removed.
I read the first two (supposed) anonymous posts from people. Sorry, but they were so outlandish with an axe to grind as to not even resemble anything credible.
The second reason I'm glad it is gone is the "Donation" button at the very top. Sorry, but save the children OR give me your money, which is it?

Edited by NeedleinA

8 minutes ago, Vort said:

I guess I was hoping he'd get special consideration, seeing as how he's so sincere and all.

Well if he was also not drinking then it might have happened now or really soon...  But he is calling it a hunger strike not a thirst strike

25 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

First name basis. Do you know this individual personally?
I saw the link before it was deleted. I'm glad it was removed.
I read the first two (supposed) anonymous posts from people. Sorry, but they were so outlandish with an axe to grind as to not even resemble anything credible.
The second reason I'm glad it is gone is the "Donation" button at the very top. Sorry, but save the children OR give me your money, which is it?

No, I am not acquainted with him. I just couldn’t remember his last name. 

I’ve read many of the accounts and I believe them to be true though you couldn’t guarantee that. I’ve even written my own account to add to his collection but have not as of yet decided to post it. I don’t want to look apostate for posting the truth. 

1 hour ago, estradling75 said:

It takes 30 to 40 days to starve to death(per a quick google search)... so I would say... no

There are approximately 3500 calories in a pound of fat. A sedentary man would burn around 2500 calories per day. Sam Young looks to be a pretty large man so if he had fifty extra pounds of fat it would take appropriately 70 days to use up that fat.  

Guest MormonGator
Just now, zil said:

Right, double + the "you're a lawyer surcharge" and his fee will be $75 - after signing all the "you can't sue us" papers.  Got it.

Jaina bites lawyers. Twice. 

And you don't want to know what she did to @pam

1 hour ago, zil said:

ETA: @NeedleinA - it's not a real hand - it's a dog toy.  It's just that the crappy photo makes that less than clear.  If you still don't think it's funny, please schedule a doctor's visit to have your funny bone checked.

I was grossed out by the dog

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

And I solemnly swear those papers will be perfectly valid—nay, bulletproof, even  . . . 

Speaking of attorneys @Just_A_Guy, the sheriff has been pestering me lately. Something about polygamy being illegal....got time for a consultation?