High Holy Days

cathyyg

The High Holy Days are nearly here. Now is the time to complain about ticket prices, for those whose tickets are not included in synagogue membership, or who lack synagogue membership. I am ready to hear the shofar! I am planning my big dinner already. 

Anybody got any suggested reading as we head into the Days of Awe?

The Central Synogogue in New York livestreams their services - they are Reform, after all - but it is a great option for attending services if you can't make it to a service in person.

2 hours ago, cathyyg said:

The High Holy Days are nearly here. Now is the time to complain about ticket prices, for those whose tickets are not included in synagogue membership, or who lack synagogue membership. I am ready to hear the shofar! I am planning my big dinner already. 

Anybody got any suggested reading as we head into the Days of Awe?

The Central Synogogue in New York livestreams their services - they are Reform, after all - but it is a great option for attending services if you can't make it to a service in person.

Wow!!!!

Thank you.... I will definitely keep this option in mind because I always ask for Yom Kippur off from work.......

and then I start working on some of the other High Holy Days if possible.......

......(my theology is rather liberal so I weasel around cleaning up the school so that nasty diseases don't get passed on the next day)........

You actually might find my own story kind of interesting........

I had a really strange ten years from 1990 - 2000......

that kind of remind me of "days of Awe?!"

Disillusionment with what Rabbi Yeshua - Jesus accomplished was on my mind back in 1990....... at Yom Kippur..... partly because my dad had died on January 1, 1990.  My first years to actually fast on Yom Kippur would be the late '70's.  

Could the Christian gospel be much worse news?

Back around 1990 I went through a pretty serious theological crisis when I found out that the Soul Sleep theory was in error. I had believed in it pretty firmly since the early '70's. It sure sounded a whole lot more humane than the gospel as presented by Dr. Billy Graham..... that had inspired me to become an Atheist from around 1967 - 1973 until I began to listen to Evangelist Garner Ted Armstrong. 

Without Soul Sleep until the resurrection......
the plan of G-d as explained by Rabbi Yeshua - Jesus sounded pretty awful.

Matthew 22:14

"For many are called, but few are chosen."

Matthew 7:13

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."

Matthew 5:28

"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast itfrom thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell."

So the possible reality of this hell.... that is so scary that it would be a good idea to take an axe to our right hand....
made the Gospel / Good News..... look a whole lot less good. 

Near death experiencer Bob Jones was shown that only about two percent of people in North America can go quickly into the paradise / heaven environment after death.

http://www.thequickenedword.com/rhema/BobJonesTestimonyAugust81975DeathExperience.htm

So I looked at that line. It was so horrible and everyone when they came there, they recognized Him. Their eyes got big, and everyone that is going to hell has had a witness in one way or another that there is a God. And everyone of them willingly denied Him. For each 2 in the line that I was in, there was 98 in the other line.

I watched the Lord speak to people that were coming there. And He asked them only one question: “Did you learn to love?” He’s not going to ask you what you did. If you learn to love you are going to do that which is right. Did you learn to love? (3) He would ask them that question and they would say, Yes Lord and He would kiss them right on the lips and embrace them and the double doors of His heart would open and they would go right on in.

Some of them had a lot of angels with them and they would go on in. The angels went in because they had testimonies, they helped people do things on the earth. They have no testimony until they help you do something. You are the ones that will judge angels by their rewards for what they helped you do. (4) They are more willing to help you do something, than you are willing to submit and let them help you do it.

As I came close to the Lord, I was thinking, “I learned to love. I’m OK, I’m going home.” As I did, He held His hand up to me and said, “No I want you to go back.” I told Him, “It was too hard to get here. I don’t want to because I wasn’t doing any good there.” He said, “You are a liar, because you spoke My Words and My Words will always bring it to pass.” I said, “Well nobody was believing it and it was painful.” He said, “Yes, and you have a cowardly nature too. [Up there, it’s the truth.] (5) But you love. You had a heart for souls. I want you to go back. If you look at that line over there and then tell me you want to come in, I will bring you in.”

I looked at that line and looked at their faces and said I would go back for one. I would go back and spend a day on a cross for one. He said, “I’m not sending you back for that. I’m sending you back to wake up the church because I am going to bring a billion youth to Myself. In one of the greatest waves of all times. I’m going to honor Myself beyond anything that man can imagine. I want you to go back and touch the church and speak to the church of what I am going to do in these last days.” So I told Him I would come back.

