Waiting for a Sister Missonary

jandreson

For the past few months i have been dating this girl who is waiting for her mission call. I have served a mission and knowing how important that is i have done everything i can to support her (temple trips, family history, music , we even went and visited my mission.) Things are going great!!!

She is leaving in a few weeks, and i am wondering if anyone has any ideas of stuff i could do to show her i care without being a destraction.

I know i am writing her every so often but other then that i am open to any ideas! Any Ideas for when she gets home would be great too but obviously not as important.

Thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, jandreson said:

She is leaving in a few weeks, and i am wondering if anyone has any ideas of stuff i could do to show her i care without being a destraction.

I know i am writing her every so often but other then that i am open to any ideas!

Anything you do on top of 'writing her every so often', would be a distraction.

Happy waiting and writing!

6 minutes ago, jandreson said:

I have served a mission

Writing every so often and maybe a happy birthday package.

Once the letters cross over into - "I love you", imagine yourself back on your mission...would that have distracted you?

Just always make it clear you care about her happiness and are cheering for her success. So...get her a copy of "It's Just My Nature" by Carol Tuttle (it's a quick read) to take with her. This will help her and be something she can lend to each companion that will help them as well. Also make sure she understands the 5 love languages (again, to help keep companionships positive). If sending a package (birthday, Christmas, whatever), always include enough for her to share with her comp/s. At the end of letters, maybe include something funny (ie look for the cartoons found in the New Era) and/or a small depiction of some of the MormonAds (also in the New Era). These can lift her spirits and something she can share with her comp/s to lift theirs. That's all I've got for now but will chime back in if something else comes to mind. Welcome to the forum!

Guest LiterateParakeet

I think it's fine to write her every week, I wouldn't recommend more than once a week though.  You can tell her you miss her, but include encouragement for what she is doing....I would say something like, "I miss you, but I am so glad you are out there serving the Lord."   

When you write share things you are learning about the gospel..."when I was reading the Book of Mormon today, I started thinking about . . ."   Or "Do you remember Pres. Nelson's talk, _______, in the April conference? I was just rereading that and..."   Sharing gospel experiences is a way to connect without being distracting.  But be yourself!  Don't be preachy, just be natural.  Remember missionaries usually grow by leaps and bounds, spiritually, so you want to be sure you are still growing in the Spirit as well. 

Did you know that Pres. Ezra Taft Benson and his wife, Flora wrote each other throughout his mission, then he came home and she went...and they wrote throughout her mission....and then got married when she came home.   :)  

I think an occasional food package is always welcome by missionaries!  

When she comes home....whether or not you meet her at the airport is something to be decided with her AND her family.   Some families like a large crowd, some prefer it to be a smaller group.  Either is fine.   As you know, you won't be able to hug her at the airport.  

My family is absolutely embarrassing at the airport...and I wouldn't have it any other way, LOL!   We all get t-shirts---one of my sons went to Ghana, so when he came home we met him with everyone wearing Ghana t-shirts, LOL.  Of course, we have balloons and signs, and we scream and rush in to see who gets to hug him first.  I LOVE helium balloons for occasions like this.  They really lend a sense of festivity and fun!  

My daughter is out right now, and I keep a running list (for now, I don't share it) of things I want to do with her when she gets back (we are very close.)   Things like movies that have come out since she was gone that I want to show her, and ideas that come up that I want to do.  

The other thing I do when my kids are gone (my daughter is my third missionary) is plan some BHP...big hairy project.  Something that I may or may not be able to finish in 18 months.  It doesn't have to have anything to do with her.  This is about giving you something to help the time pass more quickly.    It could be an educational goal...like learning to play a particular song on the piano, choose something you really have to reach for.   Or taking a certain number of classes, with a particular grade average goal...again reach!   Or maybe it will be something you do with your hands like restore a car....   Any really big project that you are pushing to do, but might not be able to finish in that amount of time will help the time appear to pass more quickly.  Time is relative after all.   ;)

Bottom line...make your ultimate goal to help BOTH of you grow closer to the Godhead during this time and you will be fine!   

Keep a journal.  You can have as many I love you's and I miss you's in this journal as you want.  Pour your heart out and everything.

You can give it to her when she gets back.

Of course, the best advice I can give is for you to also go on a mission if you haven't yet.

Edited by anatess2

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Keep a journal.  You can have as many I love you's and I miss you's in this journal as you want.  Pour your heart out and everything.

You can give it to her when she gets back.

Of course, the best advice I can give is for you to also go on a mission if you haven't yet.

I love that idea, anatess.   He is a Returned Missionary.