Xavier

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

May I present to you... the LDS media on audio including all the standard works ... https://www.lds.org/media-library/accessing-media-audiobooks?lang=eng

;)

Your wife is a very special woman.

So true..... she is astonishing.......

and my own personal testimony reminds me of this man:

And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this has already been stated, but the words "man" and "men" are not synonymous with "male" in older forms of English. English is a Germanic language, and in the Germanic languages, "man" means "human" (human being the Latin version of the same word). Man is literally the English word for our species, and is gender neutral, originally. It has nothing to do with male-centrality.

This is one of many examples showing the importance of studying language. People get lost and confused, and when modern political movements begin redefining language specifically to change how people think on a subject, we need to be more aware than they expect we are.

Edited by Beowulf

• pam unfeatured this topic
Guest LiterateParakeet
On 7/31/2018 at 7:59 AM, Scott said:

Try turning the question around.  Ask her if the Declaration of independence applies to women:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

If she says yes, then tell her that the scriptures are the same way.  If she says no and says that the Declaration of Independence doesn't apply to women, then the the question is harder to answer.   

Since she is an investigator she might not be familiar with historic terminology in the scriptures and may not identify with it.   She may however be able to identify with the Declaration of Independence, so I think it is worth a shot.

Anyway, as far as the Old Testament goes, that's a tough one.   Women were often treated as property (even non-slave women) and were bought and sold at the with of fathers and husbands.  It can be a very difficult concept to grasp those concepts in modern days.  

No.  Although feminism can have a negative connotation, here is a real definition of feminism:  

1.  the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.

When looking at the true definitions, I don't really see true feminism as a negative thing.  Woman should be treated as equals, and they should have rights such as the right to vote, right to fair educational opportunities, etc.

If feminism is used to try and erase all differences between the genders; yes I would have to disagree with that.   Although that sometimes comes to mind, that really is not the goal of true feminism.  

Scott, sorry I'm about a month late in thanking you for this post, but better late than never, LOL!  

@Xavier if you see this...a couple things that your friend might find helpful are:

Feminism in the Light of the Restored Gospel from BYU Studies...you have to download the PDF to read it, but I think she would appreciate it.  :)  The article begins with this quote:  "Perhaps it is no wonder that women were first at the Cradle and last at the Cross.  They had never known a Man like this--there has never been such another.  A prophet and teacher who never nagged at them, never flattered or coaxed or patronized; who never made arch jokes abut them . . . who took their questions and answers seriously; who never mapped out their sphere for them, never urged them to be feminine or jeered them for being female; who had no axe to grind and no uneasy male dignity to defend."  Dorothy Sayers

She might also like Valerie Hudson Cassler's article, I am a Mormon Because I am a Feminist.  
https://www.fairmormon.org/testimonies/scholars/valerie-hudson-cassler

Here is a sample of that talk: 

It is very difficult to be raised in one of the Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Islam, and Christianity), as I was, and not come away with some fairly unpleasant conclusions about women. Depending on the religion and sect involved, one may be taught that the first woman was feeble-minded or a murderess and that all her daughters are marred by that fact, that a woman’s body is unclean, that God meant women to submit to their husbands and in general be subservient to men, and that divinity is male and male alone. (Of course, echoes of such teachings can be found in other faith traditions besides the Abrahamic, as well.)

After decades of studying LDS doctrine concerning women (and carefully distinguishing it from LDS cultural understandings and practices, which in quite a few cases contradict that doctrine), I have been liberated as a woman from the erroneous and harmful beliefs about women that haunt those raised in Abrahamic traditions. How remarkable and in some senses ironic it still seems to me to have experienced “women’s lib” by conversion to Mormonism!

A couple other great resources:

Charity Never Faitheth, Seeking Sisterhood Among Different Perspectives on Mormon Feminism
https://www.fairmormon.org/conference/august-2013/charity-never-faileth

The Lives of Mormon Women by Claudia Bushman
https://www.fairmormon.org/blog/2011/08/03/best-of-fair-9-the-lives-of-mormon-women

"Daughters of Christ": Finding Language to Talk about Women and the Priesthood by Kathryn Shirts
https://www.fairmormon.org/conference/august-2016/daughters-christ