And Bring Save It Be One Soul Unto Me...

I had to share a wonderful experience I just had.

I was recently feeling like I was simply not making a difference in anything I did.  No matter what I tried or how hard I worked, it just didn't seem to even make a dent or a scratch.  It got me thinking about all the failures of my mission.  I had baptized and taught many converts.  Slowly, I kept hearing about how this one and that one had left the Church or gone inactive, etc.  I had thought that my entire mission was a waste of time.  How on earth can the rest of my life matter?  In some ways it could be said that they were even worse off than before -- the turning away from truth thing.

I was at work yesterday and received an email notification on my phone.  The alert shows the first line or so.  I viewed it as unimportant and probably spam.  It was a name I didn't recognize and the first words were:  Dear Carborendum... (And my full name was misspelled -- as it usually is by people who don't know me).  So, I ignored it for a while.

At lunch time yesterday I opened up my texts and emails.  What a pleasant surprise!

The writer explained that he was the son of my last baptizee from my mission.  This truly was a miracle baptism. He was single at the time of baptism.  So, I've never even heard of the son being born.  I'm not sure if I've shared parts of that story on the forum here.  But I may have.  This was the only person from my mission that I had confirmation that he was keeping the faith.

The son is now serving a mission in Estonia.  He said such kind words about me and how much esteem his father held me in.  And today he's telling the story of his father's conversion to many people in Estonia.  He's been doing so for 18 months.  The story has touched many hearts.  And he felt like he just had to contact me and tell me about it.

What a blessing!  I can't express to you the love, tenderness, joy, and peace that I felt at reading his words.  I now know exactly what the scripture means.  How great shall be your joy...

Carb, I couldn’t help but cry happy tears when I read your news. “How great shall be your joy” is truly what one feels when bringing souls into the gospel. I’m so happy for you.

I served my mission in Germany and baptisms were not easy to find. I decided long ago, that if the only soul that was saved was me, then my mission was worth it. I think most of my converts have fallen away. There may be one, maybe two, that remain active. I don’t really know. But, I came away with a strong testimony of the restored church. I’m so grateful!