The Church policy on name

cathyyg

Well, I read an article today that says the Church doesn't want to be called either the Mormon church or for the abbreviation LDS to be used. They want to have their name, when shortened, to be The Church of Jesus Christ.

I will go out on a limb here and predict failure. Mormon and LDS are used because anything else is inconveniently long.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/17/us/mormon-church-name-trnd/index.html

1 hour ago, cathyyg said:

Well, I read an article today that says the Church doesn't want to be called either the Mormon church or for the abbreviation LDS to be used. They want to have their name, when shortened, to be The Church of Jesus Christ.

I will go out on a limb here and predict failure. Mormon and LDS are used because anything else is inconveniently long.

The only failure to be had is failure in the individual members.

I am choosing to obey the prophet and to start using the correct name.

16 hours ago, Fether said:

The only failure to be had is failure in the individual members.

I am choosing to obey the prophet and to start using the correct name.

You are overlooking usage by the general public. If it fails there, it fails, as it is an effort to “Christianize” the image of the Church. If the rest of the world continues to refer to your church members as Mormons or LDS, as if they were something other than Christians, then the attempt to rename will fail, as it did in 1982, 2001, and 2011. And, frankly, your dogma differs from standard Christian dogma significantly enough that the basic Christian nature of the Church is validly questioned.

8 minutes ago, cathyyg said:

You are overlooking usage by the general public. If it fails there, it fails, as it is an effort to “Christianize” the image of the Church. If the rest of the world continues to refer to your church members as Mormons or LDS, as if they were something other than Christians, then the attempt to rename will fail, as it did in 1982, 2001, and 2011. And, frankly, your dogma differs from standard Christian dogma significantly enough that the basic Christian nature of the Church is validly questioned.

Phewwww, thanks for coming here and clarifying that for us.

19 minutes ago, cathyyg said:

Well, that's that.  I'll let the Prophet know.  He can pass it along to The Christ.

1 hour ago, cathyyg said:

I don’t think President Nelson had ANY intention for this to extend to the general public 

11 minutes ago, Fether said:

I don’t think President Nelson had ANY intention for this to extend to the general public 

It's actually part of the news release:

See the updated Newsroom style guide, which provides direction on how to properly refer to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The Style Guide is a reference for the general public (especially news agencies) to use when figuring out how to talk about the church.

12 minutes ago, Fether said:

I agree (assuming "general public" means "John Q. Public walking down the sidewalk in Anywhere Anycountry".  Members and the media (folks who use style guides):

The Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He has revealed for His Church, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We have work before us to bring ourselves in harmony with His will. In recent weeks, various Church leaders and departments have initiated the necessary steps to do so. Additional information about this important matter will be made available in the coming months.

See the updated Newsroom style guide, which provides direction on how to properly refer to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In the coming months, Church websites and materials will be updated to reflect this direction from President Nelson.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/name-of-the-church

IMO, the general public will tend to use whatever term(s) they hear most.

The interesting thing about this is the skyrocketing speculative-extrapolation-to-concrete-knowledge ratio.

The Church has basically said “we want to re-emphasize our proper name, and you may be seeing some changes to some internal bureaucratic practices—and by the way, we’re asking the press to basically do the same thing we’ve repeatedly asked them to do in the past”.  And suddenly there’s all this talk of “rebranding” and “PR” and “desperately trying to revive a dying faith” from outsiders and heterodox church members; and hand-wringing amongst orthodox Saints over the apparent sinfulness of ever again uttering the “M” word in mixed company  . . .

Can we all just chill a bit? ;) 

Edited by Just_A_Guy

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

The interesting thing about this is the skyrocketing speculative-extrapolation-to-concrete-knowledge ratio.

The Church has basically said “we want to re-emphasize our proper name, and you may be seeing some changes to some internal bureaucratic practices—and by the way, we’re asking the press to basically do the same thing we’ve repeatedly asked them to do in the past”.  And suddenly there’s all this talk of “rebranding” and “PR” and “desperately trying to revive a dying faith” from outsiders and heterodox church members; and hand-wringing amongst orthodox Saints over the apparent sinfulness of ever again uttering the “M” word in mixed company  . . .

Can we all just chill a bit? ;) 

Could we take a pledge not to be rude with each other about this? Not during classes especially as rudeness really drives away the spirit. I know that your priesthood, Sunday school and Relief Society teacher looks confident but they are keeping a lot of balls in the air. Teaching is nerve racking for many.

44 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Could we take a pledge not to be rude with each other about this? Not during classes especially as rudeness really drives away the spirit. I know that your priesthood, Sunday school and Relief Society teacher looks confident but they are keeping a lot of balls in the air. Teaching is nerve racking for many. 

I think most of the folks on this forum aren't going to be rude about it, but I doubt any of us are in your Sunday classes... :)  But we could probably take a pledge to come across the border and beat up any of your ward members who get rude about it.... :mellow:

47 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Teaching is nerve racking for many.

Not in CTR5 it isn't.  I mean, where else do you go and teach a lesson on Obedience, have a game where your teaching companion is acting as your parents while you're acting as a "stranger on the street" and you tell the kids to obey the instructions and they obey the "stranger on the street" and you ask them why and they say, "the good samaritan helped the stranger on the street" (from a lesson we had 2 Sundays ago)...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2018 at 7:09 PM, cathyyg said:

i'd argue its used more as that was a term applied by critics and dissenters way back in the day which then got adopted by the public- and that is what the public identifies us as... and it's easier to go with the public than it is to change the public. on a technical side it would be like going around calling christians paulians or peterans.

On 8/19/2018 at 2:51 PM, zil said:

IMO, the general public will tend to use whatever term(s) they hear most.

No: they'll use whatever is easiest. 

Just look at how many medications and diseases were referred to in long form in literature, yet are only known by acronyms or simplified names now. 

On 9/2/2018 at 11:47 AM, NightSG said:

No: they'll use whatever is easiest. 

Just look at how many medications and diseases were referred to in long form in literature, yet are only known by acronyms or simplified names now. 

My son was just complaining about how Mercury is Hg, God is Au, Silver is Ag, Lead is Pb, etc. etc.  He's like... WHY CAN'T THEY JUST CHANGE THESE SYMBOLS TO BE MORE MNEMONIC... HUH?  HUH?  HUH?

Okay, I thought it related to your post now I'm thinking... does it really?  Oh well.  My brain is still on vacation.

On 9/4/2018 at 9:37 PM, anatess2 said:

My son was just complaining about how Mercury is Hg, God is Au, Silver is Ag, Lead is Pb, etc. etc.  He's like... WHY CAN'T THEY JUST CHANGE THESE SYMBOLS TO BE MORE MNEMONIC... HUH?  HUH?  HUH?

That's easy; Latin.  Hydrargyrum, Aurum, Argentum, Plumbum.