Do you get along with your Mother/Father in law?

Guest MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

Inspired by @NeuroTypicals "Dad post"

Without going into in depth family secrets and scandals, would you say you generally get along good with your Mother and Father in law? While I obviously don't know what they say when I'm not around, my in laws and I get along great, and my family likes @LadyGator much more than they like me! 

42 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Without going into in depth family secrets and scandals, would you say you generally get along good with your Mother and Father in law? While I obviously don't know what they say when I'm not around, my in laws and I get along great, and my family likes @LadyGator much more than they like me! 

My family likes @LadyGator much more than they like me! 

Really? Cough, cough! How amazing is that? We would never have thought that! 🤣

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

EVERYBODY likes @LadyGator better than you.

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I love my in-laws.  I hope it's reciprocal.  

My brother in law is one of my best friends, and I think he'd say the same about me. 

Guest MormonGator
54 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Oh.  I should have been more specific.  I don't include my brother-in-law in that statement.

Sorry to hear that. 

I'm very blessed because my BIL have the same interests. I think that helps. 

Even though me and my son's dad have been separated for 5 years (yes still married ....) His parents have always been there to help me and spend time with our son even though there own son doesn't. I am so grateful they take the time to build a relationship with my son even though his dad doesn't.

3 hours ago, mirkwood said:

EVERYBODY likes @LadyGator better than you.

Perhaps it has something to do with musical preferences? It can't be the pizza topping selection, because they seem to share the aversion to pineapples... Which I would have 100% supported until some time around age 15-16 when I decided they weren't so bad.

I mostly get along with my parents-in-law. My Father-in-law can get a little long-winded retelling the same old stories and can tend to always want to grouch about everything, so he isn't exactly fun to be around, but we know we can always count on him for help in an emergency. We have very little in common, but I respect him, and I think he respects me. My mother-in-law is wonderful in many ways, unfortunately her memory is slipping so conversation can be taxingly repetitive. She also can tend to have an unfortunate habit of bringing over stuff we don't need or want,  that makes it harder to purge our already over crowded house. The pack rat tendency in my wife's family is something of my nemesis that makes me think of my wife sometimes as my rattle snake - I knew what she was when I picked her up. I was optimistic that my cleanliness habits and standards would rub off on the family, unforunately the inverse is true. I am no longer as tidy and organized as I used to be and had a sense of pride from. So this is getting off topic a little, but I will say it affects my social life because I am not comfortable ever letting anyone see inside my house. It makes ministering brothers and sisters a burden too, because I really don't want anyone to see the never-ending mess.

As for my wife's brother, he doesn't talk to anyone it seems. He had a marriage end badly and moved back in with his folks and doesn't seem to ever leave his room in the basement where he presumably is playing video games. My sisters-in-law and their husbands are alright too. The younger of the two couples we'd be close with if they didn't live close to 1000 km away. The others are pleasant enough when we have family get-togethers, but my wife and that sister were never close and despite efforts to change that her sister is just not very involved in our lives and seems to often pass up invitations to do things together.

As far as in-laws that married into my family, I have a really neat brother-in-law who is loads of fun. I also have a sister-in-law who is a great addition to the family. I have two other brothers-in-law that don't ever want to be around with family things and when they are forced to by my sisters they resort to hiding out away on their own, so I really don't know them that well even though they've been part of the family a little over and a little under a decade.

Both my MIL and FIL have since passed away but I got along with both. My FIL was very social and charismatic that I used to think it was he who was responsibile for the social functions and get-to-gethers but when my MIL passed away it was very clear the she had been the glue that kept all the family members together and interactive. When my FIL remarried he seemed to find a new family with his stepchildren (and their children) and he wasn't one to take an interest in his own grandchildren (never called) but of course would take an interest if we reached out to him.

M.

Okay, I'm gonna share this story...

My siblings and I have not much problem getting along with our in-laws and our spouses have not much problem getting along with my parents (after I reconciled with my parents, my husband managed to charm them to his side).  Now... where the fun is if my mother gets along with her son/daughter-in-law's mother.  There was one time when my brother's mother-in-law stayed at my brother's house while my mother was also staying there.  One morning, the whole house went on an uproar as my mom dragged my brother's mother-in-law by her hair out the door and threw her bags out with her.  She told the driver to drive her over the bridge and drop her over the side.  

Shocked?  This is actually not abnormal in the Philippines especially in my family.  This is what happens when you wake the mama bear in my mother.  My brother's mother-in-law was disparaging my brother in his own house.  My brother wouldn't defend himself out of respect for his wife.  His wife, normally a wildcat, goes very timid when it comes to her mother.  My mother had enough of it.  Of course the driver, and the security guard for that matter, has strict instructions to consult my brother first before doing things like dropping their in-laws over the side of the bridge.

No worries... they're all friends again now.  My mother can be a terror when it comes to her family.  But she's also the first person to help people, especially her son's mother-in-law.

Both my wife and myself are now orphans.  It is a difficult question to answer concerning getting along with our in-laws.   My mother-in-law suffered greatly from bi-polar disorder.  Even though both my mother-in-law and father-in-law were well educated and were professionals in the work place (always working) they declared bankruptcy twice - interesting once was because of inheriting a fortune and overspending without planning for taxes.  Within a few years of retirement - 3 of their children (my wife included) were forced to take power of attorney and only allow them to deal with cash.

There were many difficult times - once I called the police to remove my father-in-law and mother-in-law from our home.  But what is strange in an odd way is why I got along with my mother-in-law and father-in-law better than any of their children.  The reason was  that I learned not to deal with my in-laws with emotion - especially anger.   I learned to deal with their difficulties with love.  I must admit that I was not the driving force to learn this - it was my wife.  She taught me how to deal with difficult conditions involving other people.  It was very difficult for her because she loved her parents and was often driven to anger.  This is where I learned to support her and make sure the situation was defused.  Sort of like separating arguing children before physical fighting breaks out.  What was a big revelation to me was during the last few years of my mother-in-laws life - it was necessary to sedate her for pain from failing organs.  Under sedation her personality changed and she became very compassionate and kind.  I do not know everything and many things are confusing to me but I have come to believe that there are physical problems that can cause - otherwise good, loving and kind children of our Father in Heaven to disconnect with reality and make what appears to the rest of us as bad choices.

I do not know why some people suffer mental problems - sometimes it is difficult to love them - but I believe that G-d does and will forgive them much quicker than many of us that are cruel because we have determined to do so without excuse.

The Traveler

On 8/27/2018 at 3:17 PM, MormonGator said:

I was lucky in this. I married someone from a foreign country. Only occasionally saw my in laws.  We got along great!

On 8/27/2018 at 5:17 PM, MormonGator said:

I get along great with my wife's entire family.  I'm estranged from my entire side of the family except for one sister and her branch of the family.

5 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

My husband and I are both orphans now.  We were not close to our parents, not for lack of trying on our part.  Ugh...

I envy you more than I can express! Spent yesterday shopping with my mother whose dementia causes her to be inappropriate. Well she could win medals for inappropriate!