Pineapples on Pizza?

Guest MormonGator

• pam unfeatured this topic
  • 5 years later...
8 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

A Neapolitan friend told me about this a week or two ago. I believe she's a pizza con ananas aficionada. There aren't many in Naples.

On 1/4/2024 at 11:38 AM, Vort said:

I posted this to the thread 5½ years ago, but it's still as relevant and funny as ever.

A hilarious part of this video is the subtitles, provided for the Italian viewers. The subtitles are Italian, but the people are speaking Neapolitan (napoletano, their local dialect and the language of many popular "Italian" songs of the past, such as O Sole Mio and Funiculì Funiculà.) Many Italians cannot understand people from Naples, like literally can't understand what they're saying. Hence the subtitles.

Funny story (to me, at least): One of my early mission companions had spent his entire mission to that point (five or six months) serving in Naples. This elder spoke little Italian, actually not much better than me (and I was brand new and could not speak Italian). Rather, he spoke napoletano. Pretty fluently, too. We were together for one transfer (four weeks), and he was sent off to be a zone leader.

In Florence.

It was a disaster*. But he stuck it out.

*The local dialect in Florence is called, unsurprisingly, Florentine (fiorentino). That dialect is literally the basis for the modern Italian language. The Florentine accent is distinctive, and Florentines are immensely proud that their dialect is the dialect in Italy, the one that was the linguistic standard. Florentines consider their own speech to be beautiful (which it is), and many look down their noses at pretty much every other Italian dialect. But they reserve special scorn for Neapolitan. Not really sure why. Many of them legitimately can't understand someone from Naples, but many others simply pretend not to be able to understand because, you know, napoletano. And here my companion was put in charge of a zone in and around Florence, when he himself could only barely speak Italian at all—though, as I said, he was impressively fluent in Neapolitan. I'm sure it was a growth experience for him.

For the record, I loved Naples and would welcome a chance to go back. But I never could understand what anyone was saying.

Edited by Vort