Am I an extremist?

LePeel

My best friend calls me an extremist because I won't watch movies or shows with profanity, blasphemy, or anything depicting or referencing sex. This just seems to me to be the correct direction.

Now here's the thing. If I follow this direction and reasoning, I shouldn't tolerate profanity in any degree. Therefore, I shouldn't watch something like Star Wars: A New Hope, which has one D word and one H word. It seems somewhat true to me that drawing lines between "okay" profanity and "not okay" profanity is intellectual pride and therefore the line should be drawn at all profanity and vulgar language. Although this seems right in principle, it doesn't seem right in practice, like turning it off because it said the D word. 

What do you think?

19 minutes ago, LePeel said:

My best friend calls me an extremist because I won't watch movies or shows with profanity, blasphemy, or anything depicting or referencing sex. This just seems to me to be the correct direction.

Now here's the thing. If I follow this direction and reasoning, I shouldn't tolerate profanity in any degree. Therefore, I shouldn't watch something like Star Wars: A New Hope, which has one D word and one H word. It seems somewhat true to me that drawing lines between "okay" profanity and "not okay" profanity is intellectual pride and therefore the line should be drawn at all profanity and vulgar language. Although this seems right in principle, it doesn't seem right in practice, like turning it off because it said the D word. 

What do you think?

You do you.  Don't worry about what other people think. 

1 hour ago, LePeel said:

What do you think?

I think about this often.

I once spoke with a sealer at the temple that talked about how he and his wife never watch movies anymore. The last one he saw was 3 years ago and a bishop recommended it to him, telling him it was very clean. He then said “15 minutes in they took the Lords name in vain so we walked out.”

I would have a hard time living in such a way and don’t know that it is right to suggest we all ought to... but I also struggle believing those words coming out of my mouth.

I am also reminded of the many Hollywood, musical, literature and theatrical references the apostles use in their talks that contain some amount of profanity and “impure” topics such as Les Mis and StarWars.

1 hour ago, LePeel said:

What do you think?

You are not an extremist for doing you....  You might be an extremist if you tried to make everyone else do you or condemned people who did not live up to your standards..  But I did not get that from this post.

You and your friend are both right. It is what you are comfortable with. She can watch films that fall within the gospel standards and you can watch films you like. She can call you extreme and you can call her wicked. None of you are wrong for watching a film that falls within appropriate rating standards. 

3 hours ago, LePeel said:

What do you think?

Of course you're an extremist.  But so what?

Are you doing what you honestly feel the Spirit is Guiding you to do?  Then do it.  What else matters?

13 hours ago, LePeel said:

What do you think?

Yep.  You are on the extreme end of extremism.  I will make it a point to notify the FBI immediately!  lol!

Seriously, who cares?  Is it extremism?  Who cares?  Does your friend approve of it?  Who cares? 

Me, personally, I don't watch TV.  Why would I want to invite, into my home, the same kind of human trash I see on TV?  If I want a clean home, keep the garbage out.

18 hours ago, LePeel said:

What do you think?

There's no such thing as an extremist in the Gospel.  We are all supposed to be extremists... (not to say Pharisaical).

But, as far as I'm concerned (which is NOT what you should be concerned with) I don't bother with controlling what other people say.  I only bother with what I (and my kids) say.  For example, my kids' school - especially the schoolbus - would rival an R-rated movie in profanity.  I'm fine with them going to school and riding the bus.  I'm not fine with them emulating their friends in their manner of speaking.  Also, my family's standards of vulgar is wonky due to our multicultural household.  Leche - Spanish word for Milk - in my house is vulgar.  It is profane because that word is used in my hometown in the Philippines to be like the N-word but for "white people".  So, I taught my kids to mind their thoughts and that words convey those thoughts.  The word Hell, for example, is fine in our house if used for it's proper context instead of as a profanity.  Substitution words like Heck for the profanity doesn't make the word unprofane.  Leche is fine in our house if used in its proper context.  Saying the word in English doesn't make it a good word if it's still used in the context of a racial slur.

It's not uncommon for my kids and their friends to be arguing (usually while playing D&D) and all of a sudden I hear one of them get shocked and say... Substitution Word!  Their friends have learned that too.  But they don't go to their school or even to Church and tell people there - You can't say Heck!  And, of course, we don't care if people on TV/movies say it in the process of telling a good story if we care enough about the story.  We are big Star Wars fans.  Yes, we hate The Last Jedi.

Edited by anatess2

What do you think?

If an accurate movie was made of my life (especially while I was in the military) - you would not watch it with your standards.  Though, because of my standards - I avoid such references - life has forced me into many places and times where I was forced in real life circumstances that did not wand or desire.  I do make an effort to avoid such circumstances but I have found it almost impossible to avoid such things in the entertainment industry.  I have walked out of movies and asked for a refund.  It does not happen often because I specifically avoid R rated movies.

But I would add - in my older age I am becoming to wonder and ponder that of all things depicted in movies and shows - perhaps violence is worse than all that you have listed as deplorable - especially violence by "good" guys and gals outside of the law. 

The Traveler

15 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

There's no such thing as an extremist in the Gospel.  We are all supposed to be extremists... (not to say Pharisaical).

But, as far as I'm concerned (which is NOT what you should be concerned with) I don't bother with controlling what other people say.  I only bother with what I (and my kids) say.  For example, my kids' school - especially the schoolbus - would rival an R-rated movie in profanity.  I'm fine with them going to school and riding the bus.  I'm not fine with them emulating their friends in their manner of speaking.  Also, my family's standards of vulgar is wonky due to our multicultural household.  Milk, for example, when said in Spanish in my house is vulgar.  It is profane because that word is used in my hometown in the Philippines to be like the N-word but for "white people".  So, I taught my kids to mind their thoughts and that words convey those thoughts.  The word Hell, for example, is fine in our house if used for it's proper context instead of as a profanity.  Substitution words like Heck for the profanity doesn't make the word unprofane.  The Spanish word for milk is fine in our house if used in its proper context.  Saying the word in English doesn't make it a good word if it's still used in the context of a racial slur.

It's not uncommon for my kids and their friends to be arguing (usually while playing D&D) and all of a sudden I hear one of them get shocked and say... Substitution Word!  Their friends have learned that too...

Your post reminds me of a family home evening where I (mostly in jest) instructed our family that we were going to clean up the language in our home and from then on we would greet visitors at the door or answer our phone with "Hecklow".

The Traveler

What do you think?

You need to worry about your own spiritual journey and not be concerned with what others think.

What's the "D" word? What's the "H" word? I'm going to assume damn and hell? Both words are are found in the scriptures.

How could you know how many were in each movie respectively? Does someone count them?