Recent convert with question regarding mission

Spruce

I'm a 24 years old male recent convert and I want to serve a mission. However, after many prayers I haven't received a confirmation that I should serve. When I went to talk with my YSA ward bishop about missionary service, he told me that he felt I should focus on career, dating, temple marriage and eventually a family. Honestly I was quite surprised about my bishop's counsel, it wasn't what I was expecting. Should I follow my bishop's guidance? I understand that he is called by God and speaks with authority, but at the same time President Monson said all worthy and capable young men are called to serve.

Thank you!

Welcome, @Spruce!

The best advice I can give you is to ponder and study, make a decision, and then ask the Lord if it's right.  So, instead of saying, for example, "I'd like to serve a mission, please tell me if I should", ask, "I've decided to serve a mission, is this the right decision?" or "I've decided to follow my bishop's council and not serve a mission right now, is this the right decision?" (Or something like that - one of the keys being that you've studied it out and made your own decision first.)

Answers to the latter type of question seem to be more in line with what the Lord expects of us, and easier to understand.

It's great that you want to serve a mission, and I understand your uncertainty - it's no easy thing to do differently than the instructions of a prophet.  However, every now and then, the Lord has a different plan for one particular person, so it is possible that now is the time for you to focus on preparing for and starting your family, and later in life, you and your wife can serve (a) mission(s) together.  Perhaps if you serve a mission, something will not go right / as well as otherwise with your future family.  Something to consider, anyway.

Just do your best to be willing to obey the Lord whichever answer he gives you, regardless of whether it matches what you, or the bishop, or anyone else wants - in other words, don't let your personal wishes or fears keep you from "hearing" the answer.

1 hour ago, Spruce said:

I'm a 24 years old male recent convert and I want to serve a mission. However, after many prayers I haven't received a confirmation that I should serve. When I went to talk with my YSA ward bishop about missionary service, he told me that he felt I should focus on career, dating, temple marriage and eventually a family. Honestly I was quite surprised about my bishop's counsel, it wasn't what I was expecting. Should I follow my bishop's guidance? I understand that he is called by God and speaks with authority, but at the same time President Monson said all worthy and capable young men are called to serve.

Thank you!

Hi @Spruce, welcome to the forums and (more importantly) welcome to the church!

I'm first going to address a big picture here: there are more ways to serve a mission than the full-time-name-tag bearing type.  If you have a relationship with Christ, then you are called to share His gospel wherever/whenever you are.  It doesn't have to be with words or with a name tag, but rather it's *how* you are-- letting the light of Christ shine through you.  I share the Gospel when I got to work and am just a good Christian woman-- people see that love, honesty, hard work, etc.  If someone is interested in words, I'm happy to use words about my faith or talk about church stuff --- like I tell my friend about good times at church just as he tells me about good times at his church of the pigskin (aka watch football).  This is a part of my life, and it's a light I don't hide.

Now, on to talking specifically about the name-tag carrying type of mission: that is a great thing, but has a time and place.   A young person goes on a mission and then comes home to share Christ's light while also doing other things (working, family, talents, etc).  The Church acknowledges this, which is why their are guidelines on who serves.  For young men the guideline ages are 18-25.  Past that age it is a different season of life.  Name-tag carrying also open up at retirement age, when other seasons have past.  

As what non-name-tag things you can do now:

- Show the light of Christ wherever you go.

- If you want, serve as a ward missionary.  This role is someone who works with the name-tag missionaries, but unlike them is permanently stationed in that area.  This have the advantage of being a friend in the local area for someone to know, and more stability for the investigator.  Like my non-LDS husband greatly prefers to talk to the ward missionaries for that reason.  

- Remember, the big thing about Monson's counsel (and other prophets) too is the WILLINGNESS to serve-- the state of your heart.  If you're not of the season to be physically be serving, that doesn't minimize the most important heart of the matter. 

Hi @Spruce

I agree with what @zil said - you need to study the question carefully, then come up with your own answer, then ask God in prayer, with faith, desire and real intent if what you have decided is correct. And then you need to accept whatever answer comes. Personally, I don't think 24 is too late. When I was on my mission, we had a 27 year old male missionary, and partly because he was so much more mature than the other missionaries, he was given several leadership roles. More recently, about a year ago, we had a 25 year old missionary serving in our ward and from what I could see, he served quite well. As a returned missionary myself, and the father of a currently serving missionary, I can say that wonderful and life long blessings come from faithful missionary service. 

Here are some thoughts from another random person on the internet forum you have expressed your question:

1) I would draw your mind to the words of Elder Richard G. Scott (Link) regarding prayers that we feel we have not been answered or that we feel despite our struggle we have had no response, "What do you do when you have prepared carefully, have prayed fervently, waited a reasonable time for a response, and still do not feel an answer? You may want to express thanks when that occurs, for it is an evidence of His trust. When you are living worthily and your choice is consistent with the Savior’s teachings and you need to act, proceed with trust. As you are sensitive to the promptings of the Spirit, one of two things will certainly occur at the appropriate time: either the stupor of thought will come, indicating an improper choice, or the peace or the burning in the bosom will be felt, confirming that your choice was correct. When you are living righteously and are acting with trust, God will not let you proceed too far without a warning impression if you have made the wrong decision." (emphasis mine)

2) I would express that only you can decide, is whether or not the bishop's counsel is indeed an answer to your prayer, an answer to present the opposition (or simply another avenue of your life that you must consider). As you consider your own heart, the trust Heavenly Father has in you (Elder Scott's quote above) you can then make a clearer decision to take before the Lord.

3) Another quote from Elder Scott, same talk, "A key to improved prayer is to learn to ask the right questions. Consider changing from asking for the things you want to honestly seeking what He wants for you. Then as you learn His will, pray that you will be led to have the strength to fulfill it."

As @zil mentioned, and her witness is a second witness to these words from Elder Scott to learn how to ask the right question. These are my thoughts from what you have shared and Elder Scott's words.

1) Heavenly Father has placed a trust in you that you, your spirit, will make the right choice.

2) Heavenly Father through your heart and through counsel from your bishop have highlighted everything you need to consider in order to make a decision.

3) Once you have made a decision, a decision that is clear, you can take that decision to the Lord and wait for his answer. If no answer comes, then refer back to #1 along with this counsel from Elder Scott, "When you are living righteously and are acting with trust, God will not let you proceed too far without a warning impression if you have made the wrong decision."

The Lord bless you in whatever you choose. :)