We need to discuss shaving

Lost Boy

What is your preferred method and how often?

Shaving razor/shaver type?

Shaving cream type, if you use?

Aftershave?

With or against the grain?

Lady's, you are welcome to join in.

Razor - Gillette Fusion Regular or Proglide.  I find the proglide at first gives a closer shave, but after a couple of days dulls a bit whereas the regular version seems to stay sharper longer.  I have tried Dorco, and their razor is not bad, but it clogs a lot and dulls quicker, but is quite a bit cheaper.

shaving cream -  I just use regular bar soap in the shower.  I might look at something else in the future.

Aftershave -  I use none.

I shave once per day.  Me lady does not appreciate a face that is not smooth.   I shave with the grain and then against.  If I don't shave against, I have never been able to get it baby smooth.

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

I trim my beard/mustache monthly .

5 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

https://www.usa.philips.com/c-m-pe/face-stylers-and-grooming-kits/vacuum-beard-trimmer?origin=7_700000001596965_71700000025679013_58700003217193095_43700025388889512

6 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

I shave once per day.  Me lady does not appreciate a face that is not smooth.   I shave with the grain and then against.  If I don't shave against, I have never been able to get it baby smooth.

My wife hates it when I trim my beard, and I haven't been clean shaven for over 15 years. 

In the shower. Soap only, whatever is available. Both with and then against for extra smooth. Mach 3 razor.
I haven't spent money on shaving since I was a teen, except for the ridiculous cost of replacement blades.

4 minutes ago, Grunt said:

At work I use a 1958 Gillette Fatboy, Van Der Hagen shave butter, and a locally sourced aftershave (or Clubman).  At home, when I bother to shave, I use a variety of straight razors with locally sourced soap, a badger brush, and locally sourced aftershave.

Get that guy a magazine spread - male model photo op!

Ugh.  One of those things my husband and I don't see eye to eye on.  I prefer clean-shaven men.  And that's probably because in the Philippines, mustache is associated with drug cartels and beards are associated with terrorists.  My husband used to be super clean-shaven as that was the "look" his modelling agency preferred.  He has this square jaw that I just find dashing.  Anyway, this new-fangled lumberjack look became popular and now he likes sporting that one-day-old hairy face look.  And I don't like it.  But he won't indulge me on it because he thinks I have to get over the prejudice of drug cartels and terrorists (that's what he says, but I think he's just enjoying being lazy. ;)).  But then he'd surprise me and shave it all off again, so it's like Christmas when that happens.

Anyway, he uses Harry's shave gel and a Norelco thingamagig.

I don't shave.  I epilate.  I use a Remington.

Shaving?  Skip for me.

Husband is free to skip too, and honestly his beard grows so fast he has a 5-o-clock-shadow by 10 AM.  He'll usually keep it relatively trimmed with ... a fancy electrical razor that I'm never supposed to touch (aka loose, cause that's what will happen).  

49 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

In the shower. Soap only, whatever is available. Both with and then against for extra smooth. Mach 3 razor.
I haven't spent money on shaving since I was a teen, except for the ridiculous cost of replacement blades.

Your blades don't last because you aren't drying them properly afterwards. 

Clean and dry them after each usage and they will last for months/years. 

I shaved my head and face for well over a decade every single day. I once used the same disposable razor for over a year and a half. 

Clean. Dry thoroughly. Oxidation is the enemy here. 

8 minutes ago, Colirio said:

Dry thoroughly. Oxidation is the enemy here. 

Only thing that comes to mind is using my wife's blow dryer? Any other suggestions on how to dry the blades out better?
Thanks for the suggestion as well.

Guest LiterateParakeet

One of my treasured possessions is a picture of my husband at about 16 -shaving. I  don't know why, but I find shaving incredibly sexy. I still love to watch my husband shave occasionally.  

Perhaps that was TMI, Lol!

1 hour ago, Lost Boy said:

Shaving cream type, if you use?

Aftershave?

With or against the grain?

Shower, three or so times per week.

Dollar Shave Club blade

No cream, no soap. On rare occasion I have used hair conditioner, which works surprisingly well, but generally just water.

No aftershave.

With the grain, then across, then against if there are still rough patches.

One of my sons gave me an old-style single-blade (double-edge) safety razor for  Christmas, along with a large supply of blades. I have used it a couple of times, and am considering transitioning to it. He swears it gives him the best shave ever, much better than disposables ever could.

7 minutes ago, Vort said:

Shower, three or so times per week.

Dollar Shave Club blade

No cream, no soap. On rare occasion I have used hair conditioner, which works surprisingly well, but generally just water.

No aftershave.

With the grain, then across, then against if there are still rough patches.

One of my sons gave me an old-style single-blade (double-edge) safety razor for  Christmas, along with a large supply of blades. I have used it a couple of times, and am considering transitioning to it. He swears it gives him the best shave ever, much better than disposables ever could.

Dollar shave club is the same as Dorco.  Buying direct from Dorco is significantly cheaper in my experience.

I've tried water only and it just rips my face up.

43 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

Dollar shave club is the same as Dorco.  Buying direct from Dorco is significantly cheaper in my experience.

Personally, I think if your dollar (bill or coin) is growing hair you've got problems a razor won't really solve. That someone thought there should be a club full of people shaving dollars is sufficiently disturbing that I'm not going to comment further.

I have a full beard, but I still clean up high on my checks and on my throat. I use a double edged safety razor. The kind that you unscrew a piece on the handle and it opens up and you place a little razor inside it.

Absolutely love the thing. They take a bit of practice to get used to, the blades are vastly cheaper. I bought a pack of 100 blades sometime last year for 20 bucks and since I only do clean up I've barely put a dent in them. If I was regularly shaving I'd probably go through a razor a week or so.

I have a mug with some shaving soap that came with my 100 blade pack, it has also lasted this whole time. I use boar bristle brush to lather up the soap.

Edited by jerome1232

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, zil said:

Someone did a survey once1 and found shaving was, if not the, one of the sexiest things men do every day (according to the women who see them do stuff every day).

1Impeccable source there.

LOL!  I love it! 

I use regular hair clippers at the lowest setting, approximately once every month - 2 months, then follow up with a Gillette blade using either hair conditioner or lotion instead of shaving cream (I find it more comfortable).  I sometimes trim the beard in between, but most of the time I have a short beard.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, person0 said:

Does that number include when you bathe your three children?  :lol:

Sadly, I don't have children. 

Speaking of kids though, at the orientation we had before our exchange student arrived, the lady in charge said "Americans shower and bathe more than any other culture out there. So it's not weird if your kid doesn't take a bath for three days."