The Church policy on name

cathyyg

3 hours ago, Fether said:

Ya... But name one country in the world that still speaks Latin 

Isn’t it the official language of the Vatican?

Our ex-SP is a mucky muck in the CES whose immediate supervisor was supposedly in a meeting with President Nelson in the last couple of weeks.  Last night at a stake Institute class that he (ex-SP) teaches, he claimed that in this meeting President Nelson stated that the Lord is offended that we have, as a people, gotten away from using His name to describe ourselves. 

It’s multiple layers of hearsay, to be sure; but it did give me pause and makes me take this all a bit more seriously.  

4 hours ago, Fether said:

Ya... But name one country in the world that still speaks Latin 

Italy.

Also France, Spain, Portugal, Romania, Switzerland, Brazil, Chile, Honduras, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Cuba, Mexico, Canada, Argentina, Bolivia (you know, where Mike Tyson went), and quite a few other countries. Latin is a thriving language in all its dialects, perhaps the most widespread language in the world today.

14 hours ago, NightSG said:

That's easy; Latin.  Hydrargyrum, Aurum, Argentum, Plumbum.

Right... that's why he's like... those words are not in common use anymore so they should change the symbols to be mnemonic of what they are currently called... you know, like how the Church is trying to change what we're referred to... meaning... more likely not gonna happen/catch on because Mercury is still symbolized as Hg.... anyway, I thought it related.