What’s the Big Hullabaloo About the Sacrament?

If you're looking for an exegetically advanced article answering all your questions about the ordinance of the sacrament, I'm sorry to disappoint. Don't let my use of the word exegetically fool you, I'm just your average dude with gospel questions, just like you. The most recent questions that have been rattling around in my head have to do with the ordinance of the sacrament. Based on how heavily modern prophets emphasize the sabbath day and the sacrament's role in it, it seems like a HUGE DEAL—but as of late I've struggled to understand why the sacrament is such a huge deal. Is it more than just eight minutes of folding my arms and trying not to think about what I'm going to eat when I get home from church? If it's not a "saving" ordinance, it can't be that important, right? Apparently one of its purposes is to renew the covenant and blessings of baptism, but forgiveness of sin isn't exclusive to Sundays, so what makes the sacrament unique? What can I...

View the full article