So.......  after taking far too much of a nutritional product called M.... for about two years........

I am going through all this anger....... and disillusionment.........and I remember Isaiah 45 verse 1.... I raise my hand.... .and challenge Moshiach to take me by the right hand... as Moshiach had done for the ancient Gentile King Cyrus.......

I thank Moshiach for doing an Academy Award winning rendition of Messiah the Passover Lamb but...........

I felt that there had to be some hidden gold in the statement......

"but the goat on which the lot fell for Aza'zel shall be presented alive before the LORD
to make atonement over it, that it may be sent away into the wilderness
to Aza'zel." (Leviticus 16:10)

and I went all radical in my interpretation of this verse....... and what it might perhaps mean............ for the long term......??????

[Mod hat on]

While there isn’t a ban in this subforum on discussing parallels between Jewish and Christian/Latter-day Saint practice (and indeed, we’d love to encourage that sort of discussion); as a matter of courtesy it’s not a bad idea to keep things relatively close to the topic the original poster first originated.  There’s a fine line between thread drift and thread jacking, and we may be flirting with it a bit.  ;) 

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Cathyyg could you explain to us what the days of awe are?  What kind of activities do you plan?  What kind of a meal do you have?  I love learning more about our brothers and sisters of the Jewish faith.

The Days of Awe is the literal translation of the Hebrew term for the 10 days starting with Rosh Hashanah and ending with Yom Kippur. Better known as the High Holy Days. On Rosh Hashanah the Book of Life for the next year is written, and on Yom Kippur it is sealed. The second most famous prayer segment from the special service:

On Rosh Hashanah will be inscribed and on Yom Kippur will be sealed – how many will pass from the earth and how many will be created; who will live and who will die; who will die after a long life[29] and who before his time; who by water and who by fire, who by sword and who by beast, who by famine and who by thirst, who by upheaval [30] and who by plague, who by strangling and who by stoning. Who will rest and who will wander, who will live in harmony and who will be harried, who will enjoy tranquility and who will suffer, who will be impoverished and who will be enriched, who will be degraded and who will be exalted. But Repentance, Prayer, and Charity annul the severe Decree."

The holiday greeting is “May you be inscribed and sealed for a good year.” 

We are commanded to hear the shofar blown (the ram's horn) as a call for repentance on Rosh Hashanah. The shofar is blown 100 times in the Rosh Hashanah service. It is a very long service, several hours.

It is traditional to eat apple slices dipped in honey, symbolizing a sweet year. The challah is made in a round or ring shape, rather than oval or oblong loaves, because Rosh Hashanah is also the Jewish calendar New Year, symbolizing the continuation of life and time from one year to the next. Apple cake is traditional, too.

On erev Rosh Hashanah, 18 minutes before the holiday begins at sunset, I will light candles and recite the blessings, particularly the Shehecheyanu. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shehecheyanu

I will be making a brisket, obviously, and challah. I make a honey-apple bundt cake. I'll do a salad of chopped cucumbers and tomatoes. Oh, potatoes and carrots cooked with the brisket, and quarts of gravy. I keep it much, much simpler than most, usually opting out of the traditional tzimmes, matzoh ball soup, kugel, and gefilte fish.

On the afternoon of Rosh Hashanah I will do tashlich, putting bread crumbs into the local river to be washed away, eventually reaching the sea, representing the washing away of my sins.  https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/tashlikh/

During those 10 days I will be asking forgiveness from those I have wronged, and giving forgiveness to those who may have wronged me. We are as obliged to give forgiveness as we are obliged to ask for it. I will be considering if my efforts to improve myself are adequate, and if I have been remiss in my observance of the commandments. (I have been; I am a very liberal, rather than traditional, Jew)

September is a long, long month for Jewish people. Right after Yom Kippur comes Sukkot, which is a week long, then Shemini Atzerat, followed by Simcha Torah. I will talk about those after Yom Kippur.

Thank you so much.  That was so interesting.

There is a company that I do business with frequently that is operated by people of the Jewish faith.  They close for all Jewish holidays.  They even close when the Jewish Sabbath starts which includes shutting down the option to purchase anything from their website.  I have a high respect for people that practice their faith above the bottom dollar.  I have noticed that they are closed much more in September